+ Reply to Thread

Default I'm scared to start Propecia because of cancer risk

I have my propecia and rogaine prescription right here but I'm scared to start Propecia because it apparently raises risk of prostate cancer risk.

My grandfather died of lung cancer a month ago and when I'd go see him in the hospital... It was like death. The whole hospice division had cancer and it was just awful. I don't want that to happen to me.

I'm only 22 and I feel like I'm being irrational. my derm even said not to worry and that if anything the bigger risk is sexual dysfunction but even that is an extremely low risk but it just scares me

ugh I do not know what to do.

I believe most experts have found it actually doesn't raise prostate cancer risk. It just makes it easier to find cancers that are already there.

What happens is that finasteride does shrink your prostate to some degree over time. This is what the 5mg version Proscar is designed to do, to help men who have enlarged prostates and therefore have problems urinating.

Once the prostate is smaller, it becomes easier for doctors to find cancer in the prostate. So the rates of diagnosing prostate cancer go up somewhat, but that's only because they can actually find more cancers in smaller prostates.

Think of...sticking some rocks in the center of a pillow, some in big pillows and some in small pillows. If the pillow is a big pillow, you'll have a harder time feeling for the rocks inside. But if the pillow is smaller and thinner, it is easier to feel the rocks inside.

Doctors were feeling more rocks and originally thought the finasteride was causing the rocks. But the finasteride was really just turning big pillows into smaller pillows, making it easier to find the rocks that were already there for some people. It wasn't creating those rocks.

I hope this helps. Taking finasteride and minoxidil is up to you. I made the decision now 6 years ago...sheesh! But it has worked fantastically for me and I have not had any side effects. I would be very bald by now if I did not take it but instead, I now have hair! But time is of the essence and if you are going bald, it is essential that you start early. Once hair is too far down the road of miniaturization (shrinking/thinning), then it becomes more difficult and often impossible to bring it back to life through the use of these two drugs. So the sooner the better!

Best of luck!

Part of cancer is pure luck. You could get cancer regardless of what you ever do. I dont think fin really made any major difference in cancer risk it was pretty close to placebo in almost everything. Even gyno was like 1 or 2 cases out of the many hundreds of people in the study. Really though no one knows hardly anything about a lot of this. Its mostly people even doctors just guessing.

The prostate cancer usually slow but once it starts growing rapidly or spread outside the glands, it is very dangerous. There are few symptoms of prostate cancer such as blood in urine, frequent urination, pain or burning during urination, blood in the seminal fluid. So have you ever experience these symptoms or any other symptoms like these? If so, you must consult to the doctor as soon as possible. It can be cured easily at early stages. It can be cured with the help of surgery or radiation therapy or any other alternative prostate cancer treatments as per the treatment suggested by the doctors.
    So take care of yourself and I hope you don't face any such issues in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by RamonaPercy View Post
    The prostate cancer usually slow but once it starts growing rapidly or spread outside the glands, it is very dangerous. There are few symptoms of prostate cancer such as blood in urine, frequent urination, pain or burning during urination, blood in the seminal fluid. So have you ever experience these symptoms or any other symptoms like these? If so, you must consult to the doctor as soon as possible. It can be cured easily at early stages. It can be cured with the help of surgery or radiation therapy or any other alternative prostate cancer treatments as per the treatment suggested by the doctors.
    So take care of yourself and I hope you don't face any such issues in your life.
    Chances that u will die tomorrow is equal to the chances that u will get cancer on propecia.

Everyone here is spreading misinformation, no fina doesn't augment you risk of getting prostate cancer BUT it does hide the symptoms longer,nt the opposite as someone stated. Then you have a more advanced cancer and on top of that you are less responsive to treatment due to prolonged use of fina. Now make your own decision.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Everyone here is spreading misinformation, no fina doesn't augment you risk of getting prostate cancer BUT it does hide the symptoms longer,nt the opposite as someone stated. Then you have a more advanced cancer and on top of that you are less responsive to treatment due to prolonged use of fina. Now make your own decision.
    ^^^ This is accurate. Based on what I know about the studies regarding Propecia in relation to prostate cancers, the information previously given in this thread isn't valid.

Smoking is about the only thing that has ever been proven to cause cancer(and even it only causes lung and throat cancer, not any other type). I wouldn't worry about it. Cancer is about 75% genetics, 20% luck, and 5% environment.