View Poll Results: Do you think a good hair transplant looks completely natural?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

176 93.62%
  • No

12 6.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ebutterg View Post
    Sure, except that if you have to go back to get more grafts once you've lost more hair -- which is always almost the case - you're left with only the grafts that contain less hairs. So in the end, it's a wash isn't it!?!?
    This is a good question...

If you assume that a donor area has predominantly 1- and 2-hair grafts with a handful of 3+, you’d be correct, because once you took out all of the 3-, 4-, 5- and occasional 6-hair grafts, you’d be left with only 1- or 2-hair units. However, unless you have a very low density, and a very low calculated density (average number of hairs per follicular unit), you are not going to have many natural single-hair follicular units (probably no more than 10% in most donor areas). Therefore, cherry-picking grafts certainly will not clear out all acceptable grafts in one pass: there will be plenty of multi-hair units left if subsequent procedures are necessary.

The fact is, if you select the better grafts in the first procedure, you’re giving your patient better coverage from the very beginning. What hair transplant patients want is to achieve an acceptable level of density in as few procedures as possible, and for as little money as possible. By selecting grafts containing more hair from the first procedure, the person will get significantly, if not exponentially, more hair with a FUE procedure.

In an ideal transplant, you want to achieve an overall appearance whereby the density on top of the head is similar to the back. FUE is the perfect means to do this as you are thinning out the back subtly while improving density on top and up front. With a strip procedure, you’re clearing out a center section of scalp but leaving a dense section of hair above and below the scar. To me, this doesn’t look as natural as thinning out the donor region slightly so as to achieve an equal appearance in density throughout.

I could see myself getting it done one day and it's not about insecurity. Is it insecure for you to style your hair or shape your physique? it's just taking care of yourself.

Provided the procedure is done by a skilled surgeon and you're a good candidate then the outcome can be incredible. My concern regarding HTs is that it is a Permanent solution to a Progressive problem.

Even now, we don't know enough about MPB to say that if there is a family history of high Norwood loss taking Propecia will prevent that. We know that follicles that are being lost have a genetic predisposition for being oversensitive to DHT. But, what if these same follicles are also genetically predisposed to have fewer hair cycles than those in the safe zone. Essentially, taking Finasteride doesn't really change the end-outcome at all but only delays it.

I heard they can cause scarring.

Inactive

Hair transplants are a lot more complicated than getting braces/invisalign to straighten your teeth - and the reasons for getting (or not getting) any cosmetic procedure vary from person to person.

Off the top of my head, this is what comes to mind in terms of their not being a universal alignment in regards to every man with MPB pursuing a hair transplant:

*Not every man with MPB cares enough about it to address it. They are perfectly fine with the state of their hair and have no interest in restoring their hair. (It's hard for a lot of guys on this forum to grasp that some men simply aren't bothered by their hair loss, but it's true.)
    *Hair transplants are generally more expensive than dental work, which some insurance plans cover.
    *HTs are also less formulaic than dental work, and the risks involved are far greater.
    *There are a lot of plastic surgeons (especially with the advance in technology - i.e. ARTAS) who think they're qualified to perform HTs. This simply isn't the case. It's an art form in its own right, and between some surgeons not understanding this and a lot of patients not understanding this, you have less than stellar results walking around because people are simply misinformed.
    *As much as we all know about HTs, it really isn't mainstream and the majority of the population doesn't even see it as a viable option. To this day, I find myself talking to people about my HT who are in complete awe with the way it all works and that it's even a viable option.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.