is 33 a good age to go for an ht? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default is 33 a good age to go for an ht?

    Hi folks, I appreciate this question will depend on a lot of factors so here's the brief rundown of my situation :
    33 year old guy with a Norwood 2 hairline and a mild case of crown thinning. My hair loss started in my mid 20s and hasn't really changed since then. I have used Minox 5% for around 6 years now and tried fin but quickly quit after bad sides. my mothers side all have /had full Norwood 1 hair with no loss at all. my dads side all seem to eventually get to nw 3 with a slight bit of crown thinning but don't lose more than this. My dad is 61 and has good hair for his age. he looks to be about a nw 2.5 and like me has mild crown thinning but he just brushes his hair back to hide it and it's not noticeable

    I have got to the point where I would really like to just get the little bit done in my crown so I can start having more options to style my hair and not worry about it. my loss seems to have slowed and I shed about 10 hairs a day at most. I have good donor and pretty thick hair everywhere else.

    I know a lot of ht surgeons seem to be very difficult when it comes to discussing the idea of small sessions of 500fue and feel it is either a waste of time or wont be worth the bother but to be honest, I'm not bothered about my hairline and having future sessions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    500 fue wont do much... From this procedure, you are almost guaranteed to lose even more hair due to what they delicately phrase as "shock loss"... I would say, if you are not on finasteride and are only a NW2, you should just be happy with what you have, before you ruin it and dedicate yourself to a life of scars and hair transplants. You say you have no balding in your family? That doesn't mean much. If you are a NW2, then you are experiencing MPB... If you get a hair transplant, there is a good chance you will suffer, not from the bullsh*t "shock loss", but from telogen effluvium due to the trauma. This causes your hair to start to fall out rapidly, and there is a good chance it will not fully grow back, ESPECIALLY if you are not on an androgen blocker like finasteride. Am I biased? yes, because it happened to me. I was NOT EVEN a NW2 when I had my HT... One year later, half my hair was gone. It's now 2 years later and it has NOT grown back.. Please, just be happy with what you have... 5 years down the line, when your hair loss is more stable and your hair loss pattern is established, reconsider a HT. For now, no matter what anyone else tells you on here, I guarantee you, 100%, it is risky as all hell.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    500 fue wont do much... From this procedure, you are almost guaranteed to lose even more hair due to what they delicately phrase as "shock loss"... I would say, if you are not on finasteride and are only a NW2, you should just be happy with what you have, before you ruin it and dedicate yourself to a life of scars and hair transplants. You say you have no balding in your family? That doesn't mean much. If you are a NW2, then you are experiencing MPB... If you get a hair transplant, there is a good chance you will suffer, not from the bullsh*t "shock loss", but from telogen effluvium due to the trauma. This causes your hair to start to fall out rapidly, and there is a good chance it will not fully grow back, ESPECIALLY if you are not on an androgen blocker like finasteride. Am I biased? yes, because it happened to me. I was NOT EVEN a NW2 when I had my HT... One year later, half my hair was gone. It's now 2 years later and it has NOT grown back.. Please, just be happy with what you have... 5 years down the line, when your hair loss is more stable and your hair loss pattern is established, reconsider a HT. For now, no matter what anyone else tells you on here, I guarantee you, 100%, it is risky as all hell.
    LOL. "If you're NW2, you're experiencing MPB." Really?

    I always love reading sweeping statements such as these. They always come from the bitter baldies. You're probably some 22 year old child who thinks he's got the whole world figured out. Your experience is purely anecdotal, and doesn't translate well into OP's (or mine, for that matter) case.

    Want another anecdote? I know plenty of people in my family (from ages 25 to 95) with a head full of thick hair, yet they were born with NW2s/incomplete hairlines.

    I have no family history of balding from either side.

    PS: When someone mentions finasteride in their post, that's your cue to tune out. LOL.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    thanks for the response. however if you had read my post properly you would see I mentioned that mpb does run in my family slightly on my dads side. he has a nw2-2.5 hairline and a small (about the size of a 50p) thinning area on his crown. his brothers and dad were the same. this is quite clearly the pattern I'm following so I don't see why people are so quick to say 500 won't do anything? I've seen pics of guys who have gone for 1000fue in areas that are twice the size of mine and had a great result.

    with regard to shock loss, is this not a risk for any procedure? I've seen multiple cases where surgeons have performed minor work on women who have slight thinning in their centre parting and on guys who have 2000 put into their hairline and a couple hundred in the crown for good measure

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Very Plastic View Post
    LOL. "If you're NW2, you're experiencing MPB." Really?

    I always love reading sweeping statements such as these. They always come from the bitter baldies. You're probably some 22 year old child who thinks he's got the whole world figured out. Your experience is purely anecdotal, and doesn't translate well into OP's (or mine, for that matter) case.

    Want another anecdote? I know plenty of people in my family (from ages 25 to 95) with a head full of thick hair, yet they were born with NW2s/incomplete hairlines.

    I have no family history of balding from either side.

    PS: When someone mentions finasteride in their post, that's your cue to tune out. LOL.
    I typed this while under the influence.

    Please disregard what I said, jamesst11.
    We're all in this together. Us hair transplant victims are all in this together.

    (Why can't I edit my posts? Stupid forum feature).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    116

    Default

    IMHO, 500 is a very small HT and may be more hassle than benefit. You may want to wait until things get further along and have a bigger procedure or just stick with minox for now.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    hey Driver, that's a fair comment. the thing is, I took that approach when I was 28 and decided to wait til I was into my 30s to do something about it. this is probably the most important decade of my life in terms of work and socialising, relationships etc so I kind of thought that seeing as it's a small procedure and I'm not going to lose a whole lot more in that area it could be worth doing just to be happy. if I ever get a dramatic increase in balding that for some strange reason takes me to a nw3v id just shave my head.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    80

    Default

    If you are not bothered about my hairline and having future sessions then you could just do it. Keep in mind that you may have to do it again when the situation on your head will suddenly get worse and that not all hair transplants go perfect. It is a surgery and there is always a possibility for error.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    hi Hairmore, that's the sensible answer I was looking for. everyone else seems to be paranoid about waiting until you are a nw6 before doing anything about the problem. not sure if this is simply because there's more money in it for the docs.
    despite the fact that I'm considering an ht to clear a problematic area I'm not that vain so of things did get worse i would happily shave it off and just get on with it. might as well get a slight touch up while I'm young enough to enjoy it

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironheadxl View Post
    despite the fact that I'm considering an ht to clear a problematic area I'm not that vain so of things did get worse i would happily shave it off and just get on with it. might as well get a slight touch up while I'm young enough to enjoy it
    Be careful
    Ive read where people get HT's to "touch up " an area and it creates more of a problem later on in life

Similar Threads

  1. Any good examples of good crown restoration?
    By starsalign in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 06:04 PM
  2. Would you rather have: (Good hair line) or (good shaped face/head and low face fat)?
    By FlightTL in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM
  3. If it's good enough for Jason Statham and Bruce Willis, it's good enough for me!
    By FlightTL in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM
  4. Bad fue or good fue ?
    By dub926 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
  5. Bad fue or good fue ?
    By dub926 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Dr. Suneet Soni - 3800 FUT Grafts, NW V
Yesterday 11:53 PM
Yesterday 11:53 PM
shock loss near scar very concerned
03-31-2018 09:38 AM
by ender
Last Post By Spex
Yesterday 10:51 PM
London Consultations with Spencer ( Spex ) 15th August 2018
07-04-2018 01:44 AM
by Spex
Last Post By Spex
Yesterday 10:49 PM
My actual situation, 25 years old with receding hairline
05-08-2018 08:08 AM
Last Post By dothestrand
Yesterday 03:57 PM