+ Reply to Thread

Default transplanted hair, angle/direction

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on this site. Here's some background regarding my situation.
    -Nearly 3 years ago I had sugery on the temple areas as my hair had been gradually receeding for several years. After a year I noticed the transplanted hair seemed a little coarse and was difficult to style. It would stick out at an angle which would give me an "antenna" type look.
    My hair is natually curly/wavy, but the transplanted hair is not. It just grows straight out and limps down. The transplanted hair does not match the already existing hair around it. As it is at the hairline, I find it quite concerning.

I went to a well known doctor who is discussed on this, and other forums, with great regard. I won't mention his name now as I don't know if my situation is unique to me or common. I had, and still have, great confidence in the skills of this surgeon. I'm not here to bad-mouth anyone.

I've contacted his office a couple of times over the last 2 years and each time was told to just wait. That the hair would settle. Unfortunately it remains unchanged.

Another problem is, it is very easy to distinguish between my natural forelock and the transplanted hair on either side. This is due to the issue I covered already, as well as the transplanted hair doesn't really look nearly as dense as the already existing hair. The lack of curl and angle of the follicles exacerbate this problem.

I'm wondering if these are common issues? Can they be corrected? Any help and advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks

Zander

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I would not say this is common, but we do see this on occation. It happens more often in patients that have a coarse hair. One possible way to help your situation would be to add more grafts to the area in question. This may decrease the visibility between the previously transplanted hairs and help them to blend in with the native hairs. It would be very important that if you have another procedure that great care is taken with regards to the angle and direction of the newly placed follicular unit grafts.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile