+ Reply to Thread

Default When You're Feeling Down on Hair Loss...STAY STRONG!!!

Hey everybody, this is a great place when it comes to getting advice about preventing hair loss and coping with hair loss.

I've been reading a lot of the messages recently, and finally I had to register and make an account after seeing too many of you depressed because of hair loss, especially at a younger age.

I understand how much your self-esteem takes a hit, especially after you first notice that you are losing your hair, whether it's the hairline or the crown. I too started losing my hair at 20 years old...finally it reached a point where I went on Propecia and later Rogaine....with not much success. I am close to 23 and have accepted that I will eventually be bald.

I was down on life orginally...but eventually I understood that HAIR LOSS WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE ONLY IF YOU ALLOW IT TO DO SO. Don't ever think that you can't get the girl of your dreams because you're going bald. Don't ever think that you can't go out in public and have the time of your life without feeling ashamed of your lack of hair.

It's very difficult, but if you can focus on moving past having hair, and accepting the new you, I guarantee you will start enjoying life like you never have before.

Is my male pattern baldness stopping me from enjoying my life??? HELL NO!!! Fellow hair loss sufferers, I advise you to start doing something that will build your confidence: Start working out with a purpose, take martial arts classes, take public speaking classes, read some books about self- acceptance....Anything that will make you feel more comfortable with yourself. Because like other people have been saying..."IT'S JUST HAIR!!!"

When you lose your hair, you don't lose your personality. You don't lose your intelligence. You don't lose your sense of humor, and you definitely don't lose the looks of your face & body. You are still the same guy that your friends and family love! And if some of your friends/family are too shallow to realize, you will need to understand that what matters is HOW YOU VIEW YOURSELF.

You're confidence may shatter when speaking about your hair loss to your friends or to people you haven't seen since you've had hair. Not hiding it and being accepting of it will make it much easier for them to accept it. I promise! If it doesn't bother you, it won't bother them.

It's true that everyone has their own problems. As you get ready to go out and worry if people are going to point out your baldness, everyone else is worried about their big ears, their birthmark, their weight, their adams apple, their skinny arms, their crooked tooth, and I can go on all day.

And it's true that physical first impressions are meaningful...but if you hit them with an alternative first impression, like your wit, your ambition, your swagger, or your confidence...THAT'S how people are going to remember you.

I am 5'6'', balding, and almost 23 and I recently started dating the most beautiful girl I've ever been with (my friends say she's a 9)....and I got her because of this new belief in myself...after I accepted my baldness. I stand tall, speak with assurance, and could care less about my receding hairline and my bald spot.

LIFE DOES NOT MEASURE YOU BY THE HAIR ON YOUR HEAD!

Hi,

That's the good quote! this spirit is actually required when you are facing such kind of problems, you should not feel guilty about the way you look and any thing like hair loss or any flaws if some one is accepting you in a way you are.

Just be confident, strong and positive so that no one can let you down. Else, you can try some medicines and consult a doctor for some medication required.

Thanks

Hey,im new to this im only 17 and people have started noticing iv been tending a receeding hairline since as early as 15, my confidence is shot and i regularly feel down alot of the time.Your post was inspiring but at 17 i think it will take alot more for me to accept

Very inspiring indeed.

To jon92:

hairline recession is pretty normal on males as we age and it usually stops at a certain point, there is no telling when it starts and when it will stop. Medication like Finasteride also known as Propecia could help you stop some of the hairloss you might be seeing. But know that Propecia will normally work effectively in the crown and top area of your scalp. Dr. Baxa recommends taking Finasteride for 12-16 months in order to see results. Some vitamins are said to make hair stronger and healthier too. Hope this helps.

Regards,

I'm bumping this thread because this forum lately is bringing out the worst in people. These new threads popping up would make any hair loss sufferer (especially new members) want to go on suicide watch.

If life throws you a curve ball, you either adjust or you strikeout. Man up!

People lose their hair. Period. It's not a rare disorder....look around. All men are losing their hair, whether it's recession, thinning, bald spots, or a combination of the 3. Very few people have perfect hair by age 30 in my opinion. It's normal...even if you lose your hair at a young age, it's unfortunate but it's normal!

It's disgusting that people don't want to live because of losing their hair. I post on here to try and keep people positive, because sometimes that's what you need when times are tough. The realization of hairloss to me is a phase, and you can control how long it takes to outgrow that phase. It didn't last 20 years and steal my life away. The adjustments I made to my personality and my physique made me a better person than I was before I started losing hair. FACT.

Maybe I'm 1 in a million who feel this way. The point is that it's possible to be happy and bald. Don't be a quitter and live your life to the fullest.

Thumbs up

Well said! While I understand how hard it could to adjust to dealing with hair loss, there are many different avenues we can take. Some people do well with transplants, some people can pull off wearing a system, some people do well on the meds and some people can live life with a shaved head. The point is that you have to do what it takes to make yourself feel good in this life(within reason), but focusing on the negative stuff does nothing but take away from your life.
    Good positive message staystrongmen. It's refreshing.

There are positives to baldness. Not many, but a few. The best thing, in my opinion, is that when you wake up one day and realise that there are some shallow people out there who you will never be able to please again because of your hair loss, you simultaneously realise you don't have to try to make an effort with them either.

Before I started losing my hair, I used to try and keep my misanthropy hidden because I wanted to be 'accepted.' Now I have a condition which most people my age prefer to mock than accept, I don't have to try. If I think someone is a retard, I tell them they are a retard. If I want to say the army is more full of suicidal idiots that don't understand the politics of the war they're fighting in than it is full of heroes, then I do. It's great! It's the one aspect of my changed personality that I thoroughly enjoy and it's what keeps me going.

As I no longer have the ability to please the idiots of this world, I have found it a far more effective use of my time building as much distance between me and them as possible. As for my social life, I never liked 70% of the people I was acquainted with. Since my hair loss, I've never had to see them again. There's a lot to be said for a solitary life when you're not a people person.

Also, hair loss has taught me an important human quality. Always look after number 1 first. I have enough to deal with losing my hair, so I'll be damned if I start worrying about someone else's problems. I never feel guilty any more when I spend money on dutasteride instead of charity; I visibly switch off when someone starts whinging about a minor problem like their illness or money problems; I have lost all sympathy for the elderly or the poor (they get out of life what they put in anyway don't they?) and I'm always happy to shatter the more hirsute's confidence when they think they've achieved something ("what, is that it, that's what you're pleased about?")

If I couldn't be an absolute b*stard to everyone around me, I don't think life would be worth living any more. You might say that's negative, but give being an outspoken and direct character for a while. People stop mocking your hair loss and leave you well alone. It works for me.