Threaded View

This is an interesting discussion we've got going here. I can see everyone's points to a certain agree, although I do not agree with the simple "confidence" part. Confidence needs to stem from something, a person cannot simply be confident for no reason. And in today's increasingly aesthetic society, a person's outer looks are going to matter first and foremost, and will always be the primary factor. Of course, inner qualities will matter once a relationship progresses, but outer looks are what "gets you in the door" and causes that initial attraction that ultimately leads to a relationship. And having a full head of hair is just so integral to a person's outer appearance, a completely difference-maker. Also, a woman's need for physical attraction to her mate never goes away and I guess that is why that woman (no matter how much of an idiot she is) on that loveshack site that Fred linked is starting to look elsewhere. And quite honestly, I would feel terribly awkward if I was in a relationship with a woman who liked me for my kindness and generosity but was not attracted to me physically.

All of this kind of contributes to my dilemma as well. I've been a muscular weight-lifter for a long time and on paper, I'd be the ideal guy who could pull off the shaved head/bad-ass look. But I just cannot bring myself to do it. Despite my size, I am not the most self-assured guy and although I am already depressed due to hair loss, I feel that shaving my head would magnify my depression tenfold.

James, you are right though. Although outer looks really are the primary determining factor, other things do matter. I used to be on a dating website and one girl on there mentioned that she wanted a "bad boy with a good heart". I really feel like that describes me to a T. Although I look intimidating due to my size, and I love rocking out at my metal shows with my long hair, I still always took pride in performing kind gestures for women, showing them my sensitive side, and treating them with kindness and respect. But still, those are all really complementary and secondary things though. Outer looks are still first and foremost. Sometimes I try and convince myself that even if I do shave my head, that I can still get women through my size and muscles. Women do like that sense of security of being with a guy that can protect them, I've had several tell me that in the past but I just cannot bring myself to do it.
    Yet I just cannot bring myself to do it, due to some the points I have alluded to in this post.

Lastly, with all due respect, is your hair really that bad, James? I've seen cases of people who have had premature hair transplants yet they still retain a ton of hair.
    Last edited by DepressedByHairLoss; 09-21-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: grammar