A few questions from a first time user! - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A few questions from a first time user!

I have a receding hairline and am going to get a frontal "fullmoon" hairpiece. I'm going to shave my left-over patch on my forehead as well so I can wear the full-moon.

I have a few questions.

Is french lace detectable up close? And what type of piece would you recommend as a first piece? I would like something durable and easy-ish to apply on my own. I go to gym, so whichever piece is better suited for sweaty occasions. Also it would be great if I could leave it on for a while.

Before I apply the piece do I have to shave my hair to the T along the borders so that no hair gets caught underneath the piece?

I'm getting this! Is this a good company?

http://www.superhairpieces.com/frontal/

lace is fine, more durable but more visible. not sure where you are but, if first piece best to get a recommendation from a supplier which covers your country who can listen to your exact needs and suggest and explain.

Unfortunately I don't have a supplier in my country. I've contacted the company and sent them pics of my receding hairline and they basically already sent me their recommendations, drawings and explained how to measure it etc. I'm pretty confident in trying it out.

I just need to know the obvious! Which hairpiece is the most undetectable and durable. I would like the piece to be short and styled up or is that not recommended. Obviously longer hair over the forehead makes it undetectable but that's not the point really

The company said I also need to get their blue tape ( attach to the lace ) and glue ( attach tape to skin ). They didn't mention how it's done though. Any ideas with the tape etc? Please check out their page and the stuff and maybe advise me what I really need and don't

My biggest issue is prob what everyones biggest issue is! Trying to get it to look real! I don't want someone standing right infront of me while chatting and noticing the piece.

Would really appreciate any advice and experience here

Thanks

Hi Ben

I have no direct experience of Superhairpieces, but I am not aware of anyone saying they are bad either. I do have some suggestions for Internet suppliers which I have personally tried and know to be good, if you are interested. Any of them would be able to do the shape you need (I'm guessing you mean "half moon" rather than "full moon"!). The usual name for this is a "front partial".

Honestly, I think the combination of French lace and tape would be slightly detectable: OK if you don't expose your hairline, but not good enough to allow you to expose your hairline.

If you have a sweaty active lifestyle but you want easy attachment and a reasonable amount of undetectability, I would recommend a Swiss lace base with a thinskin (ie very fine polyurethane) perimeter at the back (where it abuts your real hair) and maybe a thinskin tape patch half-an-inch or so behind the hairline. Swiss lace for an undetectable hairline and breathability when you sweat; thinskin to give you a good surface to apply tape for a nice secure hold, and an easy clean-up. You would use a strong tape like Walker's No-shine for the perimeter and the tape patch, and a thinner tape like 3 mil contour tape for the hairline. I would you could keep the piece on for a week at a time. You will have to shave the whole area under the piece. Any hairs remaining under the piece would be visible through the base and give it away.

With the combination I have described you can expose hairline, BUT I would suggest that at the start you make life easy for yourself and don't pick a style which has your whole hairline on display. Brushed forward and flipped up is OK. There is a bit of a learning curve with hairpieces, and it takes a few weeks to get it perfect every time.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask any further Qs you have.

Hi,

Yes this is very helpfull. Thanks

Yes please give me other suppliers links. Always good to check it out. Thanks

No they actually call it full moon, which is in effect a half moon shape. But their half moon is a U-shape piece, so basically it is only for a weak receding hairline. I have that but the patch in front is super thin and there is a miniature gap between the patch and the current hairline. So I will probably shave/wax it off. You can actually check the two options they have via the link I sent.

I have a few more quesiton:

How often do you have to replace swiss lace if you take reasonably good care of it?

How do you take proper care of it?

You mentioned I could keep it on a week at a time. And then? Why do I have to take it off?

Regarding the hairline: yes you are right. It would definitely make more sense to have a stlye that actually covers the fake hairline. But essentially I would want to style it back sometime or wear it freetsyle. That is why I really want the most undetectable option. But yes I will most probably opt for the surfer-look style at first :P.

Is the hairline issue it really that bad though? Have you ever had someone notice?

You also mentioned the following:

I would recommend a Swiss lace base with a thinskin (ie very fine polyurethane) perimeter at the back (where it abuts your real hair) and maybe a thinskin tape patch half-an-inch or so behind the hairline. Swiss lace for an undetectable hairline and breathability when you sweat; thinskin to give you a good surface to apply tape for a nice secure hold, and an easy clean-up. You would use a strong tape like Walker's No-shine for the perimeter and the tape patch, and a thinner tape like 3 mil contour tape for the hairline. I would you could keep the piece on for a week at a time. You will have to shave the whole area under the piece. Any hairs remaining under the piece would be visible through the base and give it away.

Is there a video or some site that explains how this is done in detail? This all doesn't make much sense for a first timer :P. Sorry. Or maybe you could explain it a little more in detail? ( if you were to draw the full moon from underneath how would you position the tape and where does the glue exactly come in and where does it go? How do I remove the piece and re-attach it again )

I know its a lot here but I really need the advice. These online companies don't really explain this stuff in detail unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ben

You could get 6 months out of a swiss lace unit if you baby it. Maybe a bit less for your first unit. I change mine after 4 months, but I am pretty rough with them. Taking care of them involves taking them off carefully, taking them off before your glue or tape starts to deteriorate and leak into the lace and the hair, cleaning properly and getting all the old glue off, conditioning the units well, and protecting them from too much sun.

I think a week is about the right amount of time to keep the hair in place, but some people do longer or shorter, and it depends on your body chemistry and lifestyle to some extent. After 8 or 9 days I find the adhesives start to break down and get into the holes in the lace, making clean-up much harder, and weakening the hold. Also I think it is good for your scalp to take the unit off regularly to give your head a good scrub. Hair Club style salons keep their hairpieces on for a month at a time, and the piece can start to smell. Yuck.

I have not had anyone mention my hairline, but I usually use glue at the hairline. I sometimes use tape at the hairline for watersports, and on those occasions I let my hair fall into bangs. I would not feel comfortable scraping my hair right back and fully exposing a taped hairline - I wouldn't be confident that people wouldn't spot something. Maybe I am just being over-sensitive.

I am not clear from your post what you want video help about. I can give you some additional help by pictures if you want to email me on emptyheaded at yahoo dot co dot UK.

Sorry - should be emptyheaded1976 at yahoo dot co dot UK.

Hi,

what I basically need is to know how to put the piece on exactly and how to remove it. The supplier keeps mentioning I need to put the tape on the lace and from there glue the tape to my skin. Its all a bit jibberish.

You mentioned

I have not had anyone mention my hairline, but I usually use glue at the hairline. I sometimes use tape at the hairline for watersports

I kind of have an idea of what you mean but still not entirely that I'm confident enough to do it.

Where exactly does the tape go and how do I place it on the hairpiece and from there where does the glue go? Only on the tape or on the whole piece etcetcetc. And then how do you remove it?

Thanks

there are vids on youtube. everyone has their own method including tape on piece first. some tape on head, others glue not tape or glue touch ups

Hi,

Ok. I tried searching and couldn't find any. Can you please send me a few web links or youtube links to check and some other online suppliers that have a good rep.