+ Reply to Thread

Post Treatment Options! Need experienced advice

Hi guys,

To jump right in without being long winded, i'm 25 years old and my hairline has been receding for a long time and my crown thinning for about three years I would say. Ive been trying to hold off for as long as I can on meds and have been getting by fairly ok using topic for the last 3 years but have reached the stage where I can no longer hide it. My hair has become matted due to overuse of topic and hairspray, and i'm wearing hats 90% of the time, avoiding well lit rooms, water and wind which is becoming a massive burden on my life. Right now I would say i'm Norwood 3V.

Im the only one in my family balding (5 brothers) and neither father or uncles are bald so part of me is convinced that theres another reason.

Also thought i'd mention that around last oct/nov my hair started shredding drastically. So around xmas 2014 I started taking Biotin supplements and I was taking Melanotan II at the same time. For whatever reason around xmas time my hair started to thicken massively and my hairline started completely regrowing to the stage where i actually thought id achieve a full head of hair again! unfortunately around late Jan/Feb it all started shedding again rapidly and is the worst its ever been and doesn't show signs of stopping. I still don't know what caused this regrowth but it causes me to question if its even MPB or not, if anyone has any insight that would be great.

Anyways to the point, i need a solution quick! As far as I know my options are:

1:Minoxidil - seems the safest and could regrow my crown but i'm terrified of the shed, does everyone get this and how bad/long does it last for? A shed at this stage would render me quite bald I worry

2: Finistride - seems effective i'm just very against messing with my libido, had libido issues before for an unknown reason and id never go back there again

3: Dutasteride - probably worse for libido than fin but heard regrowth is amazing

4: RU - i dont know much about this but im assuming its a topical fin? seems very popular at the moment and assuming thats because it has less sides than fin?

I really dont know what to do and would really appreciate some advice/experience/insight and which way to go with this

thanks guys

First off, if you are afraid of a shed, you are kind of screwed, because I believe the majority of people that jump on hair loss medications start the regrowth process by initially shedding hair....SO, the follicle can begin growing a thicker, stronger hair. Any one on here will tell you the same - The only meds that have any substantial research and history behind them are finasteride and minox. If you are scared of lowered libido, start really slow. 1mg EOD and carefully monitor yourself.

Perhaps visit your GP to confirm that you are suffering from MPB and not some other form of hair loss.

If MPB, go on Finasteride and Minoxidil. Don't try Dutasteride. If Finasteride doesn't work or gives you bad sides, try RU.

Be prepared to shed and stick with it.

thanks for the reply guys, I guess il have to endure the shed if it means getting some regrowth and keeping my hair in the future! although i know its not guaranteed, can anyone tell me what exactly the benefits of RU are?

Quote Originally Posted by brianwalsh90 View Post
    thanks for the reply guys, I guess il have to endure the shed if it means getting some regrowth and keeping my hair in the future! although i know its not guaranteed, can anyone tell me what exactly the benefits of RU are?
    RU is a topical anti-androgen which is less systemic than Finasteride. Therefore, it should result in fewer symptoms than oral anti-androgens such as Finasteride and Dutasteride.