+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default finasteride regrowth.

Hi everyone, ive been on 1mg of fin' for about 3 months now, ive shedded a fair bit and my hair (on top only) is pretty thin, I can see and feel my scalp so easily*

The shedding 'seems' to have eased a bit but i am still shedding hair from the top of my head, a bit of itching here and there aswell.

I told myself id stay out of this forum for the first 6 months, but i the anxiety is getting to me*

Id just like to hear from a few people using fin' about when their hair started to thicken up again.

Should i be seeing small hairs 'sprouting'?

Im 27, Norwood 3, still receding blonde hair.

ive not experienced any side yet, other than a few spots here n there that i never usually get.

Thank you all.
    Adam

i think at best you will regrow what you lost if the shed was due to starting the fin regimen. if you are the lucky few you will see new regrowth. i never experienced the latter. i think overall, fin is a maintanier of what you had going into fin.

also get on minox if you haven't. you might as well.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1988 View Post
    Hi everyone, ive been on 1mg of fin' for about 3 months now, ive shedded a fair bit and my hair (on top only) is pretty thin, I can see and feel my scalp so easily*

The shedding 'seems' to have eased a bit but i am still shedding hair from the top of my head, a bit of itching here and there aswell.

I told myself id stay out of this forum for the first 6 months, but i the anxiety is getting to me*

Id just like to hear from a few people using fin' about when their hair started to thicken up again.

Should i be seeing small hairs 'sprouting'?

Im 27, Norwood 3, still receding blonde hair.

ive not experienced any side yet, other than a few spots here n there that i never usually get.

Thank you all.
    Adam

Fin may slow down your MPB, even regrow some hair or speed up your MPB. Many don't think the latter is possible, but I personally believe it is. I am 7.5. months now and have just lost probably about 20% more of my density. It also itches occassionally and constantly feels like ants are crawling under my scalp. You can read as many posts as you want on finasteride and research as thoroughly as possible, but the only way you will know is if you stick with it. Every one's physiology is completely different as is the way they will react to the drug. Many praise it. Some say it has destroyed their lives and some say it has destroyed their hair. You can't really rely on the Merck studies either, because there are SO many variables they didn't account for. I am not trying to scare you. I still have no idea if it will work for me or not. This is just how it is.

Thank you Warner8

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    Fin may slow down your MPB, even regrow some hair or speed up your MPB. Many don't think the latter is possible, but I personally believe it is. I am 7.5. months now and have just lost probably about 20% more of my density. It also itches occassionally and constantly feels like ants are crawling under my scalp. You can read as many posts as you want on finasteride and research as thoroughly as possible, but the only way you will know is if you stick with it. Every one's physiology is completely different as is the way they will react to the drug. Many praise it. Some say it has destroyed their lives and some say it has destroyed their hair. You can't really rely on the Merck studies either, because there are SO many variables they didn't account for. I am not trying to scare you. I still have no idea if it will work for me or not. This is just how it is.
    When did the itching start?
    Are you gonna stick with it?

Yeah its unnerving that there is no 'official', reliable or definitive advice or guidelines....wtf is that all about??!!

Well, have you ever tried to take apart a car? A hair follicle in itself is ten million times as complicated as that. In addition, you are altering the concentration of a hormone that has several other roles in the body. This is the major caveat of any medication. People like to think it's straight forward, however, there are SO many other factors involved. That being said, I agree that fin and dut are the only hair loss medications right now that have solid evidence behind them. Therefor, if you are not having major side effects, I would tell you to stick with it. On the positive side, remember that the hair follicle goes through cycles to produce new, stronger hair. That is why there is a "shed". It really is best to ride it out for a year and see what happens. What other choices do you have?

The itching is very random and minor. I have NO idea how this drug is effecting my scalp. Since I made the horrible decision to get an HT two years ago, I have lost so much hair. A couple months before I started finasteride I was shedding like CRAZY. After I started it, I was still losing large amounts of hair for about 6 months. It SEEMS to me that in the last month I have been losing less. Who knows?? I also think I see some new hairs sprouting up, but who the hell really knows. This crap is frustrating as hell.

The itching is very random and minor. I have NO idea how this drug is effecting my scalp. Since I made the horrible decision to get an HT two years ago, I have lost so much hair. A couple months before I started finasteride I was shedding like CRAZY. After I started it, I was still losing large amounts of hair for about 6 months. It SEEMS to me that in the last month I have been losing less. Who knows?? I also think I see some new hairs sprouting up, but who the hell really knows. This crap is frustrating as hell.
    yeah i was receding but not shedding before i started fin. My hairline is now worse, further back and lots of miniaturised hairs
    But the hairs I often shed aren't miniaturised though, they're good strong hairs with white bulb on the end?? Does that mean anything?

I'm worried that I'm doing permanent damage that wouldn't have happened yet if I wasn't on fin.

Yeah before is started taking this, i was considering a hair transplant as an alternative...kinda glad I didn't, but at the same time i wish id left this stuff alone aswell

For today at least, I'm going to continue to take it.

Yep its frustrating as as hell, waiting for a result that may be better, the same, or worse than when i started....when all the while, hairs falling lead me to believe that it will be worse.

Thank you for your words, and honesty, i do really appreciate it.

Some say the white bulb is characteristic of telogen effluvium... I personally think that the hairs that are "forced" to be shed during a treatment will have a white bulb, why wouldn't they? Just like in TE they are "prematurely" entering the telogen cycle. Therefor, fin may be "getting rid" of some of your hair fibers in order to rearrange the follicle and start regrowing a new, even thicker strand... Are you sure these hairs are miniaturizing? Remember that regrowth usually starts as fine, thin baby hair and progressively becomes thicker. In short, I know you're frustration. As another member put it in this forum... THIS IS F*CKING MENTAL TORTURE.

You have to look at it this way though: If you have MPB, then with or without fin, your hair was going to be lost anyway. You can ride it out for years and start fin when it's way too late to save it, OR continue with it now and see what happens. I hear that MOST people have a positive response to fin. With MANY it takes a long time to notice it's effects 6mo-1 year. Keep on it. Try our best to not count hairs and put the hair loss in the BACK of your mind. Style it, put some product in it and go about your day knowing that no one cares as much as you and REMEMBER.... MOST men are dealing with the same bullshit we are. MPB is every where.

Some say the white bulb is characteristic of telogen effluvium... I personally think that the hairs that are "forced" to be shed during a treatment will have a white bulb, why wouldn't they? Just like in TE they are "prematurely" entering the telogen cycle. Therefor, fin may be "getting rid" of some of your hair fibers in order to rearrange the follicle and start regrowing a new, even thicker strand... Are you sure these hairs are miniaturizing? Remember that regrowth usually starts as fine, thin baby hair and progressively becomes thicker. In short, I know you're frustration. As another member put it in this forum... THIS IS F*CKING MENTAL TORTURE.

You have to look at it this way though: If you have MPB, then with or without fin, your hair was going to be lost anyway. You can ride it out for years and start fin when it's way too late to save it, OR continue with it now and see what happens. I hear that MOST people have a positive response to fin. With MANY it takes a long time to notice it's effects 6mo-1 year. Keep on it. Try our best to not count hairs and put the hair loss in the BACK of your mind. Style it, put some product in it and go about your day knowing that no one cares as much as you and REMEMBER.... MOST men are dealing with the same bullshit we are. MPB is every where.
    Thank you james.

The hairs on on my hairline do look to be miniaturised, but i cant be certain. I just have to try and forget about it for now