+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's garbage because it's not at the level of technological advancement that we'd expect to come out in 2016+

It's like going backwards.

Garbage.

for me the growing problem is one if you have still good hair on top and not high Norwood.(though not that big pbm)
    But it's clearly not a one if you have to choose between the balding look and having a full Nw0.
    You could put some cm length on top you want and just cut the sides when you need

I think the socket Allgoodname' is describing could be invented before a commercially available cure

they are already bioprinting cartilage, bone, skin, and other tissues with the own cells of a patient. So a bio printed 'socket' made with our own cells is possible and would solve the immune rejection problem
    But yeah it's quite weird project hehe

I would not call it complete garbage but call it "smart wig". If it would look real and had better feel on you head than some average wig than it would be really an option for me, too. There is definitely a market our there for something like this and I would not say it is backwards. This was only possible due to some advancement in science and technology and there will be some technology that will build on that.

Bottom line if it looked and felt real you would have to consider it wouldn't you ?

A wig can blow off in the wind. This is very different

Quote Originally Posted by Dimoxynil View Post
    A wig can blow off in the wind. This is very different
    Not true, modern hair systems with proper attachements can't be blown off by the wind, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GNX View Post
    glorified wig! no thanx!
    Yes.

But if you could do it like "Allthegoodnamesaretaken" suggested where the hairs were somehow safely plugged into skin rather than being put on a base then you could eliminate the wig look and it would be a huge seller. I don't think it can be done but if it could be...

Quote Originally Posted by Arieux View Post
    Not true, modern hair systems with proper attachements can't be blown off by the wind, lol.
    Lol agreed. I wore a wig for about 3 months and it was a really bad experience. Still, there was no chance that thing was involuntarily coming off my head without scalping me.

I fail to see how this technology could improve wearing a hairpiece beyond just bringing down the cost. We already have biofibre hair implants; they require constant upkeep to prevent the body from rejecting them and over time they cause scarring.

Synthetic hair. Real hair. I don't really give a crap. If they could somehow find a way to have synthetic hair coming out of my head… Beautiful. It's more or less the same thing. Once a month go for a 'haircut' to get the synthetic hairs replaced. To me that would be no different than veneers on your teeth.

A wig on the other hand, glued to your head… No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasari View Post
    Synthetic hair. Real hair. I don't really give a crap. If they could somehow find a way to have synthetic hair coming out of my head… Beautiful. It's more or less the same thing. Once a month go for a 'haircut' to get the synthetic hairs replaced. To me that would be no different than veneers on your teeth.

A wig on the other hand, glued to your head… No thanks.
    This.

Love the idea of small artificial hair follicles that work like real follicles and that produce the hair you want to have. You will just tell the surgeon: "I want thick black hair growing 1 cm a month." And he will do the job. It would be part of some other augmentations your surgeon would be able to fix you up with. But that is probably total science fiction. Even Doc in Back To The Future is still balding in the future even though he went trough some rejuvenation processes.