+ Reply to Thread

Question Hair transplant with diffuse thinning?

Hey folks,

over the last 2 years, I have experienced some diffuse thinning which got a lot stronger this summer: I had a huge shed and jumped on Finasteride about 2 months ago. Shedding has somewhat been reduced, or at least I have the feeling it has over the last 3 weeks (now about 20, 30 hairs a day maybe; beforehand, at least double that amount with me being able to pull out hair everywhere on top with no force at all). I will stay on Fin and am aware that the full effects will only be visible after a year or so. I know of Nizoral and Minox of course, but would rather stay with Fin as I simply do not want the danger of another shed after the one I have just experienced.

My question now is about eligibility for a hair transplant: Can density be added to my hair through a transplant? Am I a candidate for a transplant? I am afraid my grafts in the front are still so tightly packed that a surgeon will not perform on me. I would also only care about the frontal third to keep the frame of my face. For your information, I will stay on Fin and was looking for a transplant in about 9 months. My donor also has not experienced shedding to the same extent.

Thanks a lot for reading and even more for replying

Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Nov 2015 (3).jpg

Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	43194Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Nov 2015 (5).jpg

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	43195Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Nov 2015 (2).jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	43196Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Nov 2015 (4).jpg

Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	43197

Doctor Representative Medikemos Clinic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thinningbadly View Post
    Hey folks,

over the last 2 years, I have experienced some diffuse thinning which got a lot stronger this summer: I had a huge shed and jumped on Finasteride about 2 months ago. Shedding has somewhat been reduced, or at least I have the feeling it has over the last 3 weeks (now about 20, 30 hairs a day maybe; beforehand, at least double that amount with me being able to pull out hair everywhere on top with no force at all). I will stay on Fin and am aware that the full effects will only be visible after a year or so. I know of Nizoral and Minox of course, but would rather stay with Fin as I simply do not want the danger of another shed after the one I have just experienced.

My question now is about eligibility for a hair transplant: Can density be added to my hair through a transplant? Am I a candidate for a transplant? I am afraid my grafts in the front are still so tightly packed that a surgeon will not perform on me. I would also only care about the frontal third to keep the frame of my face. For your information, I will stay on Fin and was looking for a transplant in about 9 months. My donor also has not experienced shedding to the same extent.

Thanks a lot for reading and even more for replying

Attachment 43194Attachment 43195Attachment 43196Attachment 43197
    Thank you for presenting your case for all of us to comment on. A hair transplant might be possible but it is difficult to say from your photos. Proper recipient zone preparation would be necessary in the form of shaving so that the spaces between hairs can be seen clearly. To determine for sure would require at least a Skype video call. What is your age? It is possible that in nine months, when you said you plan to have a procedure, you may not want one as the medication and topical regimen you have implemented may in fact reverse your thinning to the point that a procedure is not necessary. I would recommend that you simply allow the medication the time is deserves to do what it is going to do then reassess.

Dear Medikemos,

thanks for your reply. I am 23. The fact that it might not be possible is exactly what I am afraid about. To what degree is hair transplantation possible with diffuse thinning in general?

The above reply is a solid one. You need to wait out at least 9 months and see if you can stabalize your hair loss. If you can, through the medication, a transplant may be an option. based on your photos, however, I would not recommend transplanting too much within the native hair. If you stabalize it, why not go right in front of it, just a half inch with a densely packed hair line. It would cover up the thinning behind it... remember though, always plan for possible loss in the future.

Default Suggestion regarding Hair Transplantation after diffuse thining

Hi, Talking about hair diffusing we need to know the age and from what state particular person has started losing their hair, as you have described your case and seeking for hair transplantation. But looking at your images and through the proper analysis Hair transplantation can be done with proper surgeon. There are several risks regarding it like the risk factor for your permanent hair.

Several medications like Propecia and or Rogaine will help to strengthen your hair life ; talking about donor, if you are having good donor then you can prefer hair transplantation with more secure parameter. Other options like Scalp Micro pigmentation but for that you need to have a proper medical consultation

Hi all,
    thank you so much for your answers! I definitely understand the relation between shock loss and for that reason lowering the hairline about half an inch.
    However, I would rather not do so even in the case of shock loss. Is it not possible to pack the very front of my hairline particularly dense so that even if shock loss occurs, I will still have enough transplanted hair there for it not to be apparent? Further, I am quite happy with my hairline and would rather not change it.

Nonetheless, and I think I have mentioned that before, I will stay on Fin and see whether it helps me and seek a transplant in about 9 months time. Having said that: Hair loss is literally living hell and I am feeling sorry for everyone experiencing it, particularly at the early stages of life.

Quote Originally Posted by thinningbadly View Post
    Hi all,
    thank you so much for your answers! I definitely understand the relation between shock loss and for that reason lowering the hairline about half an inch.
    However, I would rather not do so even in the case of shock loss. Is it not possible to pack the very front of my hairline particularly dense so that even if shock loss occurs, I will still have enough transplanted hair there for it not to be apparent? Further, I am quite happy with my hairline and would rather not change it.

Nonetheless, and I think I have mentioned that before, I will stay on Fin and see whether it helps me and seek a transplant in about 9 months time. Having said that: Hair loss is literally living hell and I am feeling sorry for everyone experiencing it, particularly at the early stages of life.
    Hi Thinningbadly,

I know I speak for Dr. Lupanzula when I say that to dense pack your hairline with the idea that any future loss will be negated is intuitive, but mistaken. You can't compensate for loss that has yet to occur by going extra dense. There are a lot of challenges working in your existing hair just to improve it so to get hard core with density just compounds already existing potential problems. You can't place a hair on top of a hair to hide the future loss. I hope that makes sense. Just take it easy, be patient. You're very young and you have a lot of years of life to look forward to so don't waste any of them being overly concerned about your hair. Just be smart and be patient and the answers will present themselves.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors