+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Formation of hair follicle using 3D biomimetic nanofibers constructs

Seyed Babak Mahjour and Hongjun Wang

these two researchers will be presenting this technology at the '4th International Conference and Exhibition on Materials Science & Engineering '
    September 14-16, 2015 Florida

Title: Formation of hair follicle using 3D biomimetic nanofibers constructs.

Here is a patent of 2012 from this two researchers:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US20120276154
    'Creation of hair follicles in tissue-engineered skin grafts '

'The skin graft has dermal and epidermal layers and provides a biomimetic environment to promote healing and hair growth.
    Further, a proto hair structure 82 can be observed, having a round end 84 that has the appearance of a DP aggregate. FIG. 18 is an enlarged view of the proto hair of FIG. 17, showing a partially keratinized proto hair shaft 86, similar to a hair follicle. This result shows that DP aggregates can develop into hair follicle-like structures in skin grafts.

The skin graft and method of its making are also cost-effective, in that the average cost for hair transplantation under current practices (April 2012) can be in the range of from $2,500 to $9,000 for a 5×5 cm skin graft and individual hair implantation costs of $3 to $8. In contrast, the expected cost of transplanting a 5×5 cm skin graft of the present invention, which includes hair follicles grown in the graft, would be less than about $1,000.

Here is a little pdf from them that explain their work in 2013:
    https://www.stevens.edu/provost/site...Structures.pdf

"Biomimetic nanofiber enabled layer-by-layer assembly for creation of proto-hair structures"

This study was aimed to explore the possibility of
    regenerating hair follicles in healed wounds by incorporating hair
    follicle-like structures in TESGs. A novel and highly controllable
    layering approach was developed to include pre-cultured dermal
    papillae cell aggregates into the skin grafts

method:Hair follicle cells were isolated from rat and cultured in hanging
    droplets to form aggregates. These aggregates were then included
    between layers of the assembled 3D cell/nanofiber constructs with
    dermal fibroblasts and epidermal keratinocytes. The resulting constructs
    were cultured for up to 14 days.

showing L-b-L cell assembly and proto hair formation
    showing hair shaft production in vivo on week 5

Conclusion

1. With the “layer-by-layer” assembly approach, skin grafts could be
    rapidly fabricated within 7 days at a low cost.
    2. Engineered skin grafts showed structural complexity with the presence
    of dermal and epidermal compartments and proto hairs and mechanical
    strength similar to the native skin
    3. These biomimetic tissue-engineered skin grafts have the potential for
    treating deep wounds and serving as a suitable in vitro testing model for
    cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry.
    4. The ability to develop discrete architecture with multiple cell types and
    proto-hair follicles in tissue-engineered skin grafts.
    5. The layer-by-layer cell assembly technique, as a whole, was effective in
    producing a follicle-containing constructs, allowing the hair formation in
    vivo.

Nobody is in Florida in september? ^^
    Those guys talk about a possible hair transplant solution in their patent so they don't forget us! The whole thing is more for burns victims at a first view( as us army and Toronto team), but in 2012 they were already showing formation of proto hair follicles, now they presenting their method in conferences, so in 3 years they surely enhanced the protocol and could have a great thing in their hand to test in clinical trial

You always find the best stuff!

I can second that luiza. But lacazette I haven't gone over it yet but it says in mice? We all know that teams like lauster could grow mice hair but it was always a problem with human hair.

yes jay, but they don't use the same method/Tools. So maybe this one with nanofibers constructs is more clinically applicable (in fact they are working for burns victims treatment, so I think it is)

cause for exemple when I emailed Dr Lauster 7 months ago, he answered me that they didn't have the authorization for the moment to test it on human !! And then they would need some millions of euros to make this treatment become reality ( but that's not a problem once they can show it work on human)
    He also said that he really believe in the possible effectiveness of such treatment

So maybe germany's laws are too strict, or maybe Lauster's team have to enhanced the protocol for human use.

Us army are trying in clinical trial their method for burned soldiers, so maybe these two guys I posted with nanotechnology stuff could also test on human

Yeh hopefully you are right I wonder how close these guys are to trying it with human cells. I couldn't find any information to contact them apart from numbers, but I'm not doing international calls :'). But even just having a machine being able to print so cheaply is a good sign - Means who ever cracks it will be able to produce it cheaper than a HT.

Yeah I Wonder too, as they talk about a possible hair solution with their method. And it's interesting cause it's not exactly the same technique as Us army or Toronto team bioprinting

Here is one of their last publication in 2015, they actually use human cells now ( yes to treat burns mouses but from human skin cells, and it works

“Rapid creation of skin substitutes from human skin cells and biomimetic nanofibers for acute full-thickness wound repair”, Burns 2015, Epub

So us army already enter human trial, so maybe the next step for this team could be human testing too. Let's hope they still think about us and hair loss

Here is mail of dr wang maybe we can get info:

Hongjun.Wang@stevens.edu

Or maybe by their lab : https://web.stevens.edu/wanglab/Contact1.html

I believe that US army project will be first to cure us, as they wouldn't have any financial problem like abovementioned dr Lauster. Lacazette, you said, that they are already testing it on human subjects? Thus it's not so far away as I thought before.

I am gonna email them tonight. We should all do that to show them interest and also have better chances of getting any response.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieux View Post
    I believe that US army project will be first to cure us, as they wouldn't have any financial problem like abovementioned dr Lauster. Lacazette, you said, that they are already testing it on human subjects? Thus it's not so far away as I thought before.
    I think he meant grafting human tissue into immune deficient mice.

Sure luiza. But don't expect a reply soon as it's the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Arieux View Post
    Yes but it is 3D skin graft that they test on humans subjects for burns soldiers. But at least we will know soon if their fully fonctionnal hair follicle work

Thomas Darling answered me that they are really excited about their achievement, and that they are planning also for a hair solution for civil use with their discovery, but he 'suspect it will take a few more years' before it become available, to perfect the protocol for a hair therapy

their functionnal hair follicle is sufficient for skin, but in our case we need unlimited HF that turn to terminal hair, so i think it's normal that they need to work more in this area to get a simple and perfect protocol , clinically applicable for us

@Thks Luiza, I'll too email them. As 3D skin for burns is already backed by us army , maybe those researchers from Wang lab could concentrate more about a hair solution hehe^^ The fact that they talked about hair transplant, hair solution in their patent mean that they already have that in their mind since 2012. But we need them to test it on humans as usual