+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does Propecia cause initial hair shedding?

I have started on Propecia for 3 weeks...
    But now I noticed some extra shedding during shampoo...
    Is that a normal symptom?
    And if the sexual side effect were to develop, normally when will it comes?
    I am kinda scared of that...

2 quick replies. Yes, it may cause some initial shedding, but that is generally considered a good thing and means the meds are working. I would suggest cutting your hair short so you dont fixate so much on the lost hair.

second, if you were going to have sexual side effects, they would have appeared by now, so your probably in the clear. Please dont get too swayed by the internet postings about the sexual side effects. I have taken the meds for 2 years now, and havent had a bit of trouble.

Stick with it, and after a year, if your still unhappy with the results, try adding rogaine foam to your regime. It can be applied in the front or crown, doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by California13 View Post
    2 quick replies. Yes, it may cause some initial shedding, but that is generally considered a good thing and means the meds are working. I would suggest cutting your hair short so you dont fixate so much on the lost hair.

second, if you were going to have sexual side effects, they would have appeared by now, so your probably in the clear. Please dont get too swayed by the internet postings about the sexual side effects. I have taken the meds for 2 years now, and havent had a bit of trouble.

Stick with it, and after a year, if your still unhappy with the results, try adding rogaine foam to your regime. It can be applied in the front or crown, doesnt matter.
    Hi california,
    Thks for your sharing..
    Nowadays when i shampoo, i will lose abt 30 t0 50 strands of hairs (havent include those that drop without my knowing..Is that considered initial shedding in your point of view? Do you drop that much too?
    And do you experience any hair regrowth after taking propecia?
    When will you see visible results?

First, stop thinking that your going to develop the sexual side effects. Half of the battle is mental, I truly believe that the mind is powerful, and if you believe your going to get them, you will likely convince yourself that you have.

Second, stop counting the hair that come out in the shower. Stop looking at your hands after you rub your hair. Its a meaningless number (unless your pulling out handfulls obviously) and its just going to drive you insane. Humans lose about 100-120 hairs a day, and trying to count all of them will consume your life.

If you really want to know scientifically where your at, I suggest seeing a hair transplant doc that is recommended on this site, and asking them to map your scalp for minutarization. This means they will take a microscope and look at the hair on your head to see if they are thinning. Take pics now, and in a year, take another set of pics. Then you will know if propecia is working.

Also, you need to adjust your expectations. Propecia likely wont make your hair look like it was when you were 16. That being said, it will likely halt the progression of your hair loss, or slow it down substantially. If it doesn't, I feel for you, because there isn't much else out there to help.

In sum, stop looking for non existent side effects, stop counting your hairs in the shower, go get your scalp mapped, take your propecia, maybe add rogaine in a year if you can handle the committment and go live your life.

And one last thing, if you find you cant stop counting hairs, like I did, a good self help book for OCD will help you.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by California13 View Post
    First, stop thinking that your going to develop the sexual side effects. Half of the battle is mental, I truly believe that the mind is powerful, and if you believe your going to get them, you will likely convince yourself that you have.

Second, stop counting the hair that come out in the shower. Stop looking at your hands after you rub your hair. Its a meaningless number (unless your pulling out handfulls obviously) and its just going to drive you insane. Humans lose about 100-120 hairs a day, and trying to count all of them will consume your life.

If you really want to know scientifically where your at, I suggest seeing a hair transplant doc that is recommended on this site, and asking them to map your scalp for minutarization. This means they will take a microscope and look at the hair on your head to see if they are thinning. Take pics now, and in a year, take another set of pics. Then you will know if propecia is working.

Also, you need to adjust your expectations. Propecia likely wont make your hair look like it was when you were 16. That being said, it will likely halt the progression of your hair loss, or slow it down substantially. If it doesn't, I feel for you, because there isn't much else out there to help.

In sum, stop looking for non existent side effects, stop counting your hairs in the shower, go get your scalp mapped, take your propecia, maybe add rogaine in a year if you can handle the committment and go live your life.

And one last thing, if you find you cant stop counting hairs, like I did, a good self help book for OCD will help you.

All the best.
    I always heard of the BIG 3 in this forum...Presently, I am taking 2 of them now...thats is propecia and nizoral...Should i add on topical minoxidil now to see faster results? Or how long should i wait to see the effects of propecia 1st before adding minoxidil?

Hi there,

Its normal to shed on meds initially - see topic here :
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...1065&highlight
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Hi there,

Its normal to shed on meds initially - see topic here :
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...1065&highlight
    Thks Spex for your valuable info!
    I have consumed propecia for almost a month now..
    Should I add on minoxidil at this time to speedup my progress?
    Does Nizoral Shampoo helps in reducing my scalp's oilyness? (I started using abt a week)
    If not, what kind of shampoo is recommended?
    Thanks!

After taking propecia for about 6weeks, i still experience increased shedding..may i know when will this shedding ends?
    And most of my shedded hair are quite long..Is that normal?

Default Shedding is Normal

In all cases, treatments or no treatments, shedding is not actually "losing hair". This is one of the most common misconceptions in the world of hair loss. Shedding is in fact just the transition of follicles from growth phase to resting phase. They don't fall out and die, never to return. They in fact "go to sleep", to return several months later.

The hair will grow for awhile, and it will rest for awhile.

I'm interested, did the shedding eventually stop for you??? I started shedding at the three week mark and am approaching week two of seriously heavy shedding. I've read numerous times that shedding is normal... But it is causing my hair to look and feel very thin, especially around the hairline and crown (which wasn't even a problem in the first place!). I'm willing to fight this and stick with the meds as the promise of much thicker hair in the future is very attractive, but this shedding is killing me right now.