View Poll Results: Would you donate to send someone to the Congress?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 78.57%
  • No

1 2.38%
  • Not decided yet. Give me some reasons

8 19.05%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

For some reason I am not allowed to vote in the poll. That's cool but I am definitely someone that will chip in.

That aside, I think it's amazing that Atac has just recently emailed Desmond and said she will be at the congress. She went to the trouble to contact him.

This shows that Desmond has definitely developed a rapport with the researchers and we would be foolish if we do not send him to the 2015 congress.
    He has probably got the best chance of getting info from Cots.

Note to Desmond: You should go to the congress. You have developed a rapport with the researchers. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    Hey guys,

Let's try and gauge how everyone feels about sending one or two representatives to the Congress this year. Do you think it is worthwhile? Would you chip in to get them there?

Cheers
    Desmond, it won't let me vote. That aside, I read in a different thread where you posted that Atac sent you an email telling you that she would be at the next congress. It's amazing that she emailed you to let you know this. Clearly she wants to cooperate with you specifically. I'm impressed and I want you to go to the next congress. The fact that researchers email you (instead of you emailing them) tells me you have built a good rapport with the congress researchers and I think that you're smart enough to know that it would be best if you went to the 2015 congress.

Yes, as long as it's well organized, I could easily chip in around 20 dollars or so.

I think that you might want to explain more about the congress, its scheudle and so on, in order to give some people a reason to want to donate.

guys, hellouser already said he would like to attend. he's eager to do it, and he even bought a new professional camera. he knows how to handle the recording, putting it online and so on. he's the perfect man for this job. he's eager to do it, and we should gladly pay for his ticket and everything else.

as for interviews, i'm not sure what people here demand. it's not possible to say in advance that hellouser should do interviews. for the lsst congress with desmond however, he contacted some of the researchers and managed to define some meetings with desmond, especially the meeting with gerd lindner and beren atac.
    if hellouser manages to do such meetings and interviews this time again, then great, but don't force him to make such a thing a mandatory requirement for funding his trip. with the recordings and everything else he's already doing hard work. don't think that it's easy to spend 3 days at the congress, record everything and talk to lots of people. it's hard and stressful. i even think, we should give him some extra bucks for doing this. not only paying his flight, hotel and the ticket for the congress, but also a few hundred extra bucks, so that he can have a great time in miami, go out, have some good drinks and so on. if a second guy is attending as well, they can go together if they want to.

regarding desmond: he did a great job at the last congress, but already mentioned he's uncomfortable with going a second time, with the fact that other members live much closer to miami. so let's respect his wish and concentrate on hellouser now, and maybe a second guy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    guys, hellouser already said he would like to attend. he's eager to do it, and he even bought a new professional camera. he knows how to handle the recording, putting it online and so on. he's the perfect man for this job. he's eager to do it, and we should gladly pay for his ticket and everything else.

as for interviews, i'm not sure what people here demand. it's not possible to say in advance that hellouser should do interviews. for the lsst congress with desmond however, he contacted some of the researchers and managed to define some meetings with desmond, especially the meeting with gerd lindner and beren atac.
    if hellouser manages to do such meetings and interviews this time again, then great, but don't force him to make such a thing a mandatory requirement for funding his trip. with the recordings and everything else he's already doing hard work. don't think that it's easy to spend 3 days at the congress, record everything and talk to lots of people. it's hard and stressful. i even think, we should give him some extra bucks for doing this. not only paying his flight, hotel and the ticket for the congress, but also a few hundred extra bucks, so that he can have a great time in miami, go out, have some good drinks and so on. if a second guy is attending as well, they can go together if they want to.

regarding desmond: he did a great job at the last congress, but already mentioned he's uncomfortable with going a second time, with the fact that other members live much closer to miami. so let's respect his wish and concentrate on hellouser now, and maybe a second guy as well.
    Ok that's great. Indeed, hellouser is a professional in multimedia so he could record all the most interesting presentation and photographing interesting posters and such. However that is a big task in itself, I agree. A 2nd person eventually would fit then who could focus more on getting to interact with researchers.

I'll chip in if it's Dezza again.

It's like $750 for one ticket into congress. So about $1500 for two.

Hellouser mentioned it's about a $600 round trip from Toronto.

And then hotels about $200 a night i would guess. Depends if you want him at a reasonable hotel, or a shi*** one lol. Four nights, so about $800.

Unless he stays at that dudes place, who lives close to Congress. But they'll probably be uncomfortable about that. Soo a hotel works.

So all in all, this will be much cheaper than last time. About $3000, $4000 at max.. But if you guys want Desmond to go, it will be a lot more.

Someone please check if I calculated that correctly lol

If we had people contribute about $30 dollars, that would be 100 people. No way we are getting 100 people to donate. We're talking about $100/person, and since I'm kind of new to all this, I would like to know what happened at last year's Congress? What information did you guys gather? Was any progress made? Wont the information they present at Congress be available to the public soon?

In order to see how many we are, we need to manage a list of people, or else it's all empty talking. Lets make a list in this thread. Desmond should maintain it in his main post and add all the people that would like to chip in. Only with this we can calculate how much it costs a person.

Getting desmond from australia to florida is going to cost 2k... is there anyone in the US we can send? preferably somebody from the south?