+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

can't we just concact her to ask about that roller she mentioned?
    is anybody in touch with her via email or so?

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    can't we just concact her to ask about that roller she mentioned?
    is anybody in touch with her via email or so?

Here is her email if anyone wants to try and get more info.....:

c.higgins@imperial.ac.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    The roller stuff she talks about? No that wouldn't be wounding. The hair follicle consists of many types of cells. One of them at the base of the hair follicle are called "dermal papilla cells". Incredibly important cells for the hair follicle.
    In 2013 Higgins (the lady in the presentation) released a paper together with some top elite hair loss researchers where they cultured these dermal papilla cells (to grow them, multiply them). However there is a problem with culturing dermal papilla cells. When you multiple these cells in culture they begin to lose their "characteristics". So when you would initially start from fresh dermal papilla cells taken from your hair follicle and you culture them they will be different and lose their signature. So in that paper they explain that they could partially restore the dermal papilla signature when cultured in a high-tech method. They even did transplant these dermal papilla cells onto human skin and it did induce a hair follicle. However because they weren't able to fully restore the signature the hair follicle was retarded. Not like you would expect to see a normal hair follicle.

So she talks about a roller with dermal papilla cells on them. In theory when someone would fix the problems with culturing dermal papilla cells they could take a hair follicle from the back of your head. After that dissect your hair follicle, take the dermal papilla cells and grow them in culture in a lab. Then they could probably with some sort of roller deliver them to your skin and these cells would instruct to make a whole hair follicle. Leaving you with a full head of hair with androgen insensitive hair follicles pretty much. All theory off course, but nonetheless interesting that she is going as far as mentioning a "roller".
    That's a very good explanation. I wonder if she is in trouble mentioning about the roller and giving too much info.

Ask her !

Can't wait until this is viable in 15 years!

I Need this DERMAROLLER !

Maybe we could buy it already?

@ swooping I thought the chinese solved the DP inductivity problem by adding an extra protein or something like that. I think Desmond posted it a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes23 View Post
    @ swooping I thought the chinese solved the DP inductivity problem by adding an extra protein or something like that. I think Desmond posted it a while back.
    I don't think so.

They can work around the DP cell problem by using iPS cells, but as far as I know nobody has found a way to culture a lot of scalp DP cells without losing hair inductivity.

Most of her work has been done with dr. christiano & dr. jahoda. It's been more than 2 years since their ground breaking discovery. They have been absolutely radio silent since then on this topic, I would hope in two years time they have solved the dp issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Most of her work has been done with dr. christiano & dr. jahoda. It's been more than 2 years since their ground breaking discovery. They have been absolutely radio silent since then on this topic, I would hope in two years time they have solved the dp issue.
    It was 'in two years time' two years ago...