+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair curls/curves the wrong way?

Hey all,

I'm a veteran of transplant surgeries, but lately I'm noticing something peculiar that I'm not sure if it was there all along. I'm wondering if hair curvature is a permanent feature of a follicle or if it can be changed.

Although the hair is all planted in the correct angles and configuration in the temples, the native hair curls toward the scalp, and the transplanted hair curls the opposite direction: away from the scalp.

It's not a big deal, but when they meet it sort of gives a slight impression of a slight clash like a left and right parenthesis meeting ().

Because the curling direction of the transplanted hair is so uniform, I am not inclined to believe it was done in error, or haphazardly but perhaps there is another factor, perhaps related to the scalp, that is causing the hairs to curl upwardly instead of downwardly.

I'm mostly interested to see if anybody else has noticed a tendency such as this.

Cheers.

I find this quite interesting. I had a procedure in April for 2700 follicles to the front and temples. I have slightly wavy hair, now the hairs on my right temple seem to all grow back where as the hair on the left all seem to curl up in the same direction away from my head. Im only 5 1/2 months out so I wasn't sure if this would grow out over time. Im glad its not just me who has noticed this though.

I also find this really interesting! Thanks for the share.

Quote Originally Posted by D8n View Post
    I find this quite interesting. I had a procedure in April for 2700 follicles to the front and temples. I have slightly wavy hair, now the hairs on my right temple seem to all grow back where as the hair on the left all seem to curl up in the same direction away from my head. Im only 5 1/2 months out so I wasn't sure if this would grow out over time. Im glad its not just me who has noticed this though.
    Hey D8n, this is exactly the same situation I am experiencing.

My hair is wavy, and the hair on the right temple grows toward the back, up, and right. The left curls toward the front, right, and up.

The curvature is uniform throughout both temples, and all hairs curve the exact same way, so in my opinion it wasn't due to anything the surgeon did. I am wondering if it's possible that the configuration is just leading the hairs to push away from each other, and away from the scalp.

I've spoken with my friend who owns a hair salon. Although she doesn't know a lot about hair transplants, she indicated that when hair is sparser, the properties tend to change. The individual hair's properties are more expressed than the properties of the hair as a group. Basically, after we've had transplants we've got individually thick hairs, but they are farther apart. There just isn't as much weight holding the hairs down. On top of that, the thicker shafts are actually harder to hold down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    This is an interesting observation. We sometimes see this as well and agree that it is not possible that all the hairs curl all the same way because of implantation since we implant such short shafts that get mixed many ways we have no way of knowing which way they will curl. But, I have heard it many times at the ISHRS meetings that the transplanted hairs tend to want to curl in the same direction in SOME cases. It is good to hear not only the doctors talk about this. Sometimes we have patients mention this and it is hard for us to convince them it is not something in our control in some cases.
    Dr. Rashid, I'm wondering if you've encountered any further discussions on this issue. I just had a procedure done about a month ago to increase the density. At first, the doctor indicated he was concerned about the angulation, but after my hair was buzzed to a zero length, he said the angles weren't actually bad. So he followed the same design made by the previous surgeon.

I suspect that with an increase in density, the hair may hold itself in a more normal curvature configuration.

Hi well, this is actually a nice observation founded to you post hair transplantation as Dr. Rashid has mentioned earlier after the hair transplantation implanting such short shafts that get mixed many ways we have no way of knowing which way they will curl.

This thread shows that the advertised claim that transplanted hair will match your original hair isn't always true. It's apparently impossible for the technicians to know the curl direction of a hair follicle when it's being implanted, because the hair follicles in the grafts have been clipped very short.

Besides that, grafts can be distorted when they are placed into the scalp, or pressed into place, post-surgery (it's common for the clinic to "tamp" grafts down with pressure into the scalp). Distorting the shape of the delicate grafts will cause the hairs to emerge at unpredictable angles, and can even result in "corkscrew" hair, even if the hair was originally straight.

I'm not saying anything controversial, these are some of the accepted limitations of hair transplants... they are not a perfect solution to hair loss