+ Reply to Thread

Default Native shock loss

I'm almost 5 weeks post op and my doctor told me that I'd probably lose all my native hair in the temples because they were miniaturized. I've already lost some but for the most part they are all still there and growing. Has anyone else been fortunate with this. If they keep growing I can have decent coverage.

Brock, do you hve pics of the native areas? Even if you have strong hairs, if there is high density recipient planting, you can lose healthy hairs too. It depends on how a doc creates recipient sites and if there is massive trauma. There are docs that can put the right amount not risking much transection. I would closely keep an eye at the quality of hair there and how it is planted. Keep a photo album to track it. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by brocktherock View Post
    I'm almost 5 weeks post op and my doctor told me that I'd probably lose all my native hair in the temples because they were miniaturized. I've already lost some but for the most part they are all still there and growing. Has anyone else been fortunate with this. If they keep growing I can have decent coverage.
    Yeah, it just depends on you own personal physiology and how precise the recipients were created. In my personal case, I lost almost every native hair in the recipient site, but that occurred between 3-7 months after the transplant (not to scare you)... Telogen effluvium is pretty common after a hair transplant (most HT surgeons will not tell you this). I hope you are on finasteride and minox.

Im sure I've lost some, maybe the remaining hair is thinner but im glad I got to keep some at least. Also I am on finasteride and minoxidil. I don't think you should even consider a HT unless you were

Hi, as Dr. Rashid told its all natural to lose the hair loss after the operation no need to worry about it. If you still find some riddles behind your loss than catch the appropriate medical counselor as per the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBald068 View Post
    Hi, as Dr. Rashid told its all natural to lose the hair loss after the operation no need to worry about it. If you still find some riddles behind your loss than catch the appropriate medical counselor as per the requirement.
    What does this mean? Yes, there is a need to worry about it. You do NOT know if those hairs are growing back. It happened to me and it's happened to many many others. The constant complaint that, "I look balder than I did before the transplant" is a real one. When will doctors actually start telling the truth about this? Will shock loss grow back? If you have it in the crown and temples, have MPB and are not a good responder to fin, do the math, learn the science... why in the hell would it grow back? And, if it does, it won't be nearly as thick and healthy as before.

Im 7 weeks post op now and I still have a bunch of my temple hair. It grows more slowly and some of the hair is thick but thin in the middle like they were almost victims of shock loss. My point is finasteride and minox probably saved a bunch of these hairs. These hairs will probably be able to be saved later on with replicel or histogen. Im just glad I listened to more experienced people on this forum.

The one thing that confuses me with "shock loss", is that doctors say it occurs within the first 2 months after surgery. SOMEONE, please explain to me HOW this is POSSIBLE. In order for a hair to be shed, doesn't it first need to enter the telogen phase, which lasts 3-4 months, before it falls out? So, if it is "shocked" the day of surgery, wouldn't it fall out 3-4 months after? For me, I had very minimal loss the first couple months after surgery, then at the 3-4 month mark I had horrible TE, which makes sense and correlates with every single references definition of TE... so what is this "shock loss" jargon? I have asked this question several times and have never recieved a reputable answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    The one thing that confuses me with "shock loss", is that doctors say it occurs within the first 2 months after surgery.
    I don't recall hearing that the shock loss risk was limited to the first two months. Is there a specific example of a doctor saying this? I'm not disbelieving you that somebody's claimed that - I can recall people claiming that shock loss doesn't even exist, it's extremely rare, etc.

Also, I don't believe that there is only one specific cause of shock loss. It could be a systemic shock to the scalp (affecting hair in areas that weren't even touched by surgery). Or it could be very specific causes, for example from damage caused by the doctor when he makes the recipient sites, and gets too close to the native hairs with his scalpel.

I believe that shock loss could show up over a long period, if for example the hair didn't die immediately, but just miniaturized more quickly than they would have (maybe instead of taking 15 years to miniaturize, it only took one or two years, or more).

Q: Which doctors have studied shock loss in a clinical setting?
    A: None of them - talking about shock loss doesn't pay the bills. They don't even warn patients that it's possible, in many cases (sometimes, it's only in the fine print of the legal disclaimer).