+ Reply to Thread

Default Long-term FUE results

Hello, I am considering using FUE in the future, and really like the pictures of post-op results I see. I would like to hear testimonies from people who have had FUE, but with a few years hindsight if possible, to know what I have to expect.

About me: 38, NW3, shedding hair for a long time but at quite a slow pace.

I spent $36,000 on FUE procedures in 2005, and none of my grafts grew. Just because a doctor does FUE, there's no guarantee they know what they're doing. So there's that.

Since you're specifically asking about LONG TERM results, you should know there's no guarantee that your donor supply is permanent hair. Doctors will not tell you this up front, but donor hair can thin out due to male pattern baldness, or even just ordinary aging. Look at the donor area on older people... a high percentage of older guys don't have the same donor density they had when they were younger. So there's a risk that your transplanted hairs won't actually be permanent.

Anybody who disagrees with this fact, or feels like it's not a real risk, should ask their doctor for a written guarantee that their donor hair is permanent. See if your doctor will put it in writing. If loss of "permanent" donor hair isn't a real issue, then the doctor should be able to guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by arfy View Post
    I spent $36,000 on FUE procedures in 2005, and none of my grafts grew. Just because a doctor does FUE, there's no guarantee they know what they're doing. So there's that.

Since you're specifically asking about LONG TERM results, you should know there's no guarantee that your donor supply is permanent hair. Doctors will not tell you this up front, but donor hair can thin out due to male pattern baldness, or even just ordinary aging. Look at the donor area on older people... a high percentage of older guys don't have the same donor density they had when they were younger. So there's a risk that your transplanted hairs won't actually be permanent.

Anybody who disagrees with this fact, or feels like it's not a real risk, should ask their doctor for a written guarantee that their donor hair is permanent. See if your doctor will put it in writing. If loss of "permanent" donor hair isn't a real issue, then the doctor should be able to guarantee it.
    Well that can be true about FUT HT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chongmet View Post
    Well that can be true about FUT HT as well.
    It is true regardless of procedure performed. The theory of donor dominance states that there are hairs genetically resistant to the effects of DHT thus is why we have the term "permanent safe zone". This is a fallacy however for a couple of reasons. Some peope do have hair in the donor zone that is not resistant to DHT and this is what Arfy is referring to as some people age. It is very VERY rare to see a majority of donor hair being DHT susceptible but even on a moderate level it can be a game changer. The other reason it may appear that the density is reduced is an illusion due to senile alopecia where the hairs are miniaturized by not because of DHT. The hair shaft simply narrows but the density remains the same so the finer nature of the hair makes it appear as if there is less. Regardless, they both have a visible detriment for the donor zone.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Thanks for your replies everyone. My objective would be to enjoy a fuller head of hair while I still have a bit of youth in me, and although I can't be sure how long the hair that is in the typical "donor" area will last, at the current rate I'd expect between 10 to 20 years before I see a bald spot.

I live in the UK and consider consulting Dr. Thomy Kouremada-Zioga at the Private Clinic. She developed and performs UFUE (Unshaven FUE).

One thing that bothers me though is that I'm prone to folliculitis, and I don't know how much that would affect my grafted & donor areas. Quite high scalp seborrhea too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    It is true regardless of procedure performed. The theory of donor dominance states that there are hairs genetically resistant to the effects of DHT thus is why we have the term "permanent safe zone". This is a fallacy however for a couple of reasons. Some peope do have hair in the donor zone that is not resistant to DHT and this is what Arfy is referring to as some people age. It is very VERY rare to see a majority of donor hair being DHT susceptible but even on a moderate level it can be a game changer. The other reason it may appear that the density is reduced is an illusion due to senile alopecia where the hairs are miniaturized by not because of DHT. The hair shaft simply narrows but the density remains the same so the finer nature of the hair makes it appear as if there is less. Regardless, they both have a visible detriment for the donor zone.
    Joe pretty much every individual will have to deal with a decrease of diameter in hair when one gets older which also (obviously) affects the donor area(1). Senescent alopecia is typically characterized by diffuse hair loss and can hit as early as 40-50 years old. So it can definitely lead to a lower density which is unrelated to the pathology of androgenetic alopecia in the donor area.

All in all the donor hair can indeed deteriorate.

1. http://www.pgscience.com/files/pdf/D...ins_Dawson.pdf