+ Reply to Thread

Default new member 18 yo balding

Hi, ive read many different forums and up until now haven't posted.

I have noticed my hair thinning since I was probably 15 and its steadily gotten worse and worse. Both my father and grandfather are bald. I went to a hair doctor and after looking at my hair he told me I had mpb and wrote me a prescription for finasteride to be cut into 4ths. Ive been taking it for about a month now and will probably update as I hopefully see results. Ive never had much self confidence and this is eating away at the little bit I have left, it sucks.

You are definitely balding, and I'm in the same boat, probably at around roughly the same stage you are and I just turned 19.

The good news is that you have recognised your advanced balding fairly early, and you have done something about it. Keep taking the propecia and update us on here, I would like to know if you have suffered any side effects?

I don't know how much it's bothering you at the moment but personally it's become a big deal for me and I have some dark moment, I would definitely say that talking to your parents about it all will help you.

It’s good that your doctor was willing to prescribe proscar so you can save some money. Hair loss is not fun, but this is a good place to discuss your feelings and to get help from good people and doctors.

Leo, 1 month is way too short to see results. You must be patient (easier said than done) and wait at least 2 years.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

As long as you are not having any side effects I recommend to continue taking Finasteride at least 6-12 months. At that time you should see you doctor again for a follow up. He will be able to access your situation, and hopefully will see that you have stabilized. Any reverse of miniturization or waking up of dormant hair follicles would be a bonus. I would not count on this and just hope for no more hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

[QUOTE=leo;8378]Hi, ive read many different forums and up until now haven't posted.

I have noticed my hair thinning since I was probably 15 and its steadily gotten worse and worse. Both my father and grandfather are bald. I went to a hair doctor and after looking at my hair he told me I had mpb and wrote me a prescription for finasteride to be cut into 4ths. Ive been taking it for about a month now and will probably update as I hopefully see results. Ive never had much self confidence and this is eating away at the little bit I have left, it sucks.

hey dude,i thought i was the only one with hair loss at 15 stupid i know but im 17 now and tending a receeding hairline the meds that you are taking could u give me some info on them please.My confidence is so bad at the moment well actually for the last year and a half,
    keep strong,jamie

Please be aware there have been no long term studies on the use of the drug on young men. It was originally for older man in their 60+ range for disorders of the prostate and one side effect of the drugs was regrowth of hair (not in all cases).

Rigth now all men using the drug are the test, to see if there are long term side effects with the use of the drug. The drug was never intended for young men with hair loss. I wish you well and hope there are no side effects for you and you do have regrowth. But with a medications be aware of the long term effects and make your decisions based on being educated and not on emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCure View Post
    Please be aware there have been no long term studies on the use of the drug on young men. It was originally for older man in their 60+ range for disorders of the prostate and one side effect of the drugs was regrowth of hair (not in all cases).

Rigth now all men using the drug are the test, to see if there are long term side effects with the use of the drug. The drug was never intended for young men with hair loss. I wish you well and hope there are no side effects for you and you do have regrowth. But with a medications be aware of the long term effects and make your decisions based on being educated and not on emotions.
    That’s a very irresponsible response NoCure. The fact is Propecia has been tested extensively and has been used by young men for over 12 years. There have been men who started the drug during clinical trials more than 15 years ago with no documented reports of long term adverse side effects to date. I’m not sure where you’re getting your facts from, but if this young man wants to help himself, he needs to go to the professional and discuss his options.