+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why does Minoxidil get a bad rap on here?

I'm not saying everyone, but it seems as if most on this site don't really like Rogaine and all that. I'm just curious as to why.

I was taking Propecia for approximately 3 weeks and I just couldn't get over the horror stories...

Forums like "Propecia Help" and other things of that nature just scared me, so I decided to stop the Propecia. I'd rather not take any chances at all, even if many on here say Propecia is harmless and works great.

So I started using Rogaine Foam. It's been about 2 weeks or 3 now and I'm taking Biotin and Selenium.. also using Nizoral...

I'm just wondering why people on here don't like it? Is there something I'm missing? I have short hair so it doesn't style messy, you can't really tell because I buzz my hair with a #3 and it's already relatively short...

Are there other reasons? It doesn't irritate me at all or make me itch. I guess the Nizroal is worknig because I have far less dandruff now than I did before any of this.... if any dandruff at all. I used to be dandruff free... and I'm back to how I was back then now with literally none I can see.

If somehow Rogaine Foam helps regrow even a little on my hairline... and keeps the hair I have on my head for even the next 3 years I'll be super duper happy.... by then I can just get an HT or even whatever next-gen hair system comes out.

So what's wrong with Rogaine Foam?

Also i want to know how people feel about effectiveness...

I've always heard Propecia is more effective than minoxidil but by how much?

I've seen some sites saying Rogaine Foam is just as effective as propecia... and more effective on the hairline... which is where im going bad.

it all seems relative... i dont know who or what to believe right now

Thumbs up

I'm thinking the same as you do about minoxidil. I've been using it for about three months and you already can see some little improvement and I'm losing way less hair everyday since i'm using it. No itchy scalp, redness, puffy face, or other things that have been reported on some hairloss forums. I added Nizoral to my regimen too, my dandruff is now gone.

I really can't understand how can people immediatly jump on propecia without thinking more seriously about what they're doing, they don't seem to realise the risk they're taking. You only have to take a look at the propeciahelp.com website. From what I've read, some had just taken the drug for only one week and that was it, they had lost their libido, and this side sometimes seems to be permanent. And still, there are plenty of people to say that it's all in their head and that this drug is sooo safe. "come on, at least give it a try" pfff...

Well I guess that said, a lot of people will come and say: "I've been taking propecia for more than 10 years and I never ever experienced any side effect blablabla..."

Fred, may be you should wait for a longer time before making a judgement about Minoxidil, minoxidil does help in a way, but not for a long time and not too effective either. Also different ppl experience differet result with Minoxidil so you cant really compare.

the side effect from Propecia is not permanent and the half life of the pill is only two weeks, but u r making it sounds really serious. (as u said it "seems" permanent, may be you can do more study on it) ask a doctor or expert instead of jus reading it from website, bcos sometimes they tend to be a bit exaggerated and misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by aiyosh View Post
    Fred, may be you should wait for a longer time before making a judgement about Minoxidil, minoxidil does help in a way, but not for a long time and not too effective either. Also different ppl experience differet result with Minoxidil so you cant really compare.

the side effect from Propecia is not permanent and the half life of the pill is only two weeks, but u r making it sounds really serious. (as u said it "seems" permanent, may be you can do more study on it) ask a doctor or expert instead of jus reading it from website, bcos sometimes they tend to be a bit exaggerated and misleading.
    You know, I understand there are most definitely circumstances where the propecia sides are exaggerated. I'm certain a lot of cases are... maybe even more than the guys that have no side effects at all...

...but the thing is, there are whole forums dedicated to people with problems. A decent amount of posters are reoccurring... not just once post.. this shows dedication to the problem. Some have upwards of 1000 posts.... and there is a decent number of guys like this with stories. At some ponit I had to think that with such a large number and so many forums there has to be SOME truth to the propecia side effects thing.

I don't doubt some corporations or businesses or even a person would get online and try to make up fake things to slander another business... but it really got to the point where it seems like the possibility that these are all someone who has personal gain from posting bad stuff about propecia side effects seems silly. Even then if a couple hundred people are talking about crazy side effects... I'm going to believe that at least a few are legit. It just doesn't seem right.... I mean there isn't a huge forum for the hairmax lasercomb being fake even though the verdict is pretty much out that it is... and propecia has huge forums on it's sides.

Now, I'm not saying propecia is bad... by all means if there is no sides and it works for many on here thats ****ing awesome! But I'm personally too scared to mess with it. I could be hunky dorey... and grow hair back with it but it's not worth even the slight risk to me. I'd rather go bald and wait for some new state of the art hair thing in the coming years (let's hope!)

anyhow, I'm settling with Rogaine, Biotin, Selenium and Nizoral for now. Eventually probably get an HT and I buzz my hair shorter. I'm not seeing much from the Rogaine yet but I haven't been taking it for long. It feels like when I run my hand through my hair a I see a lot less hair... I'm just going to keep it up to see where it goes...

But I did remember reading it was just as effective as propecia (in foam form) and that it was relatively effective on the hairline. The only drawback at this point seems to be it is hard to style if you have long hair or that you get a dependency on it... which at this point it's like... regardless if I didn't use it I'd lose my hair.... same with propecia..

So what's wrong with it?

So I guess that means most of the criticism was unwarranted or for small reasons?

I'm actually noticing a difference already after using it on my hairline. Hope this lasts...

Hey Phatalis, How long did the initial shedding phase last when first starting out on rogaine, and how severe was it for you? I just started rogaine 2 weeks ago and am in the shedding phase now..

I use minox on my hairline, I was shedding for a good 2 months, possibly more. It was kinda scary seeing tons of hair on my hands when I washed me hair. But now I'll see 4 or 5 hairs on a bad day, and my thinning areas are no longer thin.

I do have more dandruff cause of minox though. But it's a fair trade off. You can clean you head, you can't just make hair appear =P

To be honest; I don't know. I've been using it for maybe 3 weeks to a month now...

...I haven't noticed significant shedding.. I guess I did notice it for a week or so maybe... I didn't really notice much.

I put it on once a day and in the beginning twice... I'm kinda lenient on it I guess... I put more than half a capful on once a day... I'm probably going to go back to putting it on twice.. umm..

I notice shedding like I said for a week but maybe I haven't started yet.. I think I did but it was so minor I don't honestly know.. its odd.

All i know is I can see a slight difference in the hairline right now.. my gf notices it too... so I hope after more time it'll fill in better. My hair seems slightly thicker but I definitely notice that I have less hairs on my hand after I run them through.. and that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Layercake View Post
    I use minox on my hairline, I was shedding for a good 2 months, possibly more. It was kinda scary seeing tons of hair on my hands when I washed me hair. But now I'll see 4 or 5 hairs on a bad day, and my thinning areas are no longer thin.

I do have more dandruff cause of minox though. But it's a fair trade off. You can clean you head, you can't just make hair appear =P
    Yeah dude the weird thing is is that I don't really get any dandruff with the nizoral. I had more dandruff before going on rogaine and niz... I even used head and shoulders and had more dandruff still...

I don't know what did it.. if it was niz or rogaine or both.. but I'm basically dandruff free now. it was actually pretty bad prior to this too.

I hope in a few more months it fills in even more...I do it every morning after my shower...

I just hope it doesn't all the sudden stop worknig or.. I dunno.. but as of right now its pretty cool and hassle free really. plus I have short hair.. so it's a sinch..

3 month supply for like 49 or something like that at walmart.