+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need a Doctor for FUT or FUE in Albany, NY area. Any recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm considering an FUT or FUE. Any recommendations for doctors in the Albany, NY area. Also, if someone could provide a link from a previous post or other that has a list of questions for a consultation with a doctor that would be great! I have a good idea of questions to ask, but I want to be well prepared. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	41113

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871.jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	41114

You look like a very poor candidate for a HT. The reasons for that are fairly obvious in your pictures.

Ouch! Too much hair loss and/or the fact that what I have left is blonde? I won't wear a hair piece; no offense to the other members. From what I read Fin won't do me much good with the amount of hair loss I have. Any other options?

You may as well try fin because you could gain some hair, certainly in the crown. No other options. You could think about maybe scalp micropigmentation - Which you can just search on here and you will know if it's for you or not. Also you always have the option of an fue if you want to keep your hair short because it could certainly frame your face, again just search the forum properly and you can make a good decision

dontwanttobebald,

While I agree that your case does not look to be a strong one it is also dependent on your donor hair and your expectations. To get a true idea of what your options are you should consult an IAHRS listed doctor in the New York area. With your degree of loss and the fact you have a very short cut buzz look it may be an option to consider tricopigmentation. SMPLooks in NYC is a great option to consider. Remember, hair restoration is governed by simple supply & demand rules. If you don't have the supply to meet the demand then it just won't work.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    dontwanttobebald,

While I agree that your case does not look to be a strong one it is also dependent on your donor hair and your expectations. To get a true idea of what your options are you should consult an IAHRS listed doctor in the New York area. With your degree of loss and the fact you have a very short cut buzz look it may be an option to consider tricopigmentation. SMPLooks in NYC is a great option to consider. Remember, hair restoration is governed by simple supply & demand rules. If you don't have the supply to meet the demand then it just won't work.
    Thanks Jay and Joe! I have been using Rogaine 5% Minoxidil foam 1/2 cap 2x a day on my crown for 5 years. It seems to be help maintaining what hair I have. Obviously Fin will not be covered by insurance. Can someone provide links on where to purchase and a ballpark amount for a monthly supply? I have seen several pics of before and after SMP patients. The results look really good. I would definitely considered it if I'm a candidate.

Also, I my research to body hair transplant to the scalp has led to many dead ends. Is this surgery still in its developmental stages?

Thanks Much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg

Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	41146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg

Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	41147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg

Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	41148  

Thank you for the additional photos. Unless you are having some accidents shaving your head yourself it looks like you have diffused donor loss as well. I see minor patches of lower density among the areas of higher density. Your hair is also short enough to where the length can cause assessments to be more diffcult so I would suggest growing your hair for about a week or so and take new photos. Body hair is always going to give you a lower yield compared to scalp donor hair so depending on the area of the body you'll probably see anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 the final yield compared to scalp hair. Beard hair is higher yielding, chest hair behind beard hair and so on. The best way to get finasteride is to buy Proscar, the original version of finasteride made by Merck, the same makers of Propecia. The pill is 5mg so you can cut the pill into quarters. Because Proscar and Propecia cost roughly the same for 30 tablets you are effectively reducing your cost by about 75%. If you get your supply in Canada you're looking at about 80 bucks for 30 tablets, which equals 20 bucks a month when you cut into quarters. In NY the cost is probably higher but still manageable. Avoid generics if you can due to inconsistency in the efficacy.
    Joe Tillman

Hey Joe,

I normally use clippers about 2 or 3 days a week. The blades are dull, so that would explain the uneven areas. I clipped my hair on 8/20 and the pics I posted last were taken on 8/21. I let it grow for a week like you suggested. I took more pics on 8/27 and attached them to this post. Do you have links to purchase Proscar?

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg

Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	41272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg

Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	41273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	41274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg

Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	41275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	41276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg

Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	41277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg

Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	41278  

Hello Dr. Karadeniz,

Thanks for honest assessment. I'm already using Rogaine 5% Minoxidil foam 1/2 cap 2x a day on my crown for 5 years. It seems to be at least preventing further hair loss on the crown. I would be interested in using finasteride in conjunction with the Rogaine for a year and being re-evaluated at that time.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the photos. I have to agree with Dr. K. Surgically, you just don't appear to have the cards for a winning hand but combining medical therapies, minox and finasteride, do tend to have a stronger effect compared to one or the other independently so if you wish to really push this as far as you can to make your final decision then take a year with this regiment.

The option for you for some sort of restoration is to consider the shaved effect SMP. In that circumstance I would recommend SMPLooks in New York, just outside of the city. They'll give you an honest assessment, take some high quality photos and help you decide what is best for you. If they don't feel you are a good candidate for SMP they'll tell you. I know the owner, Erik, and he's about as honest as they come.
    Joe Tillman