+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

lacazette is this new exploring or founding really a step forward? I am just asking because I am not an expert at this particular matter ,so please dont mind

in other words, i think, this scientist also just found out that wounding plus a specific protein coc.ktail lets the fibroblast skin cells turn into DP cells and therefore form hair follicles. or have i misunderstood that?
    it could be that this scientist is a bit ahead of cotsarelis as it says they identified the 3 most important proteins for performing that task. they found it out by tinkering around with embryonic skin cells.
    cotsarelis was always talking about FGF9 but i don't remember if he mentioned other proteins as well.

it is good that there is a second team which figured out which proteins are crucial. that creates pressure on follica.
    do we have more infos about that research or study? could it even be replicated by others?

man, that wounding approach sounds soooo attractive. it could be so easy if we knew the exact protocol. this could create hair in a matter of weeks, and almost naturally without serious side effects. i also think that growth direction would be no problem. i have a feeling that the cells will find the right direction on their own, more or less. or maybe the wounding device (needle or laser) will guide the cells by the way and angle the wound is created.

did anybody else understood it this way, or am i wrong with the assumption that this is similar to cots' wounding approach?

Lack of Collagen VI Promotes Wound-Induced Hair Growth.

Collagen VI is an extracellular matrix molecule that is abundantly expressed in the skin. However, the role of collagen VI in hair follicle growth is unknown. Here, we show that collagen VI is strongly deposited in hair follicles, and is markedly upregulated by skin wounding. Lack of collagen VI in Col6a1(-/-) mice delays hair cycling and growth under physiological conditions, but promotes wound-induced hair regrowth without affecting skin regeneration. Conversely, addition of purified collagen VI rescues the abnormal wound-induced hair regrowth in Col6a1(-/-) mice. Mechanistic studies revealed that the increased wound-induced hair regrowth of Col6a1(-/-) mice is triggered by activation of the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway, and is abolished by inhibition of this pathway. These findings highlight the essential relationships between extracellular matrix (ECM) and hair follicle regeneration, and suggest that collagen VI could be a potential therapeutic target for hair loss and other skin-related diseases.

This thread has some very interesting reads. Although this has been pointing out countless times and is the most obvious of statements it is important to remember that while similar; mice do have a somewhat different skin environment. They have an abundance of g/d t helper cells, while humans have much less. Not only that, humans g/d t helper cells are located primarily along the blood vessels, unlike the mice. It is amazing they are finding all of these different things that help hair growth, but remember our skin environment is different. So I wouldn't get overly excited about something like this yet. That being said, I believe that in the future the best shot AGA suffers will have at turning a high NW back to a really low NW is going to be via wounding and and growth factors/environmental regulators.

@englishman, no problem dude No for the moment I wouldn't say that it could be a step forward, we have to wait more. But it could be definitly exciting as this 'protocol' is safe unlike iPS cells with risks of dna mutations, tumors formations,etc
    And as Mlamber pointed out, something can work in mice but not in human. Though they mention that the technology is now available for use to induce HF in bioengineered skin, or to replace human DP culture etc so I think it's not a problem in this case

Yes Joachim I undestood it like that too As he explained it could definitly be used after a wounding procedure to induce HF:

" regeneration can be facilitated by defined extracellular factors. We screened and successfully identified protein extract and a ****tail of specific protein mixtures that are able to induce hair follicle neogenesis."

"can be used in (A) As a drug for local administration to induce hair follicle neogenesis; "

I don't know what ****tail they succesfully screened, but it seems like THE powerful combination to achieve HF neogenesis (unlike the only FGF9 factor found by Cotsarelis)

So it seems it could work with a protocol like Follica, but not only!

-(2) Preparation of bioartificial dermis or bioartificial skin: addition of the extract in bioartificial skin or bioartificial dermis can induce hair follicle neogenesis;

So a possibility would be induce HF neogenesis in 3D scaffolds,etc, grow hair or hair germ on the bioskin before transplanted on us. ( like US army induced HF neogenesis and grow functionnal hair on bioskin)

-(3) In vitro cell culture: addition of this recipe to cultured fibroblasts can confer the fibroblasts trichogenic capability.

This one would be a simple cellular therapy like aderans tried with DP cells.
    Culture fibroblasts ( that are easily taken from a skin biopsie) with the ****tail and then inject them where we want.
    He say Fibroblasts with the protein exctract can induce HF in a full thickness wound, so it could be good

But if it's not sufficient,I think about something. The problem with DP cells was that the more they are cultured, the more they loose their inductive capacity.
    But now what about induced HF neogenesis with the cultured fibroblasts/****tail, and then add the cultured DP cells in the already induced HF? The cultured DP cells wouldn't need anymore to keep their neogenesis inductive capacity, and would just make their job since injected to grow hair
    Well the SJ lin protocol induce HF neogenesis, so that would mean that DP cells are created I think, but maybe in not a sufficient amount to grow a real hair, so in this case the simple solution would be to add cultured DP cells ( as long as they do'nt need to keep their inductivity, it solved the aderans problems )

So IMO this SJ LIN fibroblasts/****tail protocol could open doors for a treatment in different ways: wound neogenesis, 3D hair in vitro, or cellular injection

what is make me hopeful is also that quote :With this technology, hair follicle neogenesis can be induced without expansion of hair follicle dermal papilla cells from the patients.

And if you put in perspective with that previous human trial of SJ LIN in Taiwan hospital with 400 subjects:
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...ollicle&rank=3

Tissue Engineering for Hair Follicle Regeneration

This study is to try to maintain cultured dermal papilla cells in spherical structure in vitro before transplanting into dermis in vivo. Also, this study is aimed in clarifying actual mechanism of inducing hair follicle by dermal papilla cells.

Hair transplantation is an well-documented way of treating hair loss. Hair transplantation is based on redistribution of hair follicles without any new follicle formation. It has been long that a lot of researchers have focused on developing skills in regenerating hair follicles. However, cultured dermal papilla cells lose the ability of inducing hair follicle formation after several generations in vitro culture. Our study is aiming in culturing dermal papilla cells in vitro and maintain their spherical structure before transplanting into dermis in vivo. Meantime, this study may help clarify the actual mechanism of inducing hair follicle by dermal papilla cells.

So he tried with DP cells, so i'm quite confident he will try with his new found. maybe like above with 3D hair in vitro that are then transplanted. Or maybe with a wound neogenesis protocol or a cellular therapy as he mentionned aswell

I'll try to contact him and the taiwain hospital, see if they answer something
    Any tawainese guy here to wait in front of his lab door?^^

That clinical trials listing by this researcher on clinicaltrials.gov has a status of "recruiting" for the last 10 years. Has anybody ever contacted the researcher about this clinical trials?

Here is another study by sung-jan Lin released in April 2015:

Enhancing hair follicle regeneration by nonablative fractional laser: Assessment of irradiation parameters and tissue response

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...22330/suppinfo

Here is another study by sung-jan Lin released in June 12 2015:

A Two-Stepped Culture Method for Efficient Production of Trichogenic Keratinocytes

Successful hair follicle (HF) neogenesis in adult life depends on the existence of both capable dermal cells and competent epidermal keratinocytes that recapitulate embryonic organogenesis through epithelial–mesenchymal interaction. In tissue engineering, the maintenance of trichogenic potential of adult epidermal cells, while expanding them remains a challenging issue. We found that although HF outer root sheath keratinocytes could be expanded for more than 100 passages as clonogenic cells without losing the proliferative
    potential with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder layer, these keratinocytes were unable to form new HFs when combined with inductive HF dermal papilla (DP) cells. However, when these high-passage keratinocytes were cocultured with HF DP cells for 4 days in vitro, they regained the trichogenic ability to form new HFs after transplantation. We found that the short-term coculture with DP cells enhanced both Wnt/β-catenin signaling, a signaling cascade key to HF development, and upregulated the expression of HF-specific genes, including K6, K16, K17, and K75, in keratinocytes, indicating that these cells were poised toward a HF fate. Hence, efficient production of trichogenic keratinocytes can be obtained by a two-stepped procedure with initial cell expansion with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder followed by short-term coculture with DP cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Here is another study by sung-jan Lin released in June 12 2015:

A Two-Stepped Culture Method for Efficient Production of Trichogenic Keratinocytes

Successful hair follicle (HF) neogenesis in adult life depends on the existence of both capable dermal cells and competent epidermal keratinocytes that recapitulate embryonic organogenesis through epithelial–mesenchymal interaction. In tissue engineering, the maintenance of trichogenic potential of adult epidermal cells, while expanding them remains a challenging issue. We found that although HF outer root sheath keratinocytes could be expanded for more than 100 passages as clonogenic cells without losing the proliferative
    potential with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder layer, these keratinocytes were unable to form new HFs when combined with inductive HF dermal papilla (DP) cells. However, when these high-passage keratinocytes were cocultured with HF DP cells for 4 days in vitro, they regained the trichogenic ability to form new HFs after transplantation. We found that the short-term coculture with DP cells enhanced both Wnt/β-catenin signaling, a signaling cascade key to HF development, and upregulated the expression of HF-specific genes, including K6, K16, K17, and K75, in keratinocytes, indicating that these cells were poised toward a HF fate. Hence, efficient production of trichogenic keratinocytes can be obtained by a two-stepped procedure with initial cell expansion with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder followed by short-term coculture with DP cells.
    Should we say, look we are getting close to the cure! or we should say this is far far away for being in the market ? Am afraid it is the second choice.

We should reach out to the researcher, Anybody from taiwan?