+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice

Default Need Advice

Hello everyone - was hoping you all could provide me with some advice. My story in a nutshell is as follows: 35 year old male. I've been on propecia for about 9 years. No side effects so I've stuck with it. I started noticing a bald spot in my mid 20s, which is when I started on Propecia. I definitely think it's slowed down my balding (I think). Approximately 1 year ago, I started on Rogaine and Nizoral to try to keep as much of my hair that I still have. I use the foam in the morning and the solution at night. Approximately one month ago I started going through a MASSIVE shed which is continuing as of this email. My hair looks simply awful. I use hair concealers such as Toppik to mask the fact I'm balding as much as possible. Up until this shed I'd say the concealers have done an adequate job, but again, right now my hair looks simply terrible.

So, my question, is a shed a year into Rogaine to be expected? I am freaking the f**k out at the moment, and really hope that the shed I'm currently experiencing is "normal" and the hairs I'm losing will come back soon.

I'd love for someone to ease my mind on this.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrundel View Post
    Hello everyone - was hoping you all could provide me with some advice. My story in a nutshell is as follows: 35 year old male. I've been on propecia for about 9 years. No side effects so I've stuck with it. I started noticing a bald spot in my mid 20s, which is when I started on Propecia. I definitely think it's slowed down my balding (I think). Approximately 1 year ago, I started on Rogaine and Nizoral to try to keep as much of my hair that I still have. I use the foam in the morning and the solution at night. Approximately one month ago I started going through a MASSIVE shed which is continuing as of this email. My hair looks simply awful. I use hair concealers such as Toppik to mask the fact I'm balding as much as possible. Up until this shed I'd say the concealers have done an adequate job, but again, right now my hair looks simply terrible.

So, my question, is a shed a year into Rogaine to be expected? I am freaking the f**k out at the moment, and really hope that the shed I'm currently experiencing is "normal" and the hairs I'm losing will come back soon.

I'd love for someone to ease my mind on this.
    It not normal to have a shed as a direct consequence of using Rogaine and ketaconazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) one year into a regimen. Sheds do happen but they usually happen must sooner, maybe three months, give or take. I think the first question should be about your Propecia. Have you switched to generic and still call it Propecia as a general reference?
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Yes, I have been on generic Propecia for a while now (maybe 1 year?)

Yes, I have been on generic Propecia for a while now (maybe 1 year?)
    And that is what I suspected. Get back on name brand and see how that works out six months from now. I've been in this position many times, sbrundel. I strongly suspect that your switch to generic is the cause because generics just aren't as reliable. They work for most, but do not work for many.
    Joe Tillman

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread. Thank you!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread. Thank you!
    My pleasure and please do report back in six months to let us know how it works out.
    Joe Tillman

May I ask in what manner do you believe generics to not be as reliable? I mean, there are some that are outright sketchy... but if you're prescribed a generic from a reliable, trusted company, from a reliable pharmacy and it's 5mg finasteride tablets, how is this any different from propecia?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    May I ask in what manner do you believe generics to not be as reliable? I mean, there are some that are outright sketchy... but if you're prescribed a generic from a reliable, trusted company, from a reliable pharmacy and it's 5mg finasteride tablets, how is this any different from propecia?
    In general, generics are fine, but it's those times that they are not that you can't predict. I've learned long ago that one of the first things I need to ask someone that has a sudden and unexplained shed while seemingly keeping their routine the same is to ask if they changed from name brand to generic. More times than not this is the case. Notice that I guessed the OP not only switched to generic but still called it Propecia out of habit? It's because I see this fairly often
    Joe Tillman