Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoSox
    • Jun 2010

Lauster's 2010 prediction?

Professor Roland Lauster at Berlin’s Technical University believes his work could be a step towards providing treatment for the 80 per cent of people who suffer from hair loss worldwide.

Lauster claims the treatment – which would probably require the hair follicles to be implanted on to the head – could be available in five years.

What is the status of Berlin's treatment? Considering the cure should be out by now. Sorry of this has already been addressed.
  • Afghanwig
    • May 2015

Originally posted by BoSox
    Professor Roland Lauster at Berlin’s Technical University believes his work could be a step towards providing treatment for the 80 per cent of people who suffer from hair loss worldwide.

Lauster claims the treatment – which would probably require the hair follicles to be implanted on to the head – could be available in five years.

What is the status of Berlin's treatment? Considering the cure should be out by now. Sorry of this has already been addressed.
    Scientists make these kinds of statements to attract money. I'm pretty sure we're more than 5 years away right now. 5 years would mean they'd have to start trials NOW. But we're probably even 5 years away from a pre clinical cure. So at the moment I think it would be a safe guess that we're at least 10 years away. Probably (way) more though.

Comment

• hellouser
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Afghanwig
      Scientists make these kinds of statements to attract money. I'm pretty sure we're more than 5 years away right now. 5 years would mean they'd have to start trials NOW. But we're probably even 5 years away from a pre clinical cure. So at the moment I think it would be a safe guess that we're at least 10 years away. Probably (way) more though.
      They did attract potential investors and when they showcased their work, Lauster's team got snubbed by everyone.

Basically: nobody cares to cure baldness.

Comment

• Swooping
        • May 2014

We still got 2 months. It might come, be patient dude.

Comment

• Arieux
          • Jun 2015

@BoSox:
          Few months ago dr Gerd Lindner, who works with dr Lauster, said in the interview published on *** by hellouser:
          How far are you? Does it work in animal models?
          We have progressed so far with the development of this technology that preclinical animal studies and clinical trials on humans can be processed after acquisition of adequate financing in a detailed planned test program now. We are very confident that this technique is successful because at the development of hair shafts even succeed in vitro.
          http://www.****************/interact...al-Cure-Exists

So they seem to be VERY close. In this november everything will be clear.

Comment

• FooFighter
            • Feb 2015

It will never be cure for hair loss. Not in next 30 years. Maybe better treatment, but with a lot of side effects and it will not work for all.

Hair loss is really hard to cure.

Comment

• Renee
              • Jul 2015

We need to have Desmond and hellouser ask at the congress:

1) dr christiano about the New York Times article stating she created a company called rapunzel to commercialize her 3d spheroid method.

2) dr Linder or dr atac when will your method be available for clinical use.

Comment

• Hemo
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by FooFighter
                It will never be cure for hair loss. Not in next 30 years. Maybe better treatment, but with a lot of side effects and it will not work for all.

Hair loss is really hard to cure.
                If you have the money, a HT is just about as good as it's going to be for awhile. There are some pretty great docs out there now where the results are pretty indistinguishable from non-baldies.

Comment

• barfacan
                  • Feb 2015

^

That's absolutely true, but what we need (at a minimum) is a way to at least maintain hair without any nasty side effects....

A topical that doesn't go systemic, at the least.

Comment

• Arieux
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by FooFighter
                    It will never be cure for hair loss. Not in next 30 years
                    Just the same pure speculation as ,,5 years away'' but based on worse mood.

Comment

• Swooping
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by Afghanwig
                      I feel like this too. No scientist will speak negatively of their findings or potential treatment. They want to attract funding so they can initiate research with the intention that something good comes out of it. Now Lauster is a very high elite researcher with his team and so are the likes of Christiano, Jahoda etc. I'm just generally very curious how far they are, most importantly how these cells would behave if implanted in vivo. I'm also pretty sure that in a world without boundaries they would crack this pretty fast just through trial & error. But we know that this isn't possible. Better biological models would help tremendously to speed their research.

Don't emphasize too much on what a researcher will predict when something is available. Ken Washenik who clearly in my opinion is a borderline troll already promised a treatment twice in 5 years. He is a chief medical director of Bosley. A hair transplant clinic mill with terrible results overall that has scarred many patients. That guy will put his hands everywhere where he can earn a dime. Let's also don't forget the interview with Cotsarelis last year. Desmond who is very kind optimistic person interviewed him and this were the answers of Cotsarelis;

1) Follica's phase 2 trial completed recently with promising results. But they have insufficient funds to continue with further trials. So at this point everything has been put on hold.
                      3) I brought up the crowdfunding idea particularly with regards to Follica and he said the amount necessary is quite large. So I insisted on an actual amount and here's what he said: "US $2 million would bring out a product that would be more effective than Minoxidil and Propecia but would not give a bald person a full head of hair. US $20 million will provide the kind of funding necessary to give someone who is already bald a full head of hair but it will take more years to accomplish".
                      Just lol. And well everyone knows about the constant "5 year timeline".

A treatment that shows good results will rapidly receive funding and launch to market. There is much money to be made now with the constantly increasing market of hair loss and hair restoration surgery. At least there seems to be an influx of interest because of this which is a good thing, at least I feel so recently.

Let's hope that we will receive good news soon that someone new is going to launch to pre-clinical or clinical trials with a promising treatment asap based on regenerative therapy. Besides that I cheer for Shisheido, hopefully they will pull of something great. Time will tell.

Comment

• allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Swooping
                        I feel like this too. No scientist will speak negatively of their findings or potential treatment. They want to attract funding so they can initiate research with the intention that something good comes out of it. Now Lauster is a very high elite researcher with his team and so are the likes of Christiano, Jahoda etc. I'm just generally very curious how far they are, most importantly how these cells would behave if implanted in vivo. I'm also pretty sure that in a world without boundaries they would crack this pretty fast just through trial & error. But we know that this isn't possible. Better biological models would help tremendously to speed their research.

Don't emphasize too much on what a researcher will predict when something is available. Ken Washenik who clearly in my opinion is a borderline troll already promised a treatment twice in 5 years. He is a chief medical director of Bosley. A hair transplant clinic mill with terrible results overall that has scarred many patients. That guy will put his hands everywhere where he can earn a dime. Let's also don't forget the interview with Cotsarelis last year. Desmond who is very kind optimistic person interviewed him and this were the answers of Cotsarelis;

Just lol. And well everyone knows about the constant "5 year timeline".

A treatment that shows good results will rapidly receive funding and launch to market. There is much money to be made now with the constantly increasing market of hair loss and hair restoration surgery. At least there seems to be an influx of interest because of this which is a good thing, at least I feel so recently.

Let's hope that we will receive good news soon that someone new is going to launch to pre-clinical or clinical trials with a promising treatment asap based on regenerative therapy. Besides that I cheer for Shisheido, hopefully they will pull of something great. Time will tell.
                        I had a read through the page linked to at the start of this thread, and it talks about Lindner's process not being viable because they can't get cells to replicate properly in high enough quantities to be worth doing. Which cells are these and has anything changed since then? I remember a thread or threads on here not that long ago talking about cell culturing problems being solved. It doesn't to me sound like there's THAT much left to figure out.

Comment

• ShookOnes
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                          I had a read through the page linked to at the start of this thread, and it talks about Lindner's process not being viable because they can't get cells to replicate properly in high enough quantities to be worth doing. Which cells are these and has anything changed since then? I remember a thread or threads on here not that long ago talking about cell culturing problems being solved. It doesn't to me sound like there's THAT much left to figure out.

the thing is, however little there is to figure out... many take decades. kind of like how scientists got closer to curing cancer and aids every single year with hype and new information.... don't expect a cure within 2 decades bro...

Comment

• allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ShookOnes
                            the thing is, however little there is to figure out... many take decades. kind of like how scientists got closer to curing cancer and aids every single year with hype and new information.... don't expect a cure within 2 decades bro...
                            Two decades based on what? There seems to be something new and impressive being reported every week on these boards.

Comment

• Renee
                              • Jul 2015

From their website tissuse.com

"TissUse has also, at the same time, received an exclusive license for a promising cell therapy to combat hair loss, which was developed by the same department of the TU Berlin. “We are carrying out first clinical testing of this therapy with hair transplant centres worldwide,” said Marx."

According to Desmond there still needs to be solved a final issue with their method so How are they testing if they haven't solved it yet?

Comment

Working...