Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottyd1218
    • Feb 2010

Losing Transplanted Hair..I think ?!??

I am 47 yrs old and have undergone three procedures dating back to 2005. I haven't had any procedures since early 2006..I seemed to have good results and the hair growth seemed appropriate, but in the past year or two I have noticed that I am losing the transplanted hair in the frontal region and now the hair that was transplanted in the crown area is thinning alot, too. I am very surprised and confused by this occurrence; I was expecting to lose non-transplanted hair in the front and the top, not the transplanted hair. I am wondering what everyone thinks about this !! Thanks.
  • Spex
    Dr Representative
    • Nov 2008

Hi,
    Its more than likely you have lost further native hair (have you been on meds to help maintain hair) or you may well be experiencing a shed. This can happen making hair appear thinner.

Generally HT will not fall out - have you spoken to your doc?
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• scottyd1218
      • Feb 2010

I have been taking Propecia. I have certainly lost native hair but have definitely lost hair that was transplanted in the hairline region. My surgeon is not someone I believe I want to follow-up with; there have been come complaints raised against him so I am considering another medical opinion.

Comment

• Winston
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by scottyd1218
        I have been taking Propecia. I have certainly lost native hair but have definitely lost hair that was transplanted in the hairline region. My surgeon is not someone I believe I want to follow-up with; there have been come complaints raised against him so I am considering another medical opinion.
        If the hair was taken from a non-safe zone it’s possible, but it’s unlikely that this happened. Are you sure it’s not your surrounding hair that is thinning?

Comment

• scottyd1218
          • Feb 2010

The surgeon transplanted hair to my hairline and for a while ( a few years) the hairline was pretty good, but in recent years the hairline has receded, so I know the hairs that have fallen out are transplanted ones and not native becuase those fell out years ago ! The area that the hair was transplanted from was in the back and I believe it was definitely in the "safe zone". ANn other thoughts..could it just be ME ??

Comment

• muucava
            • Jan 2010

Hi Scotty,
            I'm considering a HT and have talked to many doctors. I'm sure you want to be discrete about giving the name of your doctor. Can you advise his location? I just want to avoid similiar issues.

Many Thanks,
            Muucava

Comment

• scottyd1218
              • Feb 2010

It was in NYC ...upper east side practice.

Comment

• muucava
                • Jan 2010

Thanks Scotty,
                I hope you are only experiencing a temporary loss. I presume the transpalnted hairs assume the same growth cycles. Perhaps many grafts are cycling at the same time.

Muucava

Comment

• scottyd1218
                  • Feb 2010

I hope that's the case in the crown area but not too hopeful in the frontal area..I may need to find another surgeon to do a frontal hairline replacement.

Comment

• Winston
                    • Mar 2009

What has your doctor told you?

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                      • Nov 2008

Hopefully, this is a temporary situation. Often most of the transplanted hairs go into the dormant phase around the same time after the procedure. Therefore, it is possible for that same group of hair follicles to go into a sleep cycle at some later point. I have seen it happen before. It is also possible that you were genetically programmed to loose thes hairs with aging. A hair transplant would not change this course of action.
                      Dr. Glenn Charles
                      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• dnnnn
                        • Jun 2013

@prodigy: did the hair you lost grow back? I am really curious how long your shed lasted and when the hairs grew back.

I am experiencing the same right now. I am exactly 4 years post op my first transplant, 3 years after my 2nd and 6,5 mths my third.

Over the last 2 weeks I lost a lot of transplanted hairs. I hope it is a shed. Hoe can I know of it is?

@dr glenn charles: what do you advice? Shall I start with minox?

Comment

• drybone
                          • Dec 2012

The good news is that with BHT now we can prune our butt hairs , back hairs, and of course the standard chest beard whatnot. I dont know if ear hair can be transplanted. Never thought about that one. Curious.

Beats a comb over. Right?

Comment

• drybone
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dnnnn
                            @prodigy: did the hair you lost grow back? I am really curious how long your shed lasted and when the hairs grew back.

I am experiencing the same right now. I am exactly 4 years post op my first transplant, 3 years after my 2nd and 6,5 mths my third.

Over the last 2 weeks I lost a lot of transplanted hairs. I hope it is a shed. Hoe can I know of it is?

@dr glenn charles: what do you advice? Shall I start with minox?
                            I think he said if your were genetically programmed to 'loose' those hairs, you might as well crack open your wallet.

Do you have a photo of your transplanted hairs, and then them falling out? It would be helpful to see.

Comment

Working...