Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thiningteen
    • Sep 2009

proscar/dutasteride question

I'm 18 and been on propecia about a year with barely any positive progress. I have seen a derm where I am at college and told him my problem and asked about avodart or atleast switching to proscar(for cost purposes) but he said no and wouldn't really discuss much more into it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the possible reasoning for this?
  • California13
    • Dec 2009

Honestly, its not even worth bothering with. Just go to another dermatologist, and keeping going to new ones until you find one that you like. If you dont want to spend all the money on doc appts, try asking the docs staff if the doc is willing to prescribe either of those meds or both. That way, you dont have to pay for a wasted appt. Most derms will prescribe proscar for cost purposes. However, I do know that many derms will not prescribe avodart, particularly to someone so young, since it is not FDA approved for hair loss. It also stays in the body much longer, and from what I understand, has a higher risk for side effects. My advice to you is to find a doc that prescribes proscar, cut it inot quarters, and give it a year or two before you decide that its not working. You also need to map your scalp for minutarization, by a good hair doc, so that you have an objective baseline. Your own subjective assesment of your hais loss is sketchy at best. After a few years, if you still arent satfisied, maybe add rogaine to your routine. Since your so young, your challenge will be sticking with your routine. DO NOT skip doses of propecia/proscar, never allow yourself to run out etc.

Your young, and most likely there will be new treatments by the time your hair loss has progressed too far. Keep the hope alive!!

Comment

• thiningteen
      • Sep 2009

california - do you have an email i can email you at?

Comment

• California13
        • Dec 2009

Sure: California131313@yahoo.com

If I dont reply for a while, feel free to remind me on the forum.

Comment

Working...