+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 and going bald, options?

Ok so I have a receding hairline to NW2/3 and my hair on top is much thinner and 'whispier' than my hair on the back and sides. My hair on the back and sides seems great. Both sides of my family are densely populated with men suffering from severe baldness, and I'm at NW2/3 at 19 years old, so you can imagine which way I'm heading.

I have scoured the internet for weeks, and have looked into almost every possible solution both short term and long term. I am lucky in the sense that financially I can afford to have as many treatments as required.

Short term I think I may start on Finasteride and regain, see how that goes. Long term I am open to suggestions. I would consider any form of hair transplant at any age, I am kinda hoping you can help me with that!

I feel like because baldness is so inevitable in my case, if I beat mpb, it would be like Togo beating Brazil in the world cup final. PLEASE help me out!

Everyone loves an underdog....

Yes, you should start treatment with fin, but it won't save you forever. HT at this age isn't good solution, you may consider it in the future. When it comes to long-term solution - everything depends on the technological development. Look at the cutting edge section in this forum - there are many projects which are being developed. You are young, so undoubtedly one day you will be able to benefit from them.

Thanks for the reply, the thought of possible technological advancements in the future is exciting however does not do much to help me at the moment. I aim to not end up totally bald then get a hair transplant and look like a totally different person, instead i would like to preserve what i have and possibly add to it through surgery/treatments, is this an unrealistic goal?

Your goal is pretty realistic. Finasteride works for a lot of guys in so far that it helps them preserve their hair for many many years. Personally Minoxidil (regain) irritated my scalp and actually caused more hair loss for me so I gave up on it (it can do that to some guys). Maybe start with Finasteride and give it a good 18 months or so. If after 18 months you feel like it's not working then try Minoxidil.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

WELCOME Slappy!
    You joined the RIGHT forum in finding out what is best for you.

For males, Finasteride IS a decent medicine for improving ones hair.
    The most important thing to remember is that you MUST BE realistic.
    Be accepting, stay positive . Do NOT become stressed out over possible hairloss.
    Stress WILL cause physical and mental problems...including hairloss.
    Stay happy and positive Slappy.

Can you post photos of your scalp and hairline ?

thanks Artista and Cali for the advice. Unfortunately I am incredibly self conscious about my hairloss and wouldn't dare post a photo online, i am currently taking medicine for mild depression because of the matter. I know that naturally i would progress to a norwood 6/7 during my lifetime, would this inhibit my chances of getting a hair transplant? Even if i know that i accept that i may need quite a few transplants? how about only getting a low density transplant thus to preserve donor area?

You do NOT get a transplant at your age period. The more hair you can save now with finasteride the less chance there is of you ever becoming a Norwood 6. Could it still happen yes maybe or maybe not (and not for a much longer time). Will it happen without finasteride yes and probably decades sooner.

You may want to ask your Dr about natural anti depressants like St. Johns Wart or 5htp. Many progressive Dr's try those things before drugs.