+ Reply to Thread

Default HT surgeon recommendations

Hello - I am a 35 year old male, approximately a NW3 - 4. I've been on Propecia for about 10 years, and it's likely slowed my MPB, but I think I'm really starting to lose the fight and am considering a hair transplant.

I live in Kansas City. Can anyone recommend a transplant surgeon anywhere in the midwest? I am looking to avoid the strip method, and would like someone who can use the FUE method.

I know he's in Miami, but can anyone provide any feedback on Dr. Jeffrey Epstein?

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrundel View Post
    Hello - I am a 35 year old male, approximately a NW3 - 4. I've been on Propecia for about 10 years, and it's likely slowed my MPB, but I think I'm really starting to lose the fight and am considering a hair transplant.

I live in Kansas City. Can anyone recommend a transplant surgeon anywhere in the midwest? I am looking to avoid the strip method, and would like someone who can use the FUE method.

I know he's in Miami, but can anyone provide any feedback on Dr. Jeffrey Epstein?

Thanks for any advice.
    Dr. Epstein has solid work under his belt but, yes, he's in Miami. There are a few IAHRS doctors in the mid-west, with six in Illinois alone. Use the "find a doctor" feature on the IAHRS website to find more information.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

What Joe said :-)
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Thank you to you both. Is 35 too young to have a hair transplant? Since I've been on Propecia as long as I have and it's to the point I think I need one, will this be a case of there's no point in having one since it seems like I'm going to continue to thin? I can post pics if need be.

Thank you to you both. Is 35 too young to have a hair transplant? Since I've been on Propecia as long as I have and it's to the point I think I need one, will this be a case of there's no point in having one since it seems like I'm going to continue to thin? I can post pics if need be.
    My opinion is that no one needs a hair transplant. I understand what you mean but it is worth mentioning. Yes, photos will help so please post them up.
    Joe Tillman

Here are my pictures[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_3.jpg

Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	42889[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg

Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	42886   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	42887   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	42888  

Sbrundel,

Thank you for uploading your photos. Strictly going by your degree of loss you look like you are indeed a candidate for surgery if you so wish. However, and this is the most important thing to consider, you'll need more surgery in the future. Why? Because you said that your loss is progressing while on Propecia. I assume you are taking name brand or are you taking generic? If generic, switch to name brand and wait six months to see if you have an improvement.

I can't see your hairline because your hair is covering it but if you have high temples then you're a NW3V, with "v" meaning vertex. If you were a NW4 most of the hair in the front would be gone. If you do wind up having surgery then be weary of trying to fill your crown with high density. It takes more hair in the crown than it does for the front to get a dense result unless the doctor uses tricks that increase the appearance of density while sacrificing naturalness. If any doctor tells you that you'll not see scalp, walk away.

Do you feel you must have surgery? Have you considered going the other direction and try shaving your head? If you like it you'll save a lot of money and you eliminate the risk of having bad work or big scars. If haven't tried it, I recommend you do. If you don't like it you lose nothing and you can just let your hair grow back and then try your other options. Best of all, if you have clippers, it's free
    Joe Tillman

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your thoughts. I have shaved my head before. I look ridiculous. Someone people can pull it off nicely; I am not one of those people.

I'm ok with the crown not being terribly dense. I use Toppik, and that does a great job of masking the bald spot. I am more concerned about adding density to the front. Do you know how many grafts are needed typically to increase density? My temples have receded badly and now i'm starting to get the "doll's head" look up front due to thinning.

To be clear, it looks like you would recommend Dr. Epstein? It seems like he's done some really solid work.

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your thoughts. I have shaved my head before. I look ridiculous. Someone people can pull it off nicely; I am not one of those people.

I'm ok with the crown not being terribly dense. I use Toppik, and that does a great job of masking the bald spot. I am more concerned about adding density to the front. Do you know how many grafts are needed typically to increase density? My temples have receded badly and now i'm starting to get the "doll's head" look up front due to thinning.

To be clear, it looks like you would recommend Dr. Epstein? It seems like he's done some really solid work.
    I do not recommend him pro or con. I've never been to his clinic and I know nothing of his protocols. I assume he has happy patients because I can't remember the last time there was a complaint and I see some photos of good results that his clinics posts. Nothing more. I think that he is worth speaking to but I also feel you should speak with other clinics. You said you would like to stay more local so call Matt Zupan at Shapiro Medical in Minneapolis. He's as far North in the mid-west that one can get and then Dr. Arocha in Houston is on the South end of course. You then have several doctors in the Chicagoland area. What I'm saying is, don't review pictures and then pick a doctor based on that alone. Contact several clinics, ask questions, insist on speaking with patients. It's worth the effort and the time because once' it's done, it can't be undone. Hair restoration does not include a reset button
    Joe Tillman