+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FUEing to Scar

Default FUEing to Scar

I have previously had 2 small hair transplants, and am now ready to cover up the scar and move on with my life. I'd also eventually like to get rid of the transplanted hair on top.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding FUE into scar, but not a lot of great results. Does it really work?

Who are the best docs to consider for FUE into scar? Dr. Jones has a paitent with decent results on this forum, but he has a bad reputation. I am thinking of going to see him, but some comments are making me think twice. Umar, Feller, and Cole all seems to have decent reps when it comes to this as well. Anyone else in Canada?

I'd prefer to avoid using scalp hair, and I've heard beard hair is the best for going that route. Is chest or nape hair a good option?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

While I generally prefer to start with a scar excision, we do offer FUE into scars. I'll post a case next week of a black man that we did a very difficult scar revision on over a year ago, and on whom we did 130 graft FUE into 2 wider areas that remained.

Some scars, in my opinion, are just too tough to plant in. I don't think there is any potential for graft support in rubbery scar tissue, but I can't support that scientifically. For softer scars, I think its a reasonable choice. We only offer scalp hair FUE.

Good luck to you.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I still think the larger isuue with grafting into scar tissue is the blood flow and survival of the graft. Obviously thay are not all going to make it because of these variations. Each case has it's own unique circumstances including how the scar forms in the healing process and how tough it is for the grafts to subsequently grow through it.

I trust you were at the least able to get some digital quality well lighted pics to the docs you are considering although a physical exam is most desirable before you comitt to anything.

I would not immediately divert to the use of BH to fill in your donor scar. Use what will have the best regrowth chances. The reason some are suggesting the use of facial (beard) grafts is because the degree of coarsness in facial hair is extremely high for most patients. You'll see that on your own situation. It just does not have the clinical history of being utilized as a primary donor source so there is litlle yield data if any on it. But that's exactly whay you don't want to consder it right now IMHO. No long term history on facial donor.

IMHO, you also want to stay away from using chest donor unless the other sources fail. Please remember these are drawn from my own convictions and conclusions based on my literal observance and notes taken over time on hundreds and hundreds of what I call non-traditional FUE donor souces and corresponding yields. They are observations, nothing more.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2083

I just posted 8 week pics of FUE into this man's scar as an example. He says he's stopped using dermablend entirely and I think he looks good, despite a slightly longer hair length.

FYI, I put the pics up yesterday but apparently they are still being added by the moderator if you have trouble seeing them

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile