+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default is Minoxidil "Sulfate" really 14x stronger than regular minoxidil?

I am new to this forum. This my first post. Hello everybody : )

I have used (Kirkland) minoxidil topical in the past with not that great of results after about 18 months worth of use. I am a middle aged female that has recently had a face-lift which pulled my hairline back, plus my hair is thinning....

Pubmed did a clinical study that claims that the sulfated version works exponentially stronger than regular minoxidil, 14x is what is stated in the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2230218

Has anyone tried a minoxidil sulfate topical? If not, would anyone have any info or insight or thoughts about minoxidil sulfate?

Surprisingly, I only found one seller selling it on an auction site.

If it is really stronger, shouldn't there be more formulations or different brands available for retail purchase?

I'm tempted to buy some, but would like to get any comments or thoughts about it.

Thanks in advance for any help : )

Hi everybody,

This is my first post.

I can't seem to find much information online about minoxidil sulfate.

I am very intrigued after reading that Pubmed clinical study.

There is one vendor online that states that:

"The price is about 100 US dollars per 5 milligrams. In a 60 ml hair growth solution with 12% minoxidil sulfate, it has 7.2grams of minoxidil sulfate, which will cost more than 100,000 US dollars to procure the minoxidil sulfate for one bottle (one month supply)."

This is simply not true though. I found wholesale bulk powder suppliers of minoxidil sulfate online that sell per kilo. The price for minoxidil sulfate is more costly than regular minoxidil, but Definitely not anywhere close to $100 for 5 milligrams.

But, they are also selling a product on their site which makes me skeptical about there info.

I am very tempted to try minoxidil sulfate, but as I said before, there is not that much user info online.

if anyone has any experience with using minoxidil sulfate as a topical solution, any info would be greatly appreciated.

(Update)

It has been about 3 and a half months now of me using minoxidil sulfate 5%.

Even though the suggested dosage is 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml in the night. I think I use closer to 5-6 ml's per application.

The results have been quite dramatic. The new follicles that I am growing seem to be thicker than my usual strands.

It took about 3-4 weeks to notice a considerable difference, but I think it is really working great for me.

Also, at about the 4 week mark, I started mixing in DMSO(15%) with my 5% minoxidil sulfate. I don't know if it is a coincidence or just time that has elapsed while using minoxidil sulfate, but I really started noticing more and more new follicles at the 5 week mark after using the DMSO since the 4 week mark.

I have read that DMSO works as a great carrier to help the scalp absorb minoxidil subdermally.

I have also read that regular minoxidil "is not" soluble in DMSO, but I have read posts from users that it not being soluble "doesn't matter".

Would the fact that minoxidil sulfate "is" soluble in water (instead of PG, like regular minoxidil) make it blend with DMSO better? I do not seem to get any precipitate or separations of the solution.

I'll post another update after about another month of use or so.

If anyone else has any experience with using minoxidil sulfate or mixing DMSO with minoxidil sulfate, your comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

May

I also am interested in adding DMSO to my minoxidil sulfate. I still have 2 bottles left. I ordered an 8 oz. bottle of DMSO, and made about a 10% strength mix. I noticed though, that this new mix made my scalp slightly irritated. I only made 1 bottle's worth of that mix, but I am thinking that even 10% is probably too strong.

Are you getting any type of irritation or tingling at your 15% mix?

Could this "tingling/burning" just be a normal part of using DMSO as a carrier?

Could this "tingling/burning" just be a normal part of using DMSO as a carrier?[/QUOTE]

I have definitely found the addition of DMSO to produce a tingling sensation. I read online that is a typical reaction to DMSO when applied to the skin/scalp.

I would never classify the tingling as a "burning" feeling though. Do you have sensitive skin? I would describe my skin type as being semi-sensitive.

Maybe if you try adding the DMSO at a 5% or less concentration, the tingling/burning feeling will not be as pronounced.

The amount of tingling I get from the addition of the DMSO is comparable to a hair loss product I used years ago that contained graviola extract and menthol. The tingling always made at least feel like "something" is going on, even if it was just the menthol causing it.

Did you get any type of tingling sensation when you used the minoxidil sulfate topical alone?

This thread is shady...

thread is useless without pictures

"Did you get any type of tingling sensation when you used the minoxidil sulfate topical alone?"

I felt a very very slight tingling, almost not noticeable, when I use the minoxidil sulfate alone.

I ordered more minoxidil sulfate, and this time, I only made a 5% DMSO concentration, and I have not noticed any irritation at this level.

I was just wondering about one thing when it comes to applying minoxidil topicals.

I read online that it is best to apply the topical after a shower, because allegedly, the scalp/skin becomes "water-logged" and is less likely to repel any topical and makes it easier for the scalp to accept the solution topically.

I have been doing this before I apply the minox. sulfate topical. Could this maybe be the reason why I might be feeling the slight tingling/slight burning sensation?

I have been definitely been seeing new thick strands in the front of my hairline, and the rest of my hair seems to be getting thicker.

How's your progress been going?

Do you have any photos that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I highly appreciate your input or thoughts, even without pictures, but it would be great to see any photo documentation.

I'd be willing to swap progress photos with you, even privately, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks B.W.

I just ordered another 2 bottles of minoxidil sulfate.

This time, I selected the option to have my minox sulfate come with an added 0.25% Retinol. Pubmed did a study on how retinol is supposed to aid with the topical absorption of minoxidil.

So, now I have my old minox sulfate with my added DMSO to help as a carrier and my two new bottles that contain the .25% Retinol.

I'm not sure if I should ad DMSO to my minox sulfate w retinol, maybe that would be too many "carriers" for absorption ( I don't want it to absorb to deep where it penetrates down through my skull bone....JK )

I want it to penetrate as much as I can, to get the best results, but I can't find any info on this 3 ingredient "****tail".

I think I am going to leave the minox sulfate with the DMSO alone, and when that runs out, I will use the sulfate with the added Retinol.

There is no information about this combo online that I was able to find.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Show us pics of the results that are "quite dramatic" unless of course you're a vendor trying to peddle your product.