+ Reply to Thread

Default Help/Advice Needed - 33 yr old considering 2500 FUT HT

Hi guys. I recently visited with a doctor for a consultation.

The road that took me there:

-At 21, started noticing hairloss along the hairline. Tried applying Rogaine bit it was tedious, messy and itchy so I stopped

-At 23, after losing more hair I started taking proscar. I've taken proscar on and off for the past 10 years

-From 25-28 the hairloss kind of stabilized, then it got worse, but I was able to play around and experiment with different hairstyles to get around it and deal with it

-At 31-32, it started getting worse again and on top of that I was going through painful divorce and loss of job

-At 33, it's finally reached the point where it's hard to be happy with it in the mirror, particularly on the right side where there's more recession

Upon visiting the doctor, who was very nice and at ease, he recommended I get 2500 FUT to recreate my hairline and I ASSUME fortify the sparse hairline currently there which would be behind the new hairline and to densify the layers behind the current hairline.

In my mind, I thought I could justify spending between $5-$7k max, but he told me it'd be $10,750 if I want it done right. If I skimp and do 2000 FUT than maybe $8,500.

It's just too much I think to justify, but I'm caught between a rock and a hard place here. I would love to be able to look the way I always took pride in, and being single again for the first time since I was 23, I'd like to be able to have that same attractiveness. I always placed a lot of emphasis on my hair, fwiw.

I'm openly wondering:

1. Do you think I need 2500 FUT? He hasn't sent me the pictures from what he drew yet (I requested for reference), but I'm wondering if I need as full a hairline as he drew and suggests. I mean, i wouldn't mind having a thinning looking hairline if it was at a more normal level of my forehead and even along both sides. It doesn't have to be impenetrable.

2. What do you think of the cost he quoted? There didn't seem to be any flexibility on it from him unfortunately.

3. Do you think there are other doctors I should consider (I'm in NYC) that might be less expensive without compromising quality or does that price sound fair? (The doctor I saw has gotten positive reviews from this site.)

4. Any comments or questions welcome.

Thanks for your time, as this is a big decision and issue in my life (as pathetic as that sounds to myself as I type it).

i don't know who you talked to, but the price actually seems low for the amount of grafts. one of the top docs charges $6 per graft, which is a good price, and that equates to $15,000 for 2,500 grafts. be careful about who you have do your procedure and where you get your advice. quality not quantity is what you're looking for. also, make sure you use one of the surgeons recommended by this site. there are a lot of chop shops out there with discount pricing that prey on desparate people.

Whatever you decide be sure you go with an IAHRS surgeon. I think most charge an average of $5 per graft and it works on a sliding scale. Some will charge less for more then 2000 grafts. Don't go on the cheap!!!

I agree with both above posters. Do your research and go with a recommended Dr. There are many different prices they charge and many times they make up for travel expences either by a set price or by charging less per graph so dont let travel make your decision. Also your hair looks to be in great shape and depending on the Dr. and your goals you may not need quite as many graphs to recreate your hair line. One other thing....I would recommend staying on the finasteride and not go on and off, you will end up losing anything you saved and it looks like you have the potential to keep a lot of hair! Good Luck!

You do look like you have good quality hair and if you stay on Propecia chances are that you’ll keep it. If you go for a hair transplant listen to the guys here. I’ve seen too many people on these boards who went to no named doctors, $2 per graft clinics or big name national clinics who regret not doing more homework.