Hair transplant expectations vs reality - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair transplant expectations vs reality

I'm 7 months out from a transplant. When I comb my hair to the side, it looks fairly ok. A bit comb-overish but I'm getting decent coverage.

When my hair is combed forward or back, I go back to being very obviously balding. Is this normal for hair transplants? Does everyone's hair look better in a specific direction vs another?

I'm less than 5 months out from mine and yes it does look better in certain ways. The problem is that people start feeling like they are almost done growing new hair by month 7 or 8. I've had 2 reputable doctors tell me they expect their patients to have as much as 50% more grafts grow in from month 6 to month 12. I try to remind myself of that. You probably have 30-40% more grafts that will grow in over the next 5-6 months. It will also thicken up for another 4-6 months after that.

One tip I can give you is to style your hair when it's dry and do not use gel. Use pomade or matte finish cream. A tiny dap on your finger tip. Fully work it into your hands and style your hair.

I think most of the hairs have, on average, sprouted by month 9 but after that the hair goes through various changes that can make the hair fuller. This is due mainly to how the hair settles into the proper angle and direction with the neighboring hairs as sometimes they can grow kind of kinky and wirey for the first several months. This is why many patients complain of not being able to style their hair properly during the period.

We all know that hairs that were transplanted eventually shed in the first several weeks. The procedure triggers the telogen phase and then anagen restarts at roughly the same time a few months later (spread over several weeks) and the hair reaches full maturity at roughly one year, plus or minus a month or two. However, I'm convinced that because all of the hair transplanted in one surgery is not all on the same telogen/catagen/anagen cycle they eventually revert BACK to their original cycles. Oftentimes patients will complain one to two years after their surgery that the excellent growth has reduced and the transplanted hairs are shedding. I believe it is this return to the orginal growth cycle that triggers this phenomena. When at any given time roughly 15% of hair is in telogen I think this makes sense.

I also coined the term "sweet spot for growth". This means that there are certain lengths that work better for transplant results and others are worse. Because we are not dealing with full densities you have to find a length and style that compliments your results best. If you were to shave your scalp clean then as it grows out you will reach one length that works great and then as the hair gets longer the length will not look so good. Continue to grow it and you'll reach another length that works well again. It's funny but true.

Bottom line is, you have more time for improvements and you will have ups and downs waiting for the final result but with patience and creativity you'll find a balance that works well for you.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    This is due mainly to how the hair settles into the proper angle and direction with the neighboring hairs
    Can you please elaborate a little bit on this? Does density improve the apparent hair angulation and/or curvature?

Quote Originally Posted by renordw View Post
    Can you please elaborate a little bit on this? Does density improve the apparent hair angulation and/or curvature?
    Many times when someone has a hair transplant the hairs that have grown in the first several months can have a kinkiness that prevents them from laying parallel to the neighboring hairs. The hair can be somewhat difficult to style because of this but as the hair matures it softens and begins to lay in the proper angle/direction assuming the doctor properly matched the angle/direction with the neighboring hairs to begin with. This can give the impression of greatly density simply because coverage will be more consistent. Better coverage gives the illusion of better density.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Its very crucial to have a proper approach of your expectations when you begin hair restoration treatment. When we consider the transplantation there are several question can be asked likely how much hair do you need? How much hair do you want? How much hair do you need ? How much hair is available in the donor area? On the other hand If you’re looking for non surgical options you have to be very sure that you are very reliable with ongoing maintenance Will you have more or less hair? Will there be long term costs?
    Any decision regarding health has pros and cons For example, if you would like to do a surgical procedure but only have a small amount of hair in the donor area, the reality of surgery may not meet your expectations. In this case, the best solution will probably be non-surgical. On the other hand, if you are unable to make appointments for regular service, then a transplant may be a better option.
    In the end, people suffering from hair loss have three options:
    1. Hair loss treatment. Use one or any combination of treatment options. Includes low level lasers, Minoxidil, propecia or other scalp therapy.
    2. Non-surgical. Includes semi-permanent and daily wear options.
    3. Surgical hair restoration.