View Poll Results: Would you donate to send someone to the Congress?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 78.57%
  • No

1 2.38%
  • Not decided yet. Give me some reasons

8 19.05%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    guys, hellouser already said he would like to attend. he's eager to do it, and he even bought a new professional camera. he knows how to handle the recording, putting it online and so on. he's the perfect man for this job. he's eager to do it, and we should gladly pay for his ticket and everything else.

as for interviews, i'm not sure what people here demand. it's not possible to say in advance that hellouser should do interviews. for the lsst congress with desmond however, he contacted some of the researchers and managed to define some meetings with desmond, especially the meeting with gerd lindner and beren atac.
    if hellouser manages to do such meetings and interviews this time again, then great, but don't force him to make such a thing a mandatory requirement for funding his trip. with the recordings and everything else he's already doing hard work. don't think that it's easy to spend 3 days at the congress, record everything and talk to lots of people. it's hard and stressful. i even think, we should give him some extra bucks for doing this. not only paying his flight, hotel and the ticket for the congress, but also a few hundred extra bucks, so that he can have a great time in miami, go out, have some good drinks and so on. if a second guy is attending as well, they can go together if they want to.

regarding desmond: he did a great job at the last congress, but already mentioned he's uncomfortable with going a second time, with the fact that other members live much closer to miami. so let's respect his wish and concentrate on hellouser now, and maybe a second guy as well.
    I still want Hellouser to go but I think Desmond should go to. Desmond has researchers emailing him. Researchers have already established a working amiable relationship with Desmond. We should definitely send Hellouser and Desmond.

Also, keep in mind that Cots is a tough nut to crack and Follica was recently in the news. If we don't send Desmond then whoever talks to Cots will have to start from square one whereas Desmond has already chipped away at the ice with Cots. Cots was very reluctant with Desmond last year but surely Cots learnt that talking to Desmond did not hurt him so Cots might open up a little more for Desmond this year. If we don't send Desmond then whoever talks with Cots will probably get the ice treatment like Desmond got the first time with Cots.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    Getting desmond from australia to florida is going to cost 2k... is there anyone in the US we can send? preferably somebody from the south?
    round trip Florida to Australia is about $1500 to $1600.

I will chip in $350 if it's Hellouser and Desmond.

Quote Originally Posted by chongmet View Post
    I think that you might want to explain more about the congress, its scheudle and so on, in order to give some people a reason to want to donate.

Chongmet, we're wasting time. Did you ever hear the expression "paralysis by analysis?"

Let me sum it up for you" The hair congress is what it is. It's the most relevant hair loss symposium in the world. It's the place where the most relevant researchers collectively disclose and discuss their recent discoveries. Of course they hold some things back for competition reasons and that is one reason why it's best to send a couple of our best posters (Hellouser and Desmond) because they would be able to intelligently make the researchers feel comfortable that we're just bald people looking for some hope, and in so doing get some juicy nuggets of information that we would not get otherwise. Also, by having a presence there (two years in a row no less) we are demonstrating to the researchers that we are serious about our search for a solution to hair loss. And by sending people there it's like having our own eyes and ears at the congress, which is better than tidbits in the news reported by news people who don't really care about hair loss. If we send people they can pick up nuance that can be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    Getting desmond from australia to florida is going to cost 2k... is there anyone in the US we can send? preferably somebody from the south?
    Desmond has established a rapport with the researchers plus he knows his way around a hair loss congress. We should send him with Hellouser. That is not to take anything away from efendrez but Desmond has earned some capital and trust with the researchers. Plus, keep in mind that we don't know which researcher is going to present the best information yet and Desmond has made some progress with the researchers already. If we don't send someone then whoever we send will be starting at square one with Cots and Cots is icy. Cots would probably feel a little better about talking to Desmond this year since he met Desmond last year but if Desmond isn't there then Cots will probably ice-up on whoever we send just like he did to Desmond last year. The thing is that nothing bad has happened to Cots since he last talked to Desmond so Cots has probably figured out that talking to Desmond isn't a bad thing so Cots may open up a little more if we send Desmond again.

Hellouse and Desmond is the best combo we could possibly come up with.

I just found $1,400 round trip air fares from Australia to Florida and these fares did not even include a student discount. I think Desmond is a student so he might be able to get a cheaper flight.

I'm still wanting Hellouser to go to but I think we should send them both.

Start a Kickstarter campaign for 5000 dollar small donations for a password to get secret video material and intervies hehe

I just found many flights from Sydney Australia to Miami Florida in November for the $1,100 range round trip but in order to get discounted Australia RT airfare we need to do the booking soon.

We should send Hellouser and Desmond.

Let's get this going. We need to set up an account to receive the funds and Desmond should now find the best deal he can on a reliable airlines for the correct dates so we can get it paid now and get a big discount for early booking and payment. Let's get 'er done.

I will chip in for Hellouser & Desmond.

The congress is at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami, Florida. I called the hotel to see what the rates are because it would be cool if we could have Hellouser and Desmond stay right at the hotel where the congress is taking place. The hotel has special group rates for the event. The rates are $179 per night plus some other fees like taxes. The rate allows up to 4 people to stay in the room at no extra charge so the hotel won't cost us anymore for 2 people than it would for 1 person. They can't guarantee the number of beds but I explained to them that we would be sending to strangers so the hotel agreed to do their "absolute best" to give us 2 beds, and if we don't end up with 2 beds then they will definitely give us 1 bed and an additional roll-away bed. I booked the room from November 17 to November 22, which is 5 nights. I informed them that I would not be going myself and that in due time I would give them the name of the two people (up to 4 people) who would be using the room for those nights.

I had to book the room for the 5 nights because they only have 5 more rooms at this group rate for this specific event. The standard rates are about $350 per night so the booking had to be done right away to protect the cheaper rate. I can cancel the entire room/reservation at no charge up to until November 16 and if we don't work out all of the details soon I will have to cancel the room/reservation. We need to get them some money very soon. I had to pay for one night to get the booking locked-up so I have already paid for one night.

I also joined their rewards program so that the room will come with some additional benefits. For example, the occupiers of the room will get free internet, which usually costs $15 per day. They will have internet access in their room.

We can get Desmond to Miami RT for about $1,000 to $1,000 and we can get Hellouser to Miami from Canada for about $600. The hotel will cost about $1100 but that will cover both of them. The entry fee will cost about $1,500 for both of them. The total is about $5,000 - $6,000 to get both Hellouser and Desmond to the Congress. Let's get it done.

As I indicated in my previous post I booked a room at the intercontinental hotel (the same hotel where the hair loss congress is) for the 17th of November till the 22nd of November. That is 5 nights. The congress ends on the 21st about mid-day. If Hellouser and Desmond can get late afternoon flights from Miami to their respective homes then I can drop one day of the hotel reservation and that will bring the cost of the hotel down from about $1,100 to $900. That will only save us about $200 but keep in mind that Hellouser and Desmond may want to return to their respective homes on the 21st rather than waiting until the next day.