+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant for Receding Hairline

I was curious about the age you think it would be appropriate to fill in temples/corners on a hairline. I have a minor receding hairline that I would like corrected. I am 25 and my hairline has not changed much for the past 4 years (been on fin). If I would like to straighten my hairline, how long do you think I should wait before deeming it appropriate/safe?

Also, is it okay to expect that hair restoration will probably change a great deal over the next decade and thus I should have more than enough donor to take that risk until something better comes along?

Hi JSmyth; being that you are 25 it is likely you will experience a norwood scale of 7 over your lifetime; so next we will need to consider what type of hairline you would like and most importantly what hairline would look natural as you age.
    If the hairline you want to achieve now would look natural in framing your face as you age; then it would be ok to restore the hairline now, the most important thing for you to consider would be the hairline that you want later in your years and will it look natural in framing your face.
    Framing your face is one of the most important decisions, but you also need to take into account other factors like donor area, hair type.

I would think in the next decade, hair loss will advance slightly but the limited donor supply will remain the biggest issue; stem cell research may identify something in the next decade, but whether they do or not; it is likely to be extremely expensive for the first number of years; you need to plan your hair loss on the advancements at present; and not base your decisions on what might be.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

JSmyth
    It is a complicated decision as to whether you are a candidate to fill in your temple corners.
    This is one of the common consults we have and I would say that most young patients are not candidates for a hair transplant in your situation, but some are.
    The important thing is that when transplanting the temporal corners we transplant in such a way that if you lose more hair and do progress to be a Norwood 6 or 7 you have enough donor to match up what has been transplanted.
    Also it depends upon your expectations. If you have very thick full hair that needs to be matched with a transplant that may take up too much donor.
    If you just want to reinforce the temporal corners but not have the same density as behind the corners that may be doable.
    Also it depends on how far down you want the border of the frontal temporal angle to be. There are some guide lines as to how far we should move the frontal temporal angle to have a hair transplant look natural, but not use up too much donor.
    Most hair transplant clinics do free consultations both in person and over the phone. The best thing for you to do is arrange for a consult. It will take an hour of your time and you can get a lot of information
    I hope this is helpful.
    Dr. Paul
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks for the info. What was it about those younger cases that you did say YES to?

I would say my hair loss is quite minimal, however it is the front corners that are affected. It is nothing drastic, but I have a large forehead. I used to grow my bangs out a bit to hide this fact but with the corners being thin it does not work the same.

I have naturally finer hair (think david beckham type). My grandfather experienced a norwood 3/ 4 for most of my life. The crown didnt start thinning until around 65.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

The three things I look at are the location you would want your frontal temporal angle placed and if you loose more hair would it be too far forward or your potential life time donor,ou
    Would planting at a density of 35 to 40 FU give a good cosmetic effect to match with your existing hair, and can we meet your expectations. n
    These can be determined in a consultation
    Dr Paul
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile