+ Reply to Thread

Default Retransplanting transplanted hair

I am 27 with a slightly receded hairline, as in a v shape mature hairline.i want to look young as i am in my prime but we all know this hairline would look bad once we age.I was wondering that if i fix my hairline now, could transplanted hair be retransplanted from hairline to crown when i get older, so as to give me age appropriate look.Would that leave scars?If not, could i atleast get my hairline flatter while not having it lowered, would that also look bad at an older age?Thanx.

It does leave scars. It's surgery! There's no such thing as scar-free hair transplants. You get scarring in the donor area, and scarring in the recipient area (where the grafts are placed). The surgeon is basically moving small skin grafts (scalp tissue). These grafts of scalp tissue happen to have a hair follicle contained within.

If you only have slight recession now, please do yourself a favor and don't get a hair transplant yet. Surgery is a big commitment and at your early stage of hair loss, you'd be way over-reacting.

Regarding a flatter hairline now - it's not just that you might look wrong at an older age -- there's a limited amount of donor hair. When you get a "young" (low) hairline, you staked out a larger total territory that might need to be transplanted later... maybe too large of an area for your limited donor supply. So you might end up with a young hairline, but a large thinning crown, or even a bald area. Those two things (very low hairline with bald crown) can look strange together. A higher hairline will allow you more density over a smaller area with the limited donor supply you have, and will still look normal when you get older. (Sometimes younger guys say they won't care how they look when they're older - believe me, you'll care just as much as you do now).

One more thing - hairs can be moved more than once. But the survival rate goes down, every time hair is moved. So even if you did take this approach, it's kind of a waste of precious hair. And it does create scarring.

I am one of the most good looking persons in my community(not boasting) and looks are my identity.Additionally i would be marrying in around two years which means my hairline would be at its worstvat that time, and i dont want to explain further u know its prime of my age blah blah.I just dont want to live with this recession it has sucked all my confidence, how should i come to terms with it?

Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    I am one of the most good looking persons in my community(not boasting) and looks are my identity.Additionally i would be marrying in around two years which means my hairline would be at its worstvat that time, and i dont want to explain further u know its prime of my age blah blah.I just dont want to live with this recession it has sucked all my confidence, how should i come to terms with it?
    You should watch this video. There will be plenty of doctors willing to give you want you want, but the good ones will be honest with you.

Dr. Marc Dauer - Young Hair Transplant Patients Be Warned!
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...s-Be-Warned%21

Thanx for the video but i still have this notion that you could only be young once and what bothers me is when it happens before ur marriage and career , its a double trouble

Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    Thanx for the video but i still have this notion that you could only be young once and what bothers me is when it happens before ur marriage and career , its a double trouble
    You've been given all of the information to make an educated decision. That's why this forum and The Bald Truth show is invaluable. Now it's up to you to decide how you want to proceed. You might want to post some pictures to get more opinions.

yeah i understand, its just that the receding hairline has come just at the wrong time for me , as in when no one would want it, its just a mature hairline not more than that but my young looks have been compromised and so has my confidence.i wish i should have started treatments at an early age, sadly due to ongoing illness i cant take propecia , even though i am not afraid of sideeffects, i cant take it?Any other thing to fight receding hairline, because i dont want to end worst in two years time right before my marriage

In my personal opinion, it would be a horrible mistake to undergo a hair transplant with such minimal hair loss... It is going to look unusual in the future once you start to lose behind it. By getting a transplant now, you are taking huge risks my friend... you can trust me because IT HAPPENED TO ME. I was in the SAME position as you. I was slightly receding in just one temple. I got an HT there and it destroyed all my natural hair. I got a condition called telogen effluvium from it and lost nearly 50% of my hair all over my head in ONE year. I went from good looking hair to horrible diffused hair, with hair transplants sticking out of one temple...

You SHOULD not do this my friend and any ethical doctor WILL TURN YOU DOWN. I am NOT trying to scare you, but warn you from personal experience. Like yourself, I have always been a very attractive man (not saying this to boast)... but women have always liked me, and luckily they still do... but life is A LOT, LOT HARDER now. You need to rethink the way you view yourself man... You say, "you image is your identity"... if you truly mean this, this is NOT a good thing, no matter where you live, no matter what culture. I was too vain. I saw ONE little imperfection and turned it into a disfigurement. That's me. I have learned from it. DON'T DO IT.

But did ur tellogen effulium grow back finally and was ur transplant finally successful, did u lose more hair after that and were u on propecia, i would like to know more

Some of my hairs lost during TE grew back, maybe 50%... the hairs lost in the regions prone to MPB have very little chance. Those are the hairs that would have probably died off in the next 3-5 years anyway, however... it just kick started my MPB BIG TIME!! I was not on finasteride, which was definitely not a good idea. I started fin 6 months ago and, given that my rapid hair loss was mostly within the last year, I hope to see at least SOME of the hair return... BE CAREFUL.