Default SMP, the most important questions I have (experts needed)

Hi all,

I am thinking proactively about the future, and how SMP could be used to camouflage FUE donor scars. However if there is one thing I have learned is that I will never ever again jump into something without the proper research beforehand.

We know that there have been tattooing for thousands of years and they are considered to be pretty safe. However, to my understanding SMP is different in two important ways. It is injected into the upper layer of the skin and not the deeper layer where regular tattoos go and the ink used has a smaller molecular structure (although I am not sure about this)

Whether it is temporary or permanent, I have questions regarding their safety and their effectiveness and cosmetic value

Safety:

Permanent SMP:

1: The first and most important: can we be sure that the substance that is injected into the upper layer of the skin will in fact stay there and will not travel anywhere else in the body entering the lymphatic system for example and or can we be sure if it is get's carried away, it will not cause problems down the road like cancer etc?
    2: What exactly happens when the ink fades? I would assume it fades because the molecules brake up and some of the molecules get carried away by our system.
    3: What happens when we try to remove SMP? I would assume again that the laser breaks down the molecules and the small particles get carried away by our system.

Temporary SMP:

1: what happens when the ink fades, how does it get excreted by our body exactly? Does it enter our lymphatic system? Can we be sure that it will not cause problems like cancer down the road?
    2: I have read that temporary ink particles are coated in silicone. To my knowledge, silicone can't be excreted from the body. What happens to the silicone when the ink fades, where does it go? What happens when we are repeating the temporary SMP? Are we accumulating silicone in our body without the knowledge of it's long term effect?

Effectiveness and cosmetic value:

1:How does temporary and permanent SMP work in scar tissue, will it fade or will the ink flow everywhere in the scar tissue creating a smudgy look? Where can we see the photos of stellar results?
    2: If an SMP fades and needs a touch up doesn't that mean that you will only get a new layer of ink on top of the faded layer of ink ultimately creating a big splodge on your head?

I would really like if some experts in the field could share his/her knowledge.

Thanks.

Hi paleo,
    Firstly, the only true temporary pigment that I am aware of is manufactured by Beauty Medical. It is the product my clinic uses exclusively. Milena Lardi developed this product specifically to be used for scalp micro pigmentation and to disappear completely from your system over time.

This product is temporary for a few reasons. One, we only inject it at .5mm. Second, the particles in our pigment are 15 microns in size, and all perfectly round. This allows the bodies' cell defense system to "eat" the particles. The pigment is absorbed by the macrophages of our immune system and is naturally excreted, like all materials the body doesn’t need, through urine for example.

The particles are not encapsulated by silicone, but by a simil-siliconic bio-compatible material that can be excreted from the body the way I said before. All the particles and substances are developed to be excreted from the body without causing any side effect.

Regarding the effectiveness in scar tissue: This varies from person to person and depends on the level of scarring. We usually recommend doing a test patch first to see how the pigment holds up over a few weeks and then procede based on that. The great aspect of temporary is that you don't have to be concerned about the product turning color or migrating.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Hi Paleo,

Are you based in the UK? I'd suggest sending some pics across to us so that we could take a look at the area and advise accordingly. I'm prevented by the site rules from posting a link for commercial reasons but search for Brandwood Clinic and you should find us.

Hairthere has already made many of the points I'd have made. One of our senior technicians, Simon Lane, has SMP on FUE and burn scars and it has been highly effective for him.