+ Reply to Thread

Default Something odd happened

Hi, a friend of mine who frequents these forums told me that I should come and tell my story as some of you know people involved in research. First off, I am not losing my hair. Both sides of my family have hair well into old age and apart from losing about a centimetre above my temples it looks like I am headed that way as well. The only difference from 2 years ago is that I don't have the hairline of a 13 year old girl anymore.

I am now 50 and about 4 months ago I got the Chicken Pox really bad. My head and my face resembled one massive spot. It was ugly! Anyhow, it cleared and life went on as normal until a couple of weeks ago. I was having a shave after a shower and noticed lots of hair growing where I had previously lost it. I am starting to go grey and these hairs were thick and black, not wispy and transparent. The hair was concentrated around the area where the spots were the worst. It seems almost as though they were reborn. I am not saying that you should all go and get the Pox if you haven't had it already or to rub your heads on someone who has it but this is where the research comes in. My cousin who is a bio chemist said that it is possible to cure certain conditions using other infections or something of the sort.

Does anyone think it may be worth mentioning? You never know there might be a surprise in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked One View Post
    Hi, a friend of mine who frequents these forums told me that I should come and tell my story as some of you know people involved in research. First off, I am not losing my hair. Both sides of my family have hair well into old age and apart from losing about a centimetre above my temples it looks like I am headed that way as well. The only difference from 2 years ago is that I don't have the hairline of a 13 year old girl anymore.

I am now 50 and about 4 months ago I got the Chicken Pox really bad. My head and my face resembled one massive spot. It was ugly! Anyhow, it cleared and life went on as normal until a couple of weeks ago. I was having a shave after a shower and noticed lots of hair growing where I had previously lost it. I am starting to go grey and these hairs were thick and black, not wispy and transparent. The hair was concentrated around the area where the spots were the worst. It seems almost as though they were reborn. I am not saying that you should all go and get the Pox if you haven't had it already or to rub your heads on someone who has it but this is where the research comes in. My cousin who is a bio chemist said that it is possible to cure certain conditions using other infections or something of the sort.

Does anyone think it may be worth mentioning? You never know there might be a surprise in there somewhere.
    Hi wicked one. I am grateful that you felt the need to share this information with us, especially considering you do not personally suffer with MPB. To clarify, you regained hair at the temples where you had previously lost it?

I am probably one of the few active members on this part of the forum without any background in bio science or medicine. However, I know that damaging the skin can cause hair regrowth in some cases. I would hazard a guess this may have been the cause.

In any case, someone more knowledgeable or connected than me will likely reply to this thread soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
    Hi wicked one. I am grateful that you felt the need to share this information with us, especially considering you do not personally suffer with MPB. To clarify, you regained hair at the temples where you had previously lost it?

I am probably one of the few active members on this part of the forum without any background in bio science or medicine. However, I know that damaging the skin can cause hair regrowth in some cases. I would hazard a guess this may have been the cause.

In any case, someone more knowledgeable or connected than me will likely reply to this thread soon.
    Hi there Hubris, great to hear from you and thank you for answering. That is exactly what happened. I was really surprised when I noticed what was going on. The hair is actually thicker where the skin is still slightly darker due to the spots (some of the spots were worse than others). It would be great if someone connected to research was aware of this.

There have been cases before of hair growth after a wound, burns, cuts, etc. Once an area is wounded the body sends growth factors to the wounded area to repair it. Some of those growth factors attach to hair follicles. It's how PRP and Derma rollers work, for some that is.