+ Reply to Thread
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Default VIDEO Modified FUE repair case in female who had MRSA infection postop Dr. Lindsey

This nice young lady had minimal hair in her frontal third. We did a case on her last May. 2 days later...she was febrile and had an obvious infection...my first and only hair infection in a non-smoker in 20 years.

She admitted that 2 days before her case, she got covered with respiratory secretions from a patient with MRSA (resistant bacteria) during her job as a respiratory therapist. 2 weeks of antibiotics and infectious disease consultations and she was ok, but 2 areas of her scalp had skin loss which slowly healed in. Interestingly, in our Hair Forum magazine that comes out every other month or so, 2 similar cases in hospital workers were reported as I helped her recover. I wish she'd have fessed up to this preop and we'd have simply rescheduled after appropriate intervention.

She did end up growing reasonably well except in the areas where she had skin necrosis. Yesterday we repaired her with a small MFUE. She had a strip case by me last year and healed fine, despite MRSA infection in the recipient area, but just doesn't want another strip for a small case. She saw her ID doctor preop and we did a triple skin prep. I do not think we'll have trouble this year with infection.

Shown is a video of her case yesterday. She was in this morning and looks fine. Her sutures come out next Thursday and I'll update her progress. The tissue we planted into was not "virgin scalp" but ought to grow well, particularly with the beefy MFUE roots you'll see in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xca4L...m-upload_owner

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile