+ Reply to Thread

Default Blading since 16, 18 now and I've decided to shave, how should I go about it?

I hate looking at myself in the mirror, going to the stores, seeing my reflection, when I'm in photos, it disgusts me. I tried taking Riogaine but that just made things worse and I don't want to do surgery and up needing to go back every couple years to be left with scars on my head. So I think the best course of action is to shave but I'm not sure how to go about it; should I simply go for a clean cut or possibly a really short buzz cut (0.5)? I have an oval face but I'm not exactly super fit or anything to pull off the body builder masculine look and with school exams coming up in the next 3 months I don't have time to hit the gym although I will be when I start university.
    I was wondering if you guys could tell me what it was like when you shaved, did people treat you differently, did you have any trouble? My self confidence is pretty much non existent now and I'm just trying to do well at school but I feel like I need to do something before starting fresh in college. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What's up man? Been shaving for almost 2 years now, and while it's not my number one choice for a hair cut, I have to admit I like it TONS better than my shi**y hair I had on my head two years ago. I was depressed, angry, jealous of others, just not a good lifestyle. Since I shaved I don't see hair falling out in front of me, I don't have to make sure it's combed just right (which still looked bad), I can just be who I am again. I started just buzzing it with no guard on my clippers and slowly got into wet shaving. I'd suggest the same for you. I will say, the first time you wet shave, it feels very weird putting a shirt on lol. 98% of reactions I got have either been positive or neutral. I've had a couple that bothered me a little but then I thought "who really gives a fu*k what you think anyway?".... Hope this helps out. Don't worry about reactions, they really don't matter. All that counts is that you're happier.

You should totally go for it. I've been shaving mine slick, every other day, for a month now. 90% of reactions have been really positive. I've had a few people make smart ass comments like "did you lose a bet", but not many. I just shrug them off and say yeah, with mother nature. The best part was when I finally did it, I felt like a huge weight was off of my shoulders. I didn't have to worry about if my bald spot was shining in the sun or if the wind had blown my hair out of its strategic location.

I'd recommend going no guard first and then shaving with a razor and an alcohol free shave gel. Get the water real hot to soften up the stubble and go with the grain to minimize pulling. After use an alcohol free after shave, I use Nivea for sensitive skin. Before I go outside I put a face lotion with SPF 15 on. I say alcohol free because stuff with alcohol can really dry out your scalp and make it really itchy. Sort of like rogaine does. This may seem like a lot of work, but once you get in the routine its less than 10 minutes total. For more information and support check to slybaldguys.com. Its a message board for those of us who have decided to live the bald life.