View Poll Results: Would you donate to send someone to the Congress?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 78.57%
  • No

1 2.38%
  • Not decided yet. Give me some reasons

8 19.05%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 9th World Congress for Hair Research, Miami (2015)

Hey guys,

Let's try and gauge how everyone feels about sending one or two representatives to the Congress this year. Do you think it is worthwhile? Would you chip in to get them there?

Cheers

I'd be willing to chip in again this year! Are you up for going again Desmond? I think you and hellouser are everyone's preffered attendees but we would understand if you didnt

Hi, I think it's important to send someone there, to get the news for us. I also have the feeling that lot of people will be happy to donate as long as the part of each one's donation will be reasonable. I would like to donate.
    Lets talk prices - how much does it cost?

Id be willing to donate a small amount, even as a poor chemical engineering college student. But before I do I want assurance of interviews if possible. Not only this, but recordings and uploads on the opening ceremony and its speakers, all of the presentations recorded throughout the following couple of days, visits to the posters exhibits throughout the congress, etc. If all of this happened it would be money well spent and I would donate a reasonable amount. I however think the forum should try to send two people. A lot more information could be gathered that way, and if someone's camera were to break/fill with data there would be a backup to record. If many people donated a reasonable amount ($20-40?) we'd have this thing funded in no time and tons of info by the end of November.

Agreed on starting to talk prices. Desmond, how much is airfare running right now to Miami for the start of the congress and back?

As mlamber5 said. I would like to donate if there is an assurance of interview/congress videos uploaded to youtube or some other site for us to be able to watch 20-40$ sounds reasonable since not everybody here are millionairs.

Yep, I agree we need to do it PROFESSIONALLY as much as possible, and not sending someone to just sit and hear some stuff. I think that for all of us - we would like to see videos, presentations, some interviews, review.. etc. But besides of prices - which ones are we willing to send there? except for Desmond maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by chongmet View Post
    Lets talk prices - how much does it cost?
    Read the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    - Round trip flight would probably be around $600 from Toronto.
    - Access to the Congress is $775 (very expensive, its listed on their site: http://www.hair2015.org/)
    - Hotels would likely be around $200-$300/night. I'd need 4 nights Nov. 17 - 21 (anyone going would need to arrive a day early, the congress starts at 11am on Nov. 18)

I'm somewhat screwed for video recording though, while I do have my Canon 70D, it's limited to 29 minutes of recording and 59 seconds. The Canon S120 lasts much longer, about 50 minutes, it'd be a much better camera for recording, so I may need to pick that up. I'll have my 70D as a backup though regardless, not taking any chances.

Cost of this would be significantly less than Desmonds trip seeing how the flight is much easier on the wallet, too bad I'm not a student as that would reduce the access fee. in all, we're looking at around $2,500 USD.

Luckily my day job during that time will be in my favour, I've got about 4 flag ship events I need to produce content and marketing for and the last event for the year is Nov. 16, so immediately after, I'm ready to head out for some much needed rest... or more work in this case.

I need to figure out a couple more things before I make up mind though. I'll keep you all posted.

Efedrez lives next to where this congress is being held and he is going anyway. So we need one more.

One could focus on recording presentations and making pictures of posters and the other person could focus on interacting as much as possible with the researchers engaging in discussions with them etc.

I will chip in.

Someone needs to set up an account to receive funds.