+ Reply to Thread

Default The good and bad of 6 years on finasteride...

Hi Guys,

After years of observing this forum from afar, I’ve come to point where I’d like to get involved, share my story and maybe draw on some of the collective knowledge which is clearly in abundance here.

During exams in my 3rd year at University (2009), when I was 21, I noticed my hair was shedding at quite a rate during an exam period. After this continued for another few months I realised it wasn’t stress related, more that I was exhibiting signs of MPB. My crown was OK, but my hairline was disappearing at a rate not normal for a 21 year old. Even though my father still has a great head of hair at 62, my Mother’s brothers and Dad were NW6-7 by their mid 20s. Unfortunately it seemed I was heading down the same route as them.

So after hearing about fin, I went along for a chat to a pharmacist and came out with a box of Propecia. I have been on it ever since (6 years – I am 27 now), up until 1 month ago.

Initially, I started at the recommended 1 mg ED dose. There was bit of shedding at first which slowed down by 3 months.

6 months it had virtually stopped any hair falling out and then by 12 months I had seen significant re-growth. Basically it had worked an absolute treat for me and I was chuffed.

Since then I have incrementally reduced the dose to 0.5mg EOD still with excellent results (my hairline is still OK and hair fairly thick 6 years down the line).
    So in terms of ‘doing what it says on the tin’ I would consider my Propecia hair loss story as a successful one.

Now… the sides…

Whilst I have had no problems with erectile dysfunction, my libido has definitely taken a hit during this time but I consider it a small price to pay to have a reasonably good hairline. Thankfully, I have a long term girlfriend who rarely fails to get me in the mood and for me personally, I believe it is often psychosomatic.

So why am I now giving up on Propecia? The answer is gyno…

Over the years I have noticed my chest getting bigger and bigger. This has coincided with working out a lot therefore I often put the increase in size down to hard work in the gym (as well as probably there being an element of denial about the gyno). However, over the last 2 years when going through cutting cycles when dieting religiously, I have maintained a large ‘fatty’ chest whilst toning up over the rest of my body.

Having never being told about this side effect by the pharmacy that supplied the Propecia and not wanting to believe the wonder drug that has saved my hair was giving me man boobs, I missed/ignored the signs like puffy nipples and a rubbery feel to my chest.

It has got quite bad now and is the sole reason I made the tough decision to stop taking Propecia. I can’t fit into regular shirts well; I feel uncomfortable taking my shirt off in public and after researching the condition quite a bit, am seriously contemplating what seems to be my only option: surgery. To make matters worse I am off the Propecia and my hair is starting to fall out again.

So while I would recommend Propecia as it really does work wonders for your hair (as it did for me), I would urge people to do their research first, become educated on the sides and most importantly, DO NOT IGNORE THE SIGNS, before it is too late…

As I have grown quite accustomed to still having a head of hair, I am keen to do anything and everything in my power to keeping it. This obviously doesn’t include anything that could raise the estrogen levels in my body any further.

I am sure one day I will go for a HT however for now would like to try any topical solutions out there. So what I am really asking is there anyone that has been in a similar position to mine, of taking Propecia for an extended period of time then stopping, that could suggest a routine that has worked for them. I have order some 2 % niz and will get some minox and these seem pretty standard in most people’s arsenal, but am willing to try others.

Having knocked the Propecia on the head suddenly, I still have 6 months supply so was thinking of crushing the tablets and adding to the minox for a topical fin as I have read a few papers where this was reported as being successful. However, this seems to be not a very well covered topic on the net.

Thanks for reading (if you got down this far). Sorry for the essay, any comments/questions/advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Rapsac

Hi Rapsac

I'm 20 and started loosing hair 10 month ago.
    After 6 months of research I started taking 1.25 fin ED and my chest started to get bigger.
    After 2 months on fin I made pause for a month and chest stopped growing. Then I started 0.315 mg (1/16 Proscar) in every 3 days and chest was getting smaller. All this time my hair was falling.
    Now I'm taking 0.625 mg fin in every 3 days and I think my hair loss has decreased but chest started to grow again slowly
    btw. my gyno is not noticeable but I feel some hard tissue under nipples.

After stopping fin is your chest getting smaller? I'm really worried about gyno.

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchHairWontKillYou View Post
    Hi Rapsac

I'm 20 and started loosing hair 10 month ago.
    After 6 months of research I started taking 1.25 fin ED and my chest started to get bigger.
    After 2 months on fin I made pause for a month and chest stopped growing. Then I started 0.315 mg (1/16 Proscar) in every 3 days and chest was getting smaller. All this time my hair was falling.
    Now I'm taking 0.625 mg fin in every 3 days and I think my hair loss has decreased but chest started to grow again slowly
    btw. my gyno is not noticeable but I feel some hard tissue under nipples.

After stopping fin is your chest getting smaller? I'm really worried about gyno.
    Hi mate,

Unfortunately in the month I have stopped fin, my chest has not decreased in size at all (I take consistent measurements and photos once a week). If i'm honest I don't expect it to decrease in size although in this month the harder tissue behind and around the nipple has softened up a bit. This is why I am already resigned to going down the surgery route. I live in hope though and will report back on any changes over the coming months.

Cheers

yeah update this thread please good luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by Rapsac View Post
    Hi Guys,

After years of observing this forum from afar, I’ve come to point where I’d like to get involved, share my story and maybe draw on some of the collective knowledge which is clearly in abundance here.

During exams in my 3rd year at University (2009), when I was 21, I noticed my hair was shedding at quite a rate during an exam period. After this continued for another few months I realised it wasn’t stress related, more that I was exhibiting signs of MPB. My crown was OK, but my hairline was disappearing at a rate not normal for a 21 year old. Even though my father still has a great head of hair at 62, my Mother’s brothers and Dad were NW6-7 by their mid 20s. Unfortunately it seemed I was heading down the same route as them.

So after hearing about fin, I went along for a chat to a pharmacist and came out with a box of Propecia. I have been on it ever since (6 years – I am 27 now), up until 1 month ago.

Initially, I started at the recommended 1 mg ED dose. There was bit of shedding at first which slowed down by 3 months.

6 months it had virtually stopped any hair falling out and then by 12 months I had seen significant re-growth. Basically it had worked an absolute treat for me and I was chuffed.

Since then I have incrementally reduced the dose to 0.5mg EOD still with excellent results (my hairline is still OK and hair fairly thick 6 years down the line).
    So in terms of ‘doing what it says on the tin’ I would consider my Propecia hair loss story as a successful one.

Now… the sides…

Whilst I have had no problems with erectile dysfunction, my libido has definitely taken a hit during this time but I consider it a small price to pay to have a reasonably good hairline. Thankfully, I have a long term girlfriend who rarely fails to get me in the mood and for me personally, I believe it is often psychosomatic.

So why am I now giving up on Propecia? The answer is gyno…

Over the years I have noticed my chest getting bigger and bigger. This has coincided with working out a lot therefore I often put the increase in size down to hard work in the gym (as well as probably there being an element of denial about the gyno). However, over the last 2 years when going through cutting cycles when dieting religiously, I have maintained a large ‘fatty’ chest whilst toning up over the rest of my body.

Having never being told about this side effect by the pharmacy that supplied the Propecia and not wanting to believe the wonder drug that has saved my hair was giving me man boobs, I missed/ignored the signs like puffy nipples and a rubbery feel to my chest.

It has got quite bad now and is the sole reason I made the tough decision to stop taking Propecia. I can’t fit into regular shirts well; I feel uncomfortable taking my shirt off in public and after researching the condition quite a bit, am seriously contemplating what seems to be my only option: surgery. To make matters worse I am off the Propecia and my hair is starting to fall out again.

So while I would recommend Propecia as it really does work wonders for your hair (as it did for me), I would urge people to do their research first, become educated on the sides and most importantly, DO NOT IGNORE THE SIGNS, before it is too late…

As I have grown quite accustomed to still having a head of hair, I am keen to do anything and everything in my power to keeping it. This obviously doesn’t include anything that could raise the estrogen levels in my body any further.

I am sure one day I will go for a HT however for now would like to try any topical solutions out there. So what I am really asking is there anyone that has been in a similar position to mine, of taking Propecia for an extended period of time then stopping, that could suggest a routine that has worked for them. I have order some 2 % niz and will get some minox and these seem pretty standard in most people’s arsenal, but am willing to try others.

Having knocked the Propecia on the head suddenly, I still have 6 months supply so was thinking of crushing the tablets and adding to the minox for a topical fin as I have read a few papers where this was reported as being successful. However, this seems to be not a very well covered topic on the net.

Thanks for reading (if you got down this far). Sorry for the essay, any comments/questions/advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Rapsac
    If you used arimidex or tamoxifen you wouldn't get gyno Ever! Get back on propecia and take arimidex or tamoxifen and you will never get gyno. Adex= anti estrogen, tamoxifen =serm look them up

Quote Originally Posted by Rapsac View Post
    Hi mate,

Unfortunately in the month I have stopped fin, my chest has not decreased in size at all (I take consistent measurements and photos once a week). If i'm honest I don't expect it to decrease in size although in this month the harder tissue behind and around the nipple has softened up a bit. This is why I am already resigned to going down the surgery route. I live in hope though and will report back on any changes over the coming months.

Cheers
    Once you get gyno surgery is the only way..