+ Reply to Thread

Default How long to ride stay on Fin while shedding?

Hi guys,

I'm 23, and I've been on Finasteride for 6 months now (started out with small doses, but I've been up to 1mg/day for 3+ months now).

I've also been shedding dramatically for 3+ months. Unbearable amounts of hair in the shower, hair falling out on my desk at work, etc. Hairline is looking worse and hair is getting thinner.

It really feels like finasteride caused this shed, given the timing of it, but I don't want to stop taking it because I know that finasteride can cause a shed and regrow hair. But if the shed lasts for much longer, how long should I stay on finasteride before quitting it?

Thanks for your help!

Hey man, if you are shedding loads, but your scalp feels ok (not stinging, burning, etc..) then you might want to ride it out. I've seen a lot where a fin shed lasts about four months. You have to be able to tell the difference between a normal shed from body adjustment or reflex to the drug causing problems.

Do you have any other unusual things you e noticed?

Thanks for the quick reply Ziggy! I feel fine otherwise, except pretty bummed about my hair falling out. No scalp pain at all...possibly slightly lower sex drive but nothing alarming. I'll stick with it for at least a few more months. I would hate to stop now if this means the drug really is working as it should.

Definitely give it a couple more months. Sometimes it takes a bit to get the full results so you don't want to stop now and risk missing out on something that could potentially help out a lot. I don't know much about what you're using though.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbutcool View Post
    Definitely give it a couple more months. Sometimes it takes a bit to get the full results so you don't want to stop now and risk missing out on something that could potentially help out a lot. I don't know much about what you're using though.
    Definitely, it's tough to watch all my hair go down the drain and cover my hands while styling it, but I'll stick it out. My doctor told me to up my dosage from 1mg Fin per day to 2mg Fin per day if the shedding continues, but from what I've read here, that doesn't sound like it would help. Any thoughts?