+ Reply to Thread

Default I'm about to give up on my hair completely

I know I should be thankful that I have hair, but these last few years have been a struggle for me. My hair is thin, sparse and I have a long forehead with a strong widow's peak. I also have this pronounced ridge that goes around my skull making hair on the sides poof out. In short, I have pretty awful hair.

I've tried product to make my thicker, but because my hair is so thin and long in this state, it ends up just looking gross.

I was hoping someone could suggest what I do with it. Is it time to give up and just shave it all off with some dignity? Or is there some product or style that would help? Any suggestions welcome!

If I was you I would buzz it. Your head shape would suit it perfect imo. Not sure what you mean about "pronounced ridge" though. From the pics it just looks like your hair is filled out from not cutting it. I think if you buzz it it would look good or better. What does it look like from the back though? My prob is diffuse thinness in the vertex., and developing bald sspot. It sucks.

I also think you could pull off the buzz (shaved hair) look, although your hair doesn't look that bad.

Inactive

Have you looked into Finasteride, Rogaine, and/or Hair Transplants? And how old are you, btw?

You seem like you would be a good candidate for a HT. You seem to have a good donor supply, and redistributing some of the grafts to the hairline to better shape your face could do wonders for you. It's worth looking into. I was expecting a lot worse when I clicked on the thread, to be honest.

The Finasteride/Rogaine could also help slow down your loss considerably, and possibly regrow some of your hair in the process.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Get on fin and shave it. You can try the bald life for a year... If after a year you come to the conclusion that it sucks balls you can get a transplant if your hair loss has stabilised. If you're still ok with being bald after a year, drop fin and move on. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzorspikeorwhat View Post
    If I was you I would buzz it. Your head shape would suit it perfect imo. Not sure what you mean about "pronounced ridge" though. From the pics it just looks like your hair is filled out from not cutting it. I think if you buzz it it would look good or better. What does it look like from the back though? My prob is diffuse thinness in the vertex., and developing bald sspot. It sucks.
    The back is a little bit more thin then the rest, but not noticeable unless there's a lot of light. As for the ridge, if you look at the first pic you can see my hair has sharp angle where it slopes from the top to the sides, that's the ridge.

Have you looked into Finasteride, Rogaine, and/or Hair Transplants? And how old are you, btw?
    I'm 30. I've looked into all those and the side effects just aren't worth it to me. Still waiting for that miracle cure.

I also think you could pull off the buzz (shaved hair) look, although your hair doesn't look that bad.
    Thanks! I'm definitely considering the shave look from what everyone has been saying.

When you have a week or 2 off for vacation , buzz it .
    You can see how you look and feel with a buzzcut and if you don't like it , it will grow back in a couple of weeks and then you can re assess. But Id go with the buzzcut , you might find it very liberating

Inactive

I agree with Dave that you should just bite the bullet and give it a buzz. It could be quite liberating, and worst case, it'll grow back in no time and you can reevaluate what you wanna do then.

I wouldn't be so dead set against any of the other options though. Finasteride/Rogaine/Hair Transplants are really the only proven, viable options. Granted, they're not for everyone so it's absolutely understandable if you don't believe any of those things are for you. I just wouldn't write off the medication solely based on the fear of the side effects. I personally believe they're overblown and often, the sexual side effects are even self-induced. Our minds are very powerful, and the placebo studies prove that often just the mere suggestion that our equipment will stop working is enough to make it actually stop working. You could always try it in very small dosages and see how it works for you.

Regardless, buzz it first. Best case scenario, you love the way it looks and how you feel and you won't even have to worry about any of it ever again.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.