+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice and experience needed?!?

I am 26 years old and I have no family history of balding - at least before the age of 50. My father and all of my uncles have as well as my brothers have full heads of hair. Cousins do as well. In June of 2015 (3 months ago) I cut my hair which at the time was 14 inches long. I instantly regretted it, but figured I'd just grow it out again. I complained a lot about how much I missed my hair, and a friend stated that I should use rogaine to make it grow faster. (In hind sight stupid I know) with out much knowledge of rogaine or how it worked I proceed to follow through with this "speed growth" experiment. Afraid that it would do something to the entirety of my my hair I opted to try it on my front and tempals first (aug 4) - rubbing it all over my hairline as far as an inch behind my hairline. I used rogaine 5% foam for 10 days twice daily. After ten days I noticed a small thin spot (appeared almost bald) in the front of my hairline. I freaked out and suddenly stopped using rogaine instantly. At this point I started to notice mass amounts of hair falling on my hands while showering. Come to find out this is the "initial dead shed" commonly associated with hair loss products. I thought that stopping the product would end my shedding, but this has not been the case. Today is six weeks since stopping the use of rogaine, and I still seem to be shedding 50 plus hairs in the shower. This is something I've never noticed before, and prior to this I didn't think I had a hair problem. I figured if I shed this much previously in the shower then I would have noticed 50 plus 14 inch hairs falling out in the shower. Also, if I rub my hands through my hair over the sink repeatedly I can accumulate another 30-40 hairs. did I start some balding process that won't end now?!? I saw a dermatologist and he was familiar with the initial affects of minoxidil. He took a family history of hair loss, examined my scalp, did a scrape of my scalp, and then stated that he highly highly doubted I was experiencing some sudden onset and aggressive onset of MPB. He told me that once the process of "shedding" begins it can't be stopped and one must go through it, and t could last up to 3 months! Is this true?? Please help ease my misery and anxiety. Any input would help!!

Default Help

57 views and no one can offer me their opinion?! Please. Any experience or opinions welcome!!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hello Lito! Welcome to this great forum.

First of all, if you are at a NW-scale , which would you say that you are at?
    Also, it would really HELP if you would post photos of your hair, front and back, using good lighting.
    Of course you do not have to show your face. Just your hairline.
    Hope to hear back from you today.
    Are you here in the United States?

One more thing,,do NOT allow yourself to become STRESSED out over hair issues,,or anything else in life.
    Stress WILL cause a percentage of hairloss too.

Default Norwood 2/ mature hairline?

I would assume I'm a 2 on the Norwood scale. Two months ago I had extremely long hair, and I always wore it pulled back. Never did I feel I was balding, and no one ever mentioned anything either. Again, I also never noticed any "shedding" prior to the use of rogaine. I feel that I would have noticed with 2 ft hair strands accumulating in the shower - right?! I made a second appt with another dermatologist for a second opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	41734   Click image for larger version

Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	41735   Click image for larger version

Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	41736   Click image for larger version

Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	41737   Click image for larger version

Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	41738   Click image for larger version

Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	41739  

Great photos Lito! Thank you....

The first thing I would say to you is that you MIGHT ONLY be experiencing a natural maturing of your hair.
    No one really knows at this point in time.
    Your hairline does looks A-OK at this point in time.
    Its possible that you may be experiencing hairloss but it MIGHT be minor my friend!
    Again Ill say, STRESS WILL cause you to lose much more hair so please be accepting of what you have.
    Keep in mind that there WILL be much better treatments in our future...especially for you younger guys!!
    (women too)
    But you cannot hold back on life and happiness.
    Your hairline looks GOOD...of course not what it probably looked like when you were a teenager but like I said, your maturing bro.
    Now, I would suggest that you possibly try using Finasteride.
    It is NOT as dangerous as you might read online.
    My doctor had prescribed Finasteride to me back in 2013..Im still on it and I DO NOT experience any bad side-effects from it.
    I AM EXPERIENCING ONGOING POSITIVE results from its usage.
    My doctor has been prescribing Fin' to over 100 of his patients,,NONE have had bad sides from it..all have experienced hair improvements..some minor and some major!!
    Also, start taking the vitamin Biotin for hair.
    It does HELP hairloss as well!

Default Than you!

I greatly appreciate your timely and friendly responses - truly greatly appreciated. I am a worrier, and have high amounts of anxiety and stress - diagnosed with severe anxiety. I will be back within the year to keep y'all updated on the progression or lack there of - hopefully. After the past 6 weeks of research I have highly considered using fin, and am going to ask my dermatologist about it this Thursday. After all I took accutane at the age of 14, which from my understanding is more dangerous in terms of side effects.
    Thanks again!

Hello again Lito,
    You are quite welcomed my friend.

Please let me know how the visit with your dermatologist went.
    You certainly should consider the use of Finasteride, Lito.
    As Ive said, Ive been on it , 1mg per day, for 2 years and 1 month now.
    I had posted 'before and after' photos of my hair on my Thread-
    "Artista and Finasteride"
    started on 8/3/2013.

The photos of the front of my hair had been posted on page 15 @ 3/5/2015
    The photos of the back of my head had been posted on page18 @ 5/14/2015

You also have to read my important explanations with each posting of pics.
    (read the whole Thread as well , its interesting )

Lito,
    of course my hair is NOT perfect at all but I have accepted my scalp for what it is.
    I am living my life and happy overall.
    I would prefer a full head of hair of course but we all must accept the realities of TODAY.
    If you dont, the anxieties and stress that you would continue to suffer will cause a lot of hairloss.
    I know that from experience.
    Now remember this, the last pic I had posted was from May of this year .
    My hair is still slowly improving because of my use of Finasteride.
    Eventually I will post more photos.
    If I had started Fin' years before my hair would probably have been looking better than it is now..I am accepting of this though.
    I want to be happy and healthy--and I AM.

Another thing to consider Lito,

You are only at the age of 24 years old.

Objectively speaking, and this is NOT any type of insult to you or others that young,
    The last part of a human brain to finish growing 100% is the Neocortex.
    (It is at the front part of ones brain).
    It will then give you a complete understanding of all things in life much better,
    You will then have true foresight , the ability to predict the consequences of your actions!

My point is that when a male is so young and his brain isn't yet fully grown (Neocortex)
    then unnecessary stress, depression and anxieties can and will take over your existence.
    Especially when one is concerned about hairloss.

Stay CALM ..all will be well for you my friend !

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hello again Lito,
    You are quite welcomed my friend.

Please let me know how the visit with your dermatologist went.
    You certainly should consider the use of Finasteride, Lito.
    As Ive said, Ive been on it , 1mg per day, for 2 years and 1 month now.
    I had posted 'before and after' photos of my hair on my Thread-
    "Artista and Finasteride"
    started on 8/3/2013.

The photos of the front of my hair had been posted on page 15 @ 3/5/2015
    The photos of the back of my head had been posted on page18 @ 5/14/2015

You also have to read my important explanations with each posting of pics.
    (read the whole Thread as well , its interesting )

Lito,
    of course my hair is NOT perfect at all but I have accepted my scalp for what it is.
    I am living my life and happy overall.
    I would prefer a full head of hair of course but we all must accept the realities of TODAY.
    If you dont, the anxieties and stress that you would continue to suffer will cause a lot of hairloss.
    I know that from experience.
    Now remember this, the last pic I had posted was from May of this year .
    My hair is still slowly improving because of my use of Finasteride.
    Eventually I will post more photos.
    If I had started Fin' years before my hair would probably have been looking better than it is now..I am accepting of this though.
    I want to be happy and healthy--and I AM.

Another thing to consider Lito,

You are only at the age of 24 years old.

Objectively speaking, and this is NOT any type of insult to you or others that young,
    The last part of a human brain to finish growing 100% is the Neocortex.
    (It is at the front part of ones brain).
    It will then give you a complete understanding of all things in life much better,
    You will then have true foresight , the ability to predict the consequences of your actions!

My point is that when a male is so young and his brain isn't yet fully grown (Neocortex)
    then unnecessary stress, depression and anxieties can and will take over your existence.
    Especially when one is concerned about hairloss.

Stay CALM ..all will be well for you my friend !
    Give it up Artista.
    I donīt mean in a bad way but you seem promote Finasteride in all your threads, and giving people false information regarding sides.
    You even quoted before that the drug docent give sides at all, and by your claim and others it makes it quiet clear, that probably you have sides from the drug but you always promote people to use it because you are stuck with it.

Hello Herbaliser,

I wouldnt take anything that you had said here in a bad way-no problem.

I will respond to all that you assumed here in regards to what I have been saying.
    First of all, you said-
    "I donīt mean in a bad way but you seem *to promote Finasteride in all your threads and giving people false information regarding sides"

I can understand those assumptions on your part.

The truth is that I am trying to PROMOTE a BETTER LIFE for ,especially, the young men and teenagers that are concerned and worried about hairloss. Some do not have hairloss as yet!

Finasteride is just a possibility for those that truly do have serious hairloss. Not all of them do.
    I never say that they MUST take Finasteride, especially not the teenagers.
    Most of the time recently, I see that it is much more possible that these young guys/teens
    are experiencing hair 'maturing' and not yet any hairloss.
    I then do not mention the use of Finasteride to them.

Secondly,
    "...giving people false information regarding sides"
    Actually Herbaliser, I was and am giving MY true personal EXPERIENCE on my use of Finasteride and my doctors objective information about all of his patients usage with Finasteride.

Thirdly you said,
    "You even quoted before that the drug docent (*didn't) give sides at all..."

Thats actually not true,
    Ive mentioned many times before, especially on my thread, that I have been experiencing a 'side from Finasterides use. My doctor spoke of his patients experiences and their 'sides (of course) back in 2013 on the day that I was considering trying Finasteride.
    My doctor said that the only side effects present were of a small percentage of his patients who is experiencing a lessening of their ejaculate(semen) , but that's all.
    None of his patients (just over 100) have experienced any serious BAD side effects from its use.

I decided to start Fin' that year,2013.
    To this day, I have NOT had any bad sides' from it,,I do experience
    (as I have stated before on other treads) a lessening of my semen, but thats all.
    My sex-life with my wife has never changed-lol!

Fourthly you said,

"...probably you have sides from the drug but you always promote people to use it because you are stuck with it."

Herb'
    that was obviously an assumption on your part..
    Now keep in mind, .Im not attacking you Herb', I dont want you to think that you should get into an argument here, Im just being objective and honest.

Ive already mentioned before that ,yes I do have a 'side from Finasteride but it is NOT some type of dangerous/ BAD side effect.
    It is a lessening of my semen, nothing more.
    Again, Im not here to promote Finasteride, I come on here to try to HELP especially the youth of the forum.
    One more thing, I am not 'stuck with it'.
    It has been doing a relatively good job of improving my hairloss.
    In 2013, I was ready to go ahead and accept the idea of shaving my scalp because my hairloss was getting stronger.
    I didn't think that Finasteride would necessarily help me do to the fact that I was in my mid 50s.
    After I spoke with Spencer and others about this I decided to talk with my own doctor about this.
    I was surprised when he told me of all of his patients experiences with Finasteride for hairloss.

All of his patients have NOT had bad 'sides from it,,only a lessening of their ejaculate/semen.
    All of his patients have experienced positive results,, some of which having a very minor positive results and some others with major positive results, on going.
    As Ive said before, I am somewhere in the middle of all of that .
    I do have ongoing improvements to my hair due to its use.
    I never tell anyone to definitely use Finasteride. I always suggest that others here CONSULT with their doctors about it.
    Only a doctor can actually view ones POSSIBLE hairloss and make positive decisions for their patients....Like my doctor did for me!

Hi there Lito!!