lets vote who thinks replicel will be available in 2018 and why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Renee
    • Jul 2015

If it works to maintain what you have then it should work to regrow your hair.

Comment

• CAlex
      • Feb 2011

^^^^^^Makes zero sense^^^^^^

Being able to halt further loss does not effect regrowth. Hopefully increased dosing is able to increase regrowth though. fingers crossed toes crossed bellybutton crossed!.

If this perma halts and creates immunity to future loss it is a cure* Just not if you have already lost hair to a point you are unhappy with. But for any 17yr old guy just starting to be like wtf! im at the very early stages of temporal thinning or recession it is a CURE* for all intents and purposes.

hope this pans out even if its maximum effect is the ability to future proof people against loss. I bet the constant fear "where am i headed" nw2 3 etc would greatly decrease. It would also open up options later stage guys to go for larger ht sessions if they so desired.

Good lord I remember in 2008 follica was going to be the cure

Comment

• Renee
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by CAlex
        ^^^^^^Makes zero sense^^^^^^

Being able to halt further loss does not effect regrowth. Hopefully increased dosing is able to increase regrowth though. fingers crossed toes crossed bellybutton crossed!.

If this perma halts and creates immunity to future loss it is a cure* Just not if you have already lost hair to a point you are unhappy with. But for any 17yr old guy just starting to be like wtf! im at the very early stages of temporal thinning or recession it is a CURE* for all intents and purposes.

hope this pans out even if its maximum effect is the ability to future proof people against loss. I bet the constant fear "where am i headed" nw2 3 etc would greatly decrease. It would also open up options later stage guys to go for larger ht sessions if they so desired.

Good lord I remember in 2008 follica was going to be the cure

Go read about dermal sheath cup cells before you write.

Comment

• lacazette
          • May 2015

From the US army researchers in 2014 who recently patented the HF neogenesis on skin graft:

"A landmark observation in human hair follicle neogenesis was made when Reynolds and colleagues transplanted male DS cells from the scalp into the forearm of a female human subject. This experiment demonstrated that hair growth was partially dependent on DS cells for formation of a DP [104]. Recently, fibroblast cells isolated from the peri-bulbar DS have also been shown to induce hair follicles [105]. These studies demonstrate that only dermal fibroblasts from specific locations in the skin have the capacity to induce hair neogenesis.

The clinical development of hair follicle inducing dermal cells as a cellular therapy for treating alopecia is being pursued by Replicel Life Sciences Incorporated (Vancouver, BC, Canada) [117]. Replicel, is conducting a clinical trial (clinicaltrials.gov identifier: NCT01286649) using the autologous cultured dermal sheath cup cells isolated from a biopsy from the occipital scalp for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in humans. Dermal sheath cup cells are located in the peribulbar region of hair follicles (Figure 3) and have lower alkaline phosphatase activity than DP cells. Dermal sheath cup cells appear to be similar to DP cells in their hair inducing capacity [105].

Practical challenges including scale up, formulation, storage, transport and delivery mechanisms are the main challenges to development and clinical translation of preclinical observations.

if Shiseido use ameliorations in their protocol regarding those challenges compared to phase1, ( and there was a lot of progress in each of them), then DS cells will keep the power to induce HF neogenesis, and not only help the existing ones

Comment

• Renee
            • Jul 2015

Thank you lacazette. There is a lot of research on their on dsc cells if cultured correctly they will give rise to new hair. Hence if it works as maintenance it should also induce new hair. Members like calex just write without doing research!

Comment

• Swooping
              • May 2014

Jup, I agree TJT. I guess it all depends on many factors on what Repicel will bring to the table. Some points that would be important in my opinion;

(DP = Dermal papilla, DSC= Dermal sheath cup)

-Did they actually succeed in properly culturing DSC cells without losing their signature?

There have been attempts to culture DP cells too. However currently nobody has succeeded in that without the DP cells losing their signature. Does this problem occur with DSC cells too? And if it does, has it been fixed? We don’t need “retarded” cells we need proper cells.

-How will the DSC behave when injected in the scalp?

I think this is an important aspect too. How will these cells actually migrate into a hair follicle? A hair follicle is encompassed by a connective tissue sheath. Will these cells actually be able to actually find their way in the niche they belong too? Will there be room for them? There must be at least some form of very precise delivery I would assume. So will they be able to find their way and accepted in the place where we want them to be? Experiments in rodents showed that cells derived from the DP or dermal sheath migrate and incorporate into existing hair follicles. As shown by these studies apparently the most efficient way of this to happen is during early anagen phase when cells are normally recruited to the DP. Will this happen in humans too? Also will it actually happen in a arrested miniaturized hair follicle? Therefore at this point we can’t say that if it will work for maintenance it will work just as well for regrowth. It seems logical but no, perhaps these cells will only be able to incorporate in a healthy hair follicle or one that is declining not a fully arrested one. Studies talk about this too.

-Do DSC really repopulate the dermal papilla?

Ok so this one is interesting also imo and requires a bit more explanation. The reduction of the size in a hair follicle with progressive hair thinning and loss includes a fail to maintain DP cell number. Recent observations have shown that this arises from a primary defect in the DP (in AGA). So indeed modulation of DP cell number seems crucial but are DSC cells actually responsible for re-populating the DP ? Do we really know for sure at this point?

As you can see in the illustration beneath (fig 4.) we don’t seem to know where these fresh DP cells come from. However a recent study (1) does seem to point out that some hair follicle dermal stem cells might be responsible for this and that these self-renewing stem cells reside in the dermal cup (in mice). However we need more studies to explain how everything works and to be exactly sure from where these fresh DP cells come from.

......Aside from this there is also the possibility of new hair follicle formation by DSC cells but they clearly mentioned that this is not their purpose but may be researched in a later stage. All in all I guess it will be very interesting to see what Replicel can bring to the table. The potential is there really but there are uncertainties too I guess. Let's hope for the best .

(1) http://www.cell.com/developmental-ce...807(14)00688-1

Comment

• TJT
                • Aug 2015

That's a great breakdown of the situation Swooping!

Originally posted by Swooping
                ......Aside from this there is also the possibility of new hair follicle formation by DSC cells but they clearly mentioned that this is not their purpose but may be researched in a later stage. All in all I guess it will be very interesting to see what Replicel can bring to the table. The potential is there really but there are uncertainties too I guess. Let's hope for the best .
                On the follicle neogenesis end of things, I am hoping that the Shiseido scientists including Ohyama and Tsuji have already figured it out, or are very close. The Shiseido video did show a mouse with human hair growing out of its head, and even though it's not quite the same as balding human scalp, it's very encouraging to see. As far as I know, Shiseido intended to combine Replicel's technology with their own, so let's hope they have it all figured out or almost there!

Comment

• Swooping
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by TJT
                  That's a great breakdown of the situation Swooping!

On the follicle neogenesis end of things, I am hoping that the Shiseido scientists including Ohyama and Tsuji have already figured it out, or are very close. The Shiseido video did show a mouse with human hair growing out of its head, and even though it's not quite the same as balding human scalp, it's very encouraging to see. As far as I know, Shiseido intended to combine Replicel's technology with their own, so let's hope they have it all figured out or almost there!
                  Sure thing TJT. We are advancing more rapidly than ever. To touch upon the follicle neogenesis thing;

In the best traditions of scientific experimentation, the Durham team used themselves as guinea-pigs. Jahoda donated dermal sheath cells from his scalp hair follicles, and these were transplanted into the skin of the inner forearm of another team member, his wife. Three to five weeks after the graft, new hair follicles and hair fibres appeared on her arm at the transplant site. Unlike the pale, delicate hairs of this part of her arm, the hair growing from the new follicles was thicker and darker.
                  Another one which explains the same basically in a different fashion;

In the experiment, cells from the sheaths of hair follicles were taken from Dr Jahoda's scalp and implanted into the arm of a genetically-unrelated woman - his wife, Dr Amanda Reynolds. The tissue was not rejected and three weeks after the graft, head hair began to sprout from her arm. All was still well after 77 days. DNA analysis confirmed it was Dr Jahoda's cells which had caused the hair to grow on Dr Reynold's arm.
                  Actually on a human! So it DOES explain the potential these cells can have.

Comment

• Renee
                    • Jul 2015

Interesting thing is that even though dr jahoda made this discovery using dermal sheath cup cells he chooses to focus on using dermal papilla to cure baldness. Makes me believe something is wrong with using DSC cells hence I'm not too confident on replicel.

Comment

• ShookOnes
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Renee
                      Interesting thing is that even though dr jahoda made this discovery using dermal sheath cup cells he chooses to focus on using dermal papilla to cure baldness. Makes me believe something is wrong with using DSC cells hence I'm not too confident on replicel.
                      I thought this too but I assumed he wouldn't do DSC because replicel would commercialize DSC much faster than he could lol

Comment

• TJT
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Renee
                        The more angles attempted, the sooner the puzzle will be solved! That's how science works.

Comment

• ShookOnes
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by TJT
                          The more angles attempted, the sooner the puzzle will be solved! That's how science works.
                          The more angles attempted doesn't mean its sooner they find the cure. He's saying why not continue the path of something that perpetually works rather than start over?

Comment

• mcarpenter089
                            • Mar 2015

yes it does

Originally posted by ShookOnes
                            The more angles attempted doesn't mean its sooner they find the cure. He's saying why not continue the path of something that perpetually works rather than start over?
                            more angles mean more results its common sense

Comment

• unbalding
                              • Sep 2014

Comment

• nameless
                                • Feb 2013

Trichogenicity problem makes Replicel a ho-hummer but Shishiedo maybe has something with iPS cells.

Comment

Working...