+ Reply to Thread

Question Starting propecia, what to expect?

Hey guys, I'm starting propecia in the next few days and just wondering what to expect in regard to shedding as I've heard of people going through shedding when they first start propecia.

Little bit about my hairloss, I'm 19 now and my hairline started slowly receeding at about 17. Its progressed into either a NW2 or on its way to there. In the past few months I've noticed a lot hair falling out, not in the shower or on my pillow but when I run my hands through my hair, especially around the front. Crown is all fine, really thick actually.

I'm not interested in hearing about side effects, I am aware of the risks and if I suffer side effects I will discontinue the drug. So please keep your stories about side effects to yourself as I already know how bad they can be if they occur.

Thanks

I've been on several years and don't recall having any noticeable shed, not that I didn't shed but it obviously wasn't massive

everyone is different of course, i have heard of shedding being common with any new treatment

(not a doctor or expert, just a forum poster)

people that do shed say it usually occurs within the first 3-5 months and then it calms down followed by the regrowth. If you DO shed, be very patient. You have a LOT of hair on your head and will not go bald from it. You may notice slight thinning, but ride it out... in most cases it's a sign that your hair follicles are resetting themselves and shedding the old fiber to produce a new, stronger one.

Thanks both james and newuser for your replies, I'm feeling really positive about starting now and actually combating hairloss

my experience, little to no shedding, just preserving what hair you had to start, and slow down progression. i didnt get regrowth, nor did i get a synergistic effect with minox. this is after a year and half of use with minox.