+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When is it appropriate to switch from finasteride to dutasteride?

Diffuse thinning - pronounced at crown.
    Been on finasteride (and Rogaine) for 2 years.
    Still slowly thinning. (Guessing the finasteride has slowed it, though.)
    But the hairloss has not actually been halted (or reversed).

So I'm wondering if and when it's a good strategy to upgrade to dutasteride?

Thanks.

2 years is when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by allTheGoodNamesAreTaken View Post
    2 years is when I did it.
    How long ago was that? Why did you switch? Noticeable results due to the switch?

I carried on losing hair on finasteride (brand name propecia, not generic). I'd say it has carried on at roughly the same rate after I've switched to dutasteride (proper avodart) but it's hard to say. I'm 27, first noticed the very beginnings of a little bit of frontal recession at 21, started propecia at just before 23 once I could afford it. Switched to dutasteride at 25. Always purchased from pharmacydirectgb. I'm a thin NW2 now but the further back on the top of my head you go, the thicker it gets. My dad was fully bald on top by my age so this DHT reduction has probably slowed things down significantly, just hasn't stopped it. When I did switch I think I had a shed for a few months, there was definitely a period where I was losing more hair and I've been back to normal since then. I've never been a major shedder though. Oh, during most of the time I've been on dutasteride, I've also used Regenepure DR (the gentle shampoo with the ketoconazole in it), about 2-2.5 times a week roughly (leaving it on for a good ten minutes at least to soak in) and still slowly continued to lose hair. I stopped that a few months ago and have noticed no difference.

Did it after two years as well, I've been on DUT for about 9 months now.

it's a slow loss still, but the benefit is after the initial run-through of switching over, once it gets in your system you really only need to take it 1-2 times a week at most to keep it in your system.

Fin would stay in my system for 2-3 days, DUT stays for about 21 days at the same level as day one.

It's definitely stronger, but my hair is very slowly still going, can't imagine what it would be like without this stuff. Luckily we may have some new products within a few years so I can possibly get off this stuff once and for all because it definitely changes your system!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    I think it is best to wait 1-2 years on finasteride and when the effects wear off and/or if it never had any effect then you can consider increasing the dose then moving on to duasteride. Overall, it should still be done under physician guidance.
    Hey Dr. Rashid,

At one ear on finasteride I had a large shed, with burning pains/ bruised feeling on my hairline. Do ou think finasteride wore off and I should have switched to dutasteride?

I switched after 1 year on fin, been on dut for a little over 3 months now. I'm young and it wasn't stopping my loss so I figured i'd give it a shot before throwing in the towel

as a side note, how is it possible for dut to not work for someone? it blocks out so much dht that it does not seem to make sense

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    it's a slow loss still, but the benefit is after the initial run-through of switching over, once it gets in your system you really only need to take it 1-2 times a week at most to keep it in your system.
    is this true? If i have been on dut for 3 months, does that mean that I can down my dose to a few times a week without loosing any efficacy? This would be a $ saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    how is it possible for dut to not work for someone? it blocks out so much dht that it does not seem to make sense
    besides the how much of the dht they reduce (by blocking the 5aR enzyme), fin and dut work with different strength on different variants of the 5aR enzyme - hence some people with a certain variant may benefit more from fin while others may benefit more from dut.

see the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15956333

Anyone got any positive stories to tell from switching ?