+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking of getting Hair Transplant

Hi,

I have had SMP (Micropigmentation) or the 'tattoo thing' in other words. It is definitely worth doing. Makes a huge difference. Although it obviously is nothing like getting back a full head of hair, it frames your face, makes you look younger. Have had it for a year now and not a single person has questioned it. I have had my landlord say "You look well, have you lost weight". I have never been fat - I think he probably noticed my 'hair' had changed but didn't want to pick it out, or maybe he just didn't know what changed - but thought I looked better somehow. I have had a housemate say "Why don't you grow your hair out" and another say "Nice haircut". It is amazing how people don't actually realise and say "how did you get your hair back" or "you were bald before". The reaction is surprising, but positive.

If you have ruled SMP out - go research more. If you go to the right 'clinic' and the right tattoo artist - then you will get a good result. I passed this SMP stuff of as a bit of a joke to start with, but completely went 360 and realised it works.

Anyway......the negatives of SMP is that it doesn't hold up too great in the outdoors, especially on Sunny days.

I would like to somewhat change that by getting a Hair Transplant too. I think some hair on top will reduce glare + make the 'shadow' look stand out more and look even more realistic.

I am just after a thin covering. I would keep it shaved very short. I am a Norwood 6 - I basically have no hair on top apart from a few strands.

I am after something like this:

http://postimg.org/image/8x75ef2v1/

Can anyone take a guess and let me know approx how many grafts it would take to cover a NW6 scalp with this sort of density?

and what sort of cost it would be to have it done?

Thanks.

no answers? ok let's simplify this.....

How many Grafts do you think would cover a NW6 at this density: ?

http://postimg.org/image/8x75ef2v1/

It sounds like you have realistic expectations and have thoroughly researched this. I give you credit for that. I think if you are almost completely bald on top then, for results like the photo you posted, it would still require a lot of grafts... possible, yes, given you have sufficient donor supply. A couple things to bring up would be 1) if you let the transplanted hair grow out, even slightly, it may look a bit unusual under certain lighting. 2) scars are unavoidable. FUT or FUE, you are going to have scarring and you have to be o.k. with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    It sounds like you have realistic expectations and have thoroughly researched this. I give you credit for that. I think if you are almost completely bald on top then, for results like the photo you posted, it would still require a lot of grafts... possible, yes, given you have sufficient donor supply. A couple things to bring up would be 1) if you let the transplanted hair grow out, even slightly, it may look a bit unusual under certain lighting. 2) scars are unavoidable. FUT or FUE, you are going to have scarring and you have to be o.k. with this.
    Cheers.

I did see a HT surgeon in London before I had the SMP. I can't remember how many grafts they said I'd need, but they quoted me £15,000 and said they could do what I wanted.

In terms of growing the hair out.....I would shave with a razor with the grain every morning. So it will be fine. SMP looks fine with my hair shaved like this.....The added transplanted hair would improve it and I would possibly get away with shaving every other morning. I think the worst situation that it may look dodgy in is under bright lighting you find in bathrooms or high-street shops. Maybe just be a better option to make sure it is razor shaved before going out on a shopping trip.

I definitely wouldn't let it get as long as that guys in that photo. When I went to get SMP - one of the tattooists had had SMP - he had it Extremely dark and grew his hair out to 2 - 3mm in length - it looked terrible and blatantly obvious. Clearly someone that went over the top and went beyond what is realistic. They clearly just wanted their SMP to show up as much as possible in any light......big mistake, though it seems he was happy with it.

Scarring is an issue - though that can be covered up with another session of SMP - so can be fixed.

If grafts were hard to come by - would also be fine with the crown area being thinner than that density in the photo.