+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I convince my dermatologist, who has ZERO hairloss, to give me propecia?

Hi. I'm a 22 year old male in Canada. All the men in my family are bald (my father, my grandfathers, my 3 uncles , except one uncle who is maybe a NW 2.5) so I know where my hair is going.

Currently, I've experienced hair recession in my temples, no thinning or crown reduction. But I want to start the pills now before it gets worse.

I have a dermatologist appointment in two weeks and I'm just wondering how I can convince him to give me propecia. He's in his early 30s, and has a perfect hairline lol. Is there anything I can say? Is propecia an easy prescription for dermatologists or is it unknown?

hey man. If he's a professional he really should just give it you haha. Just tell him, this is the only oral drug for hairloss, FDA approved and I want it. If not you might have to order from inhouse or something. Usually helps if you say you have already been on minox, they seem to think try that first even though finasteride should be the drug you try first.

Good luck bro and fingers crossed it does the trick.

I'm in Canada too, and both my doctor and the dermatologist suggested Fin and rogaine. The dermatologist was young with a perfect hair line too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Some doctors are not comfortable with all meds. Rather then push a professional outside the zone of comfort they operate in, it may be better to switch doctors.
    I'm more concerned that he won't think I'm "balding enough" to give me the medication.

that's how it looks. Would that be concerned enough for Propecia? I think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Some doctors are not comfortable with all meds. Rather then push a professional outside the zone of comfort they operate in, it may be better to switch doctors.
    that is true. However I believe the issue will be whether he deems my hair loss enough to merit medication.

this is how my hair looks now.

I think that would be enough for medication

i remember waiting 4 months for an appt with a dermatologist who "Specialized in hairloss" waiting for them to tell me of some new procedure or treatments for hairloss.

Nope! they just told me keep taking min and fin, and yes btw....she was a woman with a complete head of hair, and who will never be bald...complete waste of my time and my money. doctors who are not going bald themselves do not give two shits about the balding process

Oh yes its a guessing game a lot of the time whether a doctor will even prescribe it at all. Some doctors wont so then your out the money plus you got nothing. Then you gotta switch doctors and try again. Pretty big pain. For me derms cost more so id rather get it from a doc who I would probably be back to see anyway so getting the life long refills wont be such a pain. Having to take a pill forever is a bitter pill to swallow.

your general practitioner or family doc can prescribe you. doesn't have to be a dermatologist

Quote Originally Posted by warner8 View Post
    your general practitioner or family doc can prescribe you. doesn't have to be a dermatologist
    True, but I do think you have better odds getting it from a derm vs a GP. My GP is very anti drug in general while I went to a derm once years ago and he wrote me script with no real issues.