+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy [22 years old] Weird hair loss pattern, killing me more each day !

Hi, first let me introduce myself. I'm a 22 years old guy that had long hair since I can remember. Hair loss was a problem in my family from both sides, but I didn't expect it to hit me so young.

For the last 1-2 years, I had very long hairs tied in a man bun and it was perfect. Then this year shit went real bad. I started to notice I had a line that was thinner, but looking online the only hair loss pattern that could look like it was female hair loss pattern so I thought it was it my head... The same year one of my best friends died, so I thought maybe it was the tension from the hair-bun, anxiety, school choices etc.

But then the "parting line" actually got bigger and bigger. Anxiety grew even more at the same time : I can't cut / shave because of that huge parting line (and because I'd look like shit) but I can't tie them anymore because it's even worst (more tension on the remaining long hairs).

So I decided to jump in, got proscar 1.25mg every day and minoxidil 2% twice a day. I was so early in and had long hairs so I thought : Hey it can easily save me ! I cut my hair shoulder length so I don't have to tie them, but long enough to cover the parting line...

But then the up and downs came... One day I'd feel alright, the other day ugly as shit. I would wear a beanie one day, a hat the other day, loose hair on the third... I didn't know if it was apparent or not, if everybody knew or not, if I waited for school break before doing anything drastic etc.

Then I wondered.. Is minoxidil causing all this ? Did I over-react about a large parting line and now I've ruined my frontal hairline ? Is it just a shed ? It is aggressive hairloss and I'm doing the right thing ?

So here I am, panicked. I don't know what to do anymore... It has been a month now that I take finasteride and about two months that I use minoxidil. I know it is supposed to cause a shed early on, but I didn't except a shed like that (if it's actually a shed)! I also know most people only see results after 6 months to a year, but seeing the opposite of results is quite frightening ! I put that liquid minoxidil every day wondering if it's gonna be worst the day after, I apply some on my temples and see more and more thin hair every day... I'm actually VERY AFRAID of putting some on the remaining frontal hair considering the unproven correlation between my hair thinning very aggressively and minoxidil..

Without any more boring text, here are the pictures... Some were taken today, some yesterday. Some with the hair pulled backward, some with the hair combed forwars (to show how much my frontal is getting destroyed right now).

On a final note, what really frustrates me is that everything was alright this summer, what happened in less than six months is making me lose hope.

I guess what I'm trying to say is : does any of you have ever seen such a pattern before ? And if so, do you think I should keep on with finasteride and minoxidil (possibly get the 5% instead ?) and hold on until the thinning / thin hairs grow back or do you think there is no hope right now without looking like someone in denial ? Is the only "valid" option right now is to shave and pray for a regrow ? The top and the frontal part really look messed up to me...

Hey, I can see the thinning parts you are referring to in the close up pictures but I think you obviously conceal this well with how you style your hair. These areas are not noticeable in your full head ( face forward/side on) pictures where your hair is styled normally and not pushed back. Hang on in there man, no need to buzz it yet !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2 View Post
    Hey, I can see the thinning parts you are referring to in the close up pictures but I think you obviously conceal this well with how you style your hair. These areas are not noticeable in your full head ( face forward/side on) pictures where your hair is styled normally and not pushed back. Hang on in there man, no need to buzz it yet !
    Thanks, I feel so stupid i'm always finding myself wondering as soon as I sit somewhere or if I have to look down... I really hope it regrows somehow with all the treatments that I use... But I don't know if I'm just living in denial...

I hear you man, but don't worry, just because we notice it about ourselves and perhaps become fixated by it, it doesn't mean others notice nearly as much. Keep up the treatment and keep us posted. On a side note, I found MSM really bulked up the thickness (diameter) of my hair after taking 1500 mg's a day. I noticed this after about a month. Could be worth a shot!!

Kept using minoxidil 2% on the middle parting of my hair and a bit on the temple twice a day, I think it definitely makes my hair fall anywhere I put it. The vertex of my hair, for example, was alright and I think it started to thin. The most obvious thinning is on my frontal hairline and temples.

I've read that if they fall, then they were going to shed sooner or later. That it's actually a "good sign" because they'll grow thicker and stronger, but I have a hard time believing this... When I started to treat my hair loss, only the middle parting was affected (to a small degree, not noticeable), but now pretty much my entire frontal-top hair thinned and I won't ever know for sure if it was going to happen anyway or if Minoxidil / Proscar made them fall for no reason.

I got my first comment from a friend (that was behind me on a higher ground), this is sad... I think that I'd look alright buzzed if I have a normal hairline, but with all this thinning I'm really afraid or buzzing then realizing I have bald spots at the middle...

Anyway, I guess there is worst in life, but I really have depressive moments, the feeling that I won't ever be as good looking as I was and won't ever be able to be as "fun" or confident as before.

I'll post a picture soon of how they look, focusing on showing the thinned part... It's pretty bad, especially with long hair because it's even more obvious.